OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 8, 2018 11:16 am  #1

This sucks!

Why does this suck so bad? It doesn't matter what I do, everything do is my fault. I'm tired of getting blamed for everything that happens around here. I try so hard to be the better person. I can't even have an opinion anymore because no matter what I say, it's wrong. When things don't go HIS way, its my fault again. I can't leave this relationship right now because of finances but I'm also at the point where I just don't care what happens to me anymore. I'm sad, depressed and broken. If there is a hell, I'm in it. This life sucks!

Last edited by Roo (July 8, 2018 11:35 am)

“And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain, when you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.” ~ Haruki Murakami ~

July 8, 2018 2:14 pm  #2

Re: This sucks!

Roo wrote:

Why does this suck so bad? I reckon it's because you keep seeing yourself through his eyes. Start believing in yourself. You need a mind-shift, It doesn't matter what I do, everything do is my fault. Don't be silly, everything is NOT your fault.  I'm tired of getting blamed for everything that happens around here. I try so hard to be the better person. Stop thinking you have to be  the better person. It's not working. Start doing things for you. Start seeing yourself as the deserving one. I can't even have an opinion anymore because no matter what I say, it's wrong. Stop soaking up his opinion of you, because it sounds like you're starting believe HIM. When things don't go HIS way, its my fault again. It's that mind-shift again. As soon as you feel like he's blaming you for something....think about it. Say to him "this is not MY fault" and walk away from the moment, the argument. I can't leave this relationship right now because of finances but I'm also at the point where I just don't care what happens to me anymore. You've got to care Roo, because when you stop caring about yourself...he wins I'm sad, depressed and broken. ​Yip, me too. But when I stopped putting my partner on his bread-winning "you're better than me" pedestal...that began the mind-shift for me. If there is a hell, I'm in it. This life sucks! Been there, done that. Hell does suck, it's a waste of time so YOU  have to turn it around. You. Step away from the heat, you'll just get burnt

Honestly Roo......get mad, get real, believe in yourself.

*hugs*

Last edited by Ellexoh_nz (July 8, 2018 2:15 pm)

KIA KAHA                       

July 8, 2018 6:05 pm  #3

Have you done any reading on how to live with a narcissist? If you're not able to disengage at the moment then i think you need to research some coping techniques. Do a few web searches and see what resonates with your situation.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

July 8, 2018 9:52 pm  #4

I think there needs to be a clear understanding of the difference between disengaging from a narcissist yet still being married and living in the same house.  and not disengaging.

If you are not disengaging then you are hoping he will love you back or at least care a little and he is likely to be thinking oh good I can still manipulate her to get what I want.

If you engage in boundary setting you are playing a game where he will always be pushing to lower the bar and you are trying to stand up to him.

But if you are emotionally disengaged from him then you can look at him without the rose coloured glasses and see him as he is and respond to what is happening not be manipulated all the time.

Standing up to a bully is not about answering his challenges to you, it is about becoming dispassionate enough towards him not to bother with them.

Last edited by lily (July 8, 2018 9:57 pm)

July 8, 2018 10:01 pm  #5

Great post Lily!!

July 9, 2018 9:45 am  #6

Thank you all for your comments. 
For the past 8 years or more (and probably longer), there has been zero compassion. There is sex yes, but that's all it is ... just sex. But because I know what he has done, it's even worse.
We (mostly) have fun doing things together. We have a boat that we do a lot of offshore fishing with. Do I like it? Mostly. But it's because he likes it, I do it. It seems he never wants to do what I want to do. 
I just see no way out of this situation yet. 

“And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain, when you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.” ~ Haruki Murakami ~

July 9, 2018 2:18 pm  #7

Wondering89 wrote:

Hey roo.......The moment you no longer give a fuck what he thinks things do change......Don’t buy into his shit..

LOL....you said it so much better than me!

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera