OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 19, 2016 7:07 pm  #71

Re: How do I survive this?

I understand what you're saying, guys. But you need to understand that touch from someone who doesn't WANT to touch you isn't worth anything.  If it were really purely about touch, then touch from any woman interested in touching you would do.  But that likely seems unappetizing to you - because it will only be worth something if the touch is from someone you feel loved by.  In which case your mom or daughters or even sons would do. So when it comes down to it, what you want is the touch of a woman who is IN love with you.  But your wives aren't in love with you. They may love you - as a person, as a friend, as the father of their children. But they are not in love with you.  You are still in love with them, which is why you crave that touch.

The truth is that touch from them will keep you feeling connected to them, dragging out the process.  It's like trying to decide to quit smoking - WHILE smoking. How are you quitting while smoking? Is deciding to quit getting you closer to quitting? Not really, no. The problem is that you don't WANT to quit. You want to be in love.  And that's human.  Your wives know this. So they are helping you quit by quitting on you.  They know that touch from them is fake, and honestly, cruel.  It is therefore uncomfortable for them.  They are following their instincts correctly.

Once you break up, you should stop touching.  Period.  Rip that bandaid off.  Your LOVE language may be love - which means that how you feel loved is through touch.  If they don't love you, there is no love language needed. It denotes love where there is none. It's a lie.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (September 19, 2016 7:09 pm)

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

September 19, 2016 7:41 pm  #72

Post-disclosure, I can only recall three times my ex and I got close enough for a hug. First was after we knew what needed to be done, second was when her Mom passed away, third was when my sister's husband died suddenly. The common thread to these was a compassionate reaction to shared grief. As much as we all crave a human touch, it needs to be authentic and reciprocal.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

September 19, 2016 10:57 pm  #73

Agreed on the touch.  My latter hugs to her were like hugging a tree..cold and stiff.  I could feel in my bones the disdain for me.  I stopped doing that.

A hug from a stranger is more warm and authentic.

E-hugs

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 20, 2016 1:47 pm  #74

LostDad, your story, is heartbreaking.  My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your sons.  Don't ever think there isn't a single hetero woman out there who won't give everything they have to find a man like you and many of the other men here just like you.  Trust me, I'm one of them.  I really wish now when I divorced nearly 30 years ago, that I would have at least dated.  I stayed single to raise my son on my own.  He is a well rounded individual for my efforts, married with a wife and children of his own and they are looking to buy their first home, and I'm proud of this even though I've been lonely for years.  I think once your spouse moves out you'll relax a bit more. The sooner she moves out the better for you to start healing.  In honesty, I don't understand what she is still doing in your home now that the divorce has been filed?  I don't say this to hurt you, but she does need to go and the faster the better.  It's time she moves in with SSA lover, why are both of you slowing this transition?  Have you worked out living arrangements?  Are you keeping your home or is she?  If she is, then you need to move or be making preparations to do this. 

Once your divorce is final, who says you can't go out?  Especially when your kids are with your ex. So what if it's not with a woman.  You don't want to do the rebound thing and have that relationship end.  That will be worse for you. Get out and date, make it clear up front you're just interested in a platonic relationship and just want to have some fun, meet new people. Call friends to get together to go to the movies and dinner with.  Ladies get your gf's together and go on a weekend shopping trip and dinner. Have potlucks at your home with single church members. Call a single guy from church who might like a night out of the house or on their day off. Get tickets to go to sports events you might like or a concert. You guys could be each other's wing man's. Go to local festivals, fairs, and events, free concerts in your area. Take up a hobby, go take classes or seminars to learn more on this hobby. Become a volunteer for something that you hold dear to your heart.  Such as working for the American Red Cross they need volunteers all the time or habitat for humanity if you have types of skills they are in desperate need of. Go take dance lessons. As a woman I find it very sexy that a man can dance. Trust me you'll find single women in a dance studio. Offer your time for no kill pet shelters, things like this. You'll meet new women and who knows they might turn out to be the one.  You're off on a whole new great adventure just for you. Make the most of it and everyone else here. Don't look at this as the end but a new beginning none of you would have had if all of this hadn't come to light. Yes, this door has closed but over time a new one will open if you want it too.  In the meantime prepare yourselves to open this new door.  Have fun with it.

One of the hardest things for me was doing things on my own.  My ex wasn't around.  He had visitation and only acted on this once or twice then he stopped coming.  That nearly killed my son that his dad wasn't there for him.  He is an alcoholic and was a hard core drug addict; plus he has suffered from PTSD due to his military service in Vietnam and he was an abused child. I've also suspected for years he is a bisexual closeted male. Coming to this site and reading these stories have helped me determine that I'm right on this. Many of the women on this site their husbands and my own exhibited the very same type of behaviors.  I'm not delusional in the fact my divorce was for different reasons of abandonment and lack of support.  I'm not interested in getting married but to have male friends to share my life with to get out and have fun. I told my son his dad didn't have the ability to take care of himself let alone his son while he was growing up. I explained it wasn't safe for him to be with his dad, he was abusive because of the drugs. I also reassured our son that his dad did love him, in my heart I knew this to be true, he just couldn't be there for him.  My son is now in his 30's.  Low and behold who appeared on my front porch a year and half ago.  My ex.  He wanted to reconnect with our son.  I took his number and contacted our son for him to make the decision regarding his dad. I told him to take the high road and forgive and he could at least meet with his dad to make up his own mind but to leave me out of it. They are very close today. In the long run, I made the right decisions even though they were lonely and hard for me. I did what was best for my son and I'm proud that I did. 

I need to be blunt here over the touch thing you keep mentioning.  You have got to accept she no longer desires your touch and it will make her very uncomfortable for you to touch her if she is a lesbian.  She can't returned the type of touch you desire from her and if you keep trying to make her do this she might become hostile and make your divorce and the things you'd like out of your divorce not so agreeable.  You do need distance now for your own sake and sanity. You needing touch is your humanity, we all need it.  You just need it from another hetero woman.  I caution you to be careful here because of the rebound thing.  I'd talk to other men about this in your divorce group, I'm sure they are feeling the same thing and can help talk you through this. 

Best of luck to you.  I look forward to reading about your progress.  I hope some of my suggestions help all of those here. 

September 20, 2016 4:36 pm  #75

Kel,
truer words! I've tackled both of those "quitting exercises" and they are a bang on comparison.

Yes Lostdad< you need more distance, and to be fair, so does your wife. I can't understand actually why she is still in the home, given your back story. 

I too miss touch & affectionate connection, but I agree with others in that you must tidy up all the emotional ramblings that either got you here or are the outcome of your situation. I look so forward to a healthy, honest, redhot love in my future, i just don't trust myself to make the right decisions right now. Plus I'm too damn tired, unless I'm taken to a movie theatre where i can sleep for 2 hrs, and call it a date, home & pj's it is.

One of my fav memes came to mind while reading these last posts about affection and hugs:

"One day someone is going to hug you so tight, all your broken pieces will be put back together again."

ehugs it is
Sham 

September 20, 2016 4:50 pm  #76

whatasham24 wrote:

"One day someone is going to hug you so tight, all your broken pieces will be put back together again."

That's fantastic!  I love that quote. 

Another quote that struck a chord with me recently is this one:
"The depth of your grief is equal to your ability to love" - In other words, the incredible pain you feel in this low time is a sign that you are capable of such an intense love in your high time.   It makes me feel better about how hard this has hurt me.  If it didn't hurt so much that would mean that I lack the capability of truly and greatly loving someone. 

I can't wait for that day. 

She is at home for a few reasons. 
1.)  When entering divorce, the worst thing you can do is move out of the family home.  This can be called abandonment and will harm chances of child custody in a disputed divorce. 
2.)  We both want as much time as possible with the kids
3.)  Until just recently she was under the impression that she was going to keep the house.  I was not planning to move for the two reasons above.  Now she has decided with my strong agreement that I am going to keep the house.  So she is going to find a new house.  I'm refinancing the house now so that I can clear the debt out of her name so that she can qualify for her own mortgage. 

I don't want to kick her out.  I don't want to fight.  I don't want to have the kids see us hurt each other.  I want her to be stable and have these changes come smoothly so that she's capable of being a great mother to my boys. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

September 21, 2016 6:39 am  #77

Always hopeful I am.  I did get this far..out if the closet..
I'm trying to heal..we're divorced and separated finally.  I try to look forward but the ex  for all she wanted and got seems stuck in hatred of me.  Each day I wait for some new mean thing. Some new accusation or hurtful thing.

Really puts a damper on my healing.  In a sentence ..what part of the word divorce didn't she understand...this is what she wanted. Why is she still trying to hurt me?...I have nothing left to give nor do I owe her the time of day.   They say these narcissist take their need to hurt to the grave.

An example..if her birthday is coming up..a normal kind person might just send a text happy birthday.  But if I do that I open myself up to all kinds of nasty replies. If I don't send a happy birthday I feel I'm not kind...because the years together meant something to me.   Just basic peace between us is all I want..instead I've been no contact else I get meanness similar to my years in hell divorcing her...which what Im trying to heal from..  I would rather die than go through that again.

So im hopeful but still have daggers coming at me even though we're divorced and seperated.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 21, 2016 1:25 pm  #78

Rob wrote:

Always hopeful I am. I did get this far..out if the closet..
I'm trying to heal..we're divorced and separated finally. I try to look forward but the ex for all she wanted and got seems stuck in hatred of me. Each day I wait for some new mean thing. Some new accusation or hurtful thing.

Really puts a damper on my healing. In a sentence ..what part of the word divorce didn't she understand...this is what she wanted. Why is she still trying to hurt me?...I have nothing left to give nor do I owe her the time of day. They say these narcissist take their need to hurt to the grave.

An example..if her birthday is coming up..a normal kind person might just send a text happy birthday. But if I do that I open myself up to all kinds of nasty replies. If I don't send a happy birthday I feel I'm not kind...because the years together meant something to me. Just basic peace between us is all I want..instead I've been no contact else I get meanness similar to my years in hell divorcing her...which what Im trying to heal from.. I would rather die than go through that again.

So im hopeful but still have daggers coming at me even though we're divorced and seperated.

Rob, 

Sorry for being blunt.. .  I forget, do you have kids?  Is that the reason why you are still in contact with her?  If not, then I don't understand why you haven't blocked her on your phone and completely erased her from your life. 

You've been divorced from her for a while, but you are still very angry, very hurt and hung up on her.  What can you do to start healing from this?  You have been through this longer than I have..  I think you have the wisdom and knowledge to know what you need to do..  What is that?  What's stopping you from healing and moving on?

I ask because I care about you.  I want to see you get past her and start a new chapter.. a happy chapter. 
I also want to learn from you and get some experience so that when i reach your stage.. post-divorce and separate, I can move on and disconnect as much as possible.  I know that I will have to co-parent, so I will have some contact with her for the next 10 years+..  but I'm hoping to reach a point where she isn't a painful sign of lost love, but rather, just the mother of my boys and someone that i will work with to try to raise them. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

September 21, 2016 5:14 pm  #79

Rob< I wonder too like lostDad what has you holding onto the hurt so tightly, after already finalizing the divorce, her out of your hair & moving forward. I think I know what may be a factor, because i realized the same thing about me & my hurt/anger with my spouse (although my world only blew up 6 weeks ago I think...i'm bad at keeping track of dates, which is sort of a good thing) Anywhoo, I am still writing about the same ole thing, stuck in the hurt, write letters to him (that i'd never send) & journal because I feel as though I haven't really been heard! He has not given me the opportunity to tell him all the things that have been rattling around in my head since my enlightenment. Without being actually HEARD by our spouse who caused so much trauma & pain, who I still have so many questions about, how could I possibly find closure? And so, I keep revisiting it. I'm hoping that thru therapy & journalling & old fashioned *time* I'll find closure. God knows, by everyone's account here, we will never give me the chance to be heard, nor will we ever hear the truth from them, so best to find other means of finding that resolution. Perhaps you could try that therapy trick of "writing a letter to your offender" but never sending it (or sending it if you need to, but be prepared for more fighting & unrest). It really does work

"Holding onto pain is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die"
????Buddha/Dali Lama ....can't remember the author but one of my favs.

Find Peace Dammit, you're worth it!!

Last edited by whatasham24 (September 21, 2016 5:18 pm)

September 21, 2016 5:28 pm  #80

Agreed. I know you can't block her on your phone because of the kids, but as someone earlier suggested, sorry, forgot who, you can continue to respond to those texts by telling her you aren't playing her game anymore if they don't directly involve kid talk. She may get pissed but I guarantee she'll stop. If they don't, just delete, delete.  Who gives a crap what she thinks anymore?? She's someone else's problem now.

Board footera