OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 3, 2018 11:30 am  #41

Re: Time for a seasonal check-in

Jules,

I'm sorry you have to keep going through the pain of re-telling your story.  But know that it's a cleansing, of types.  The going over and over it again does something magical - it purges it out of your system eventually.  You will learn that if you tell it enough times, it becomes less powerful as you now own the story rather than it owning you.  It's what I've learned, anyway.  Consider it a bit of counseling every time you tell it.  It will eventually get to where it's like any other life event you have lived through and conquered.  You'll eventually be able to say it in the same way that you tell someone that one of your loved ones died, knowing that at one point, that was an extraordinarily painful thing to say, but that you've healed enough for it not to be a story charged with emotion for you.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

July 3, 2018 11:56 am  #42

My update - I feel that I am more confused now then I was in the beginning.  It's been 3 months since my stbx became his "authentic" self. I had no idea that I could go through this much emotional turmoil.  We were renting and about to purchase a home when he told me. So he moved out of this house 6 weeks ago, and I am finally moving out now.  It's a huge step for me.  And I am so uncertain about everything. Especially finances.  We meet with the mediator Thursday to start the process of negotiations.  But it's these petty little things that are making me crazy.  He moved to an apartment. I'm moving into a house. He asked me how we should work out the yard equipment (mower, edger, trimmer, etc). REALLY? You decided to be truthful after 24+ years, and you want to haggle me over the lawn equipment? Shouldn't he just say - take whatever you want. He seemed appalled when we were making the decision about who would file for divorce.  He acted like I should take on this role. BS! I put my foot down on that one. This is not my undoing. This is him and the chaos that he has created.
Last week, my heart was back in that tender stage, where I would see his sweet face during precious times. I cried again, like it was a fresh burn. 
This week - I feel the rage again. I see behind his stupid looking "just for men" bearded face and wonder what kind of person entraps someone into their lives to be their live "beard"? He couldn't really do this to me, could he? But he has. I wondered if he must just hate me to be able to lie to me and make me feel so neglected. But hate would involve more emotion than this.  I believe now that it's just pure apathy. I think there's a better word for it. I just can't find it. He has watched me from inside his head this whole time.  And didn't care. Never thought of how this would hurt me. Me - someone who has spent 24+years taking care of him. And he has no care. He shows emotion when I'm emotional. But I just don't believe it anymore. It's bad enough to relive all those "caring" moments in our past in my head, but he just keeps hurting me and never stops to realize it. He promised that he would be here for the move for me, but now, it's only when he hasn't made plans with his new "friends". Shouldn't he be in some kind of torture for doing this to me? Isn't there anything that makes a person understand what kind of emotional abuse this is? I do not feel ok anymore. I just feel so used and now discarded. I am not a hateful person - but I have found hate now. I'm working on releasing it.  I don't want to be hard or cold. I just can't understand how one person can do this to another. It's so much deeper than I realized in the beginning. The wounds are just unimaginable. Who does this??

Thanks to the people of this forum for letting someone like me get on here and release so much emotion. No one else can understand like the people in this group.
Thank you

Last edited by jesijake (July 3, 2018 11:59 am)

July 3, 2018 1:42 pm  #43

Where am I?

I'm just as lost as I have been from day one.  

​I've told bits and pieces of my story on different threads, so sorry if I repeat myself, but I told our daughter what was going on, about a month ago now.  She's amazing -- if my husband has a brain at all, he'd wake up every morning of his life thinking how lucky he is to have such an amazing daughter in his life, and he'd be dedicating his every living breathing moment going forward, to making sure she has all of the tools she needs to thrive and prosper in her life.

​Hey, a girl can dream ... obviously, that's not what he's doing.

My daughter is deeply hurt and angry, and yet at the same time she acknowledges that for her own good she's going to have to find a way to forgive ... but she says right now she needs to be able to be angry before she can move past it.  He flew out to spend the weekend with her (she's staying in NYC; we live on the west coast) and managed to act like nothing was wrong ... until finally she tried to bring it up with him, at which point he shut down the discussion and basically threatened suicide.

​Let's be clear about this: I don't want to see my daughter suffer, which is the only reason I don't want him to kill himself.  But this reaction infuriated me, and it infuriated her too.  She kept asking me "Why do I have to be the adult in this relationship?  Why am I expected to be the grown-up?"  and I have to say I don't have a good answer.  I want a divorce.  I just don't want him to kill himself.  

​He's always held people in contempt for seeing therapists, counselors, etc.  I think that's the one thing that, more than anything, prevents him from getting any help: he's afraid he'd be judged by the same narrow-minded standards he's always judged everyone else on earth.  On the other hand, I've never heard even a word of criticism about people who opt to end their own lives.  Somehow, I think he imagines them to be strong, masculine and stoic.

​So I'm going to have to overcome all that and convince him he has to get into therapy or counseling of some sort.  This is going to get ugly before it gets any better, and I don't want to have to negotiate the terms of my own future with him holding his own life hostage.  It leaves me without a level playing field.

​My daughter, fortunately, has found a good therapist.  I'm going to seek someone out for myself.  It's just becoming really obvious to me that the marriage doesn't have the fundamental element of trust any more, and there's no point drawing it out.  But I can't have him threatening suicide.

Last edited by walkbymyself (July 3, 2018 2:24 pm)

July 3, 2018 1:44 pm  #44

Shouldn't he be in some kind of torture?  the conclusion I came to is deep down they are, all the time, they have to live with themselves.  

I regret not taking more garden equipment I regret all nice and considerate things I did in divorce I am only glad for how much I did stand up to him - with hindsight I can see it was all about how much he could take from me.  Whereas I had concern for him he had none for me and still doesn't.

July 3, 2018 5:32 pm  #45

Walkby:
   Re, the suicide threats.  My father killed himself.  He was bipolar, and paranoid.  He threatened suicide at least once a year, usually at Christmas (which is when he finally did kill himself, at age 72), and three times in his life before that he made attempts to end his life. My first husband also once threatened to kill himself, and sat in the entry porch to our cabin with a gun, while I, first, walked in circles in the living room in panic, saying I don't remember what aloud, until I finally decided I couldn't stay in that state and went out into the entry porch and demanded he give me the gun.  Which he did. 
      So I am no stranger to being held hostage by a man threatening suicide, and here's what I have to say to you:  Do not let him hold you and your daughter hostage.  Do not let him transfer to you the responsibility for his life.  If you leave him, divorce him, or tell people why you are divorcing him and he decides to end his life that act will be on him and on him alone.  Not on you.  You are not the one picking up the gun or fashioning the noose or taking the pills.  You are not the one pulling the trigger or kicking away the chair or emptying pills into his mouth.  The agency there is his and his alone.   You cannot "make" someone kill himself by walking out the door. 
      Nor is it your responsibility to convince him to see a therapist.  In fact, if you think that you can't leave him because he'll kill himself, and therefore he needs to get help, you will take on yourself the responsibility for his life, which is not your responsibility, even though that is what he wants, that you should feel the obligation, so he can manipulate you.  You cannot "make" him go to therapy or, if he were to go, speak honestly to a therapist.  You cannot make him face his in-denial gayness.  You do not have that power.  You cannot save him.  
     To repeat:  He is using the threat of suicide to protect his closet and himself from having to admit the truth about himself.  Closeted men will do ANYTHING to stay in the closet, and that includes holding you hostage in this way, by making you feel as if you are responsible for his life.  He is using the threat of psychological harm to your daughter to get you to do what he wants.  Do not let him do this to you.  The fact is that if you stay "until he sees a therapist or is no longer suicidal," you play right into his hands, because he can and will continue to use suicide as a threat against you to get you to stay and provide him cover.  
    Listen: he might very well kill himself.  There has been one person on this forum whose husband did indeed kill himself.  But suicide is NEVER the fault of those left behind, although everyone left behind will feel guilty, as if they could or should have prevented it.  It takes a very long time to learn and incorporate that truth.  Suicide is the act of either the desperate or the mentally ill, but neither the desperate nor the mentally ill can be saved by others if they are determined to kill themselves.  My father refused to believe he was mentally ill; we tried to get him help, but he fought us at every turn.  My mother left him to protect my sister from a threat to her life that he made but said came from those persecuting him; even that loss of his wife and his daughter was not enough to convince him he needed to get help.  He was willing to disown us rather than to admit that his paranoid fantasies were fantasies born of a mental imbalance.  
       Your spouse is desperately trying to protect his closet, and he is willing to blackmail you and hold you hostage, and to threaten to inflict a great wound on your daughter in order to do it.  Do you really think that if you stay you will be able to convince him to get help and to come out to a therapist?  How amenable has he been to admitting the truth even to you?  My stbx lives in a closet, too, and I have seen that he will sacrifice pretty much everything in his life to staying in it.  Don't give in to blackmail.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (July 3, 2018 8:24 pm)

July 3, 2018 5:55 pm  #46

OOHC: I'm so, so sorry about your father.  My husband's best friend took his own life a little over a year ago.  He had only recently been diagnosed as very severely bipolar -- up to that point, we'd always assumed his "problem" was alcoholism.  It turns out the alcoholism masked many of the symptoms of the bipolar disorder.  While I'd known him more than half my life, I only learned of his diagnosis around four months before he took his life.  I always felt that in his case, he died of a disease; his doctors had repeatedly hospitalized him trying to get the right combination of medications but nothing seemed to work.

​I have a harder time trying to feel empathy for healthy people who commit (or threaten) suicide.  There is no excuse, I'm sorry, but I think those who are hurt by these acts have earned the right to be angry.  So I'm not going to eulogize anyone who does something like that, absent serious mental illness or a horrible diagnosis they know they can't endure.

I know what you're saying about me getting played here.  But honestly, he needs to get into counseling.  You're right, I can't "reward" him for his suicide threats by giving him what he wants -- a continuation of the marriage -- but he needs to face his own responsibilities to his daughter.

​No easy answers here.

July 3, 2018 6:14 pm  #47

Deleted.

Last edited by Lynne (October 3, 2020 6:14 pm)

July 3, 2018 6:35 pm  #48

I'm sorry or the loss of your friend.  
Of course you are right: he does need to get into counseling, and he does need to face his own responsibilities to his daughter.  I just don't see how you can make him do either of those things, and I'm wondering whether you feeling that you need to do that will make it harder for you to get free.

July 3, 2018 6:49 pm  #49

Thanks, Lynne.  That gives me a lot to think about.

​OOHC, I know.  I don't know the answer, but I think I have leverage to get him to go to therapy.  The rest is up to him.

Last edited by walkbymyself (July 3, 2018 6:50 pm)

July 3, 2018 8:26 pm  #50

No doubt it will certainly take leverage.  You'll have to be determined and strong to use it.  I admire you for that. 

Board footera