OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 26, 2018 8:12 pm  #11

Re: Please help

Things will get better and you will be OK.  I did not believe this at first either, but this is what I was told by everyone that has gone through a divorce or situation such as ours, and it is true.  You need to know and believe that you will be OK, because you will.  It will be hard, and it hurts, and it sucks but you will come out the other side and be whole again.  Also, you are not alone.  This forum has helped me greatly, as does therapy.  Reach out to friends and family for support. I am not big on asking for help, but I am glad I did. So, when you feel lonely, remember that you are not alone.  You are allowed to feel sad, angry, hurt and betrayed, because those are the emotions you are supposed to feel in times like this.  For some reason that took me a while to figure out.  People are amazingly resilient, and that includes you.  So, no matter what happens next, you will figure it out and move forward just as we all have. 

So, if you need comfort this is forum is a great place.  If you just need to vent, if you're pissed, or you have a great day you just want to share, this is a great place to do it.

Last edited by username1 (May 26, 2018 9:32 pm)

June 4, 2018 11:05 am  #12

Thank you everyone for your replies.  I haven't been back online because I just couldn't deal with...anything for awhile.  But now my husband says he's moving out by the end of the month so I have to confront this head on.

Did anyone else have a spouse who blamed them? Not for being gay, but apparently I was a terrible wife and he's not going to put up with me being angry at him and telling him how broken I feel.

I made a couples therapy appt to figure out how to deal with telling the kids and it ended up with him being angry at me.  I'm trying to understand...but it just makes a nightmare situation even worse.

June 4, 2018 12:32 pm  #13

Typical blame shifting. He cant deal with the damage he has caused so he blames you. Mine couldn't cope with the guilt and hurt he has caused and couldn't wait to get out. If he is angry at you then he doesn't have to take responsibility. What you have to hold on to is that IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT. You didnt ask for this. It will get better when he has gone, honestly xx

June 4, 2018 1:43 pm  #14

jenn,

It seems like most if not all of them do that thing where they're angry at US for something we didn't even do.  I think it's because they've tried to deny the truth for so long, and eventually they start to feel like they're trapped under a pile of boulders. And they look up to see what they're up against, and they see us up there - their partner - and sometimes even their kids.  It's not true, really - we are their victims, in reality.  But at that point in time, they can't see that - they are so unhappy that they feel like they could be happy if they could be free - and we are the ones they see as preventing that.  We are the thing holding them back.  Because if they were to just tell us, there would be pain they don't want to cause. And there would be yelling, and blame, and shame. None of which they want. So they avoid that, and just keep on at their hiding game, all the while getting angrier and angrier at us for holding them back.

I've heard this BS before about men telling the woman that all this is their fault - that they (the husband) has been miserable for years, even though they've never mentioned it until now.  It's all just gas lighting and blame shifting.  They don't want anyone to know that they're responsible for the marriage blowing up due to lying and deceit.  So they make up an alternate reason they hope others will believe.  And if they can get YOU to believe it, then they do their damage control right out of the gate.  If YOU believe it's your fault, then you will tell everyone that and they don't need to come out until if and when they feel like it, and they can look like the good husband.  It's all a crock.

I know you're not me, and you have your own personality and tendencies. But if my ex was telling me that him being gay wasn't the real issue here - and telling me that my feelings aren't valid and can't be discussed, I'd be SHOUTING at him about how I don't give a rat's ASS if he agrees with me or not, and I don't need his freaking permission to have feelings.  And if these things that made you such a bad wife were present all along like he'd like you to believe, why didn't he say something before now?  He's trying to get you to eat up the BS he's serving.  Tell him you can see it and smell it and you're not going to be spoon-fed.  You have your own feelings, and you'll scream them from the damned mountain top, if you freaking feel like it.  If he doesn't like your mouth, then he can leave to get some silence.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

June 4, 2018 5:28 pm  #15

He seems to be going our of his way to make me hate him.  He came home today, grabbed a bag and told the kids he was leaving.  Told me he was tired if me yelling at him, flipped me off and left.

I didn't think things could get any worse.  But they just got worse.

June 4, 2018 6:53 pm  #16

I wish my husband would come out! I still don't know if he is straight up gay because he still always wants to have sex with me...yet he will go behind my back and go to a gay sauna for strange sex and is on the prowl for guys on gay hook-up sites. I feel like an idiot because I just can't leave!

“And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain, when you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.” ~ Haruki Murakami ~

June 4, 2018 7:43 pm  #17

Roo, I hope that even though he wants to have sex with you you are refusing him given that you know that he is having sex with random guys who may pass along goodness knows what disease or parasite

Even if you cannot decide whether or not to remain married to him please at least protect your health. It does not matter what term he'd use to define his sexual orientation the fact remains that he is engaging in very risky behavior. "Cad" is the label I'd use.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

June 4, 2018 8:23 pm  #18

Roo wrote:

....I feel like an idiot because I just can't leave!

You're NOT an idiot. It will take you as long as it takes to leave....but Abby is right, protect yourself. If you know absolutely that he's having sex with them..you shouldn't be having sex with him

'hugs for you'

KIA KAHA                       

June 4, 2018 10:05 pm  #19

He just threatened me with custody if I don't let him liquidate our IRA. I can't believe this is my life.

June 4, 2018 11:39 pm  #20

Jenn do you have an attorney?   Don't agree to anything until your attorney reviews it.

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

Board footera