OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 13, 2018 11:14 pm  #1

After 23 years of marriage

When we decided to get married 23 years ago it was after she had come out as a lesbian and then returned to me and decided she was bisexual. It took several years after that before we decided to marry.

Now that our two oldest children are grown and as she is returning to the workforce (she's studying to be a nurse) she has developed strong same-sex attraction again. I only know this because I asked her and continued to ask her how she feels. She says she doesn't want to separate or even sleep in separate beds. We continue to have sex (more often now that I am continually trying to do her well enough that she'll return to me, and she seems to enjoy it) but I continue to feel less and less confident that we can stay together. I find myself starting conversations where I'll urge her to just come out of the closet all the way at the start but end up taking her to bed by the end. 

She wants things to go back to normal, but I want something to happen.  

She can't quite say she's bisexual anymore. She's not convinced of that exactly, but she does say she wants to stay with me. 

Last edited by willjenkins (April 13, 2018 11:14 pm)

April 14, 2018 8:21 pm  #2

Re: After 23 years of marriage

Wondering89

You have helped to put things in perspective for me.

April 14, 2018 9:22 pm  #3

Hi Will,

this is quite a common tale.  tho you seem to be getting more sex than most straight husbands.

I am going to guess tho, because you are wanting to bring things to a head, that it is not bringing the emotional intimacy your instinct says it should.  which is certainly how it was for me and the last time we had sex I found myself crying afterwards I was so sad and my husband got out of bed and said that's it, I'm not going to do it with you any more if you cry.  I stayed a long time further but neither of us wanted sex any more.

my ex identified as bisexual (tho he hid this from me for 37 years) but in the short period we talked about it before he clammed up again I gained the impression that it was men he liked, truth be known.  such a common tale that there was a saying here when I found this site - bi now, gay later.

April 15, 2018 6:09 pm  #4

I've read that women are more sexually fluid than men and I sort of hold onto that as a life preserver. She says that she is mostly attracted to women but also attracted to me. 
Bi today gay tomorrow seems right only tomorrow is 23 years later. 

April 15, 2018 7:29 pm  #5

Yes um what is the choppy sea it is saving you from?  that's the question.  what makes it so important it has to be true even if it isn't (i don't believe it's true, it sounds like bi-lesbian talk to me) but why does it matter so much that she did feel attracted to you albeit now she is saying it's 'mostly' women.

I think the answer to that is that if it is not true, if she has only ever been sexually attracted to women then who is she?    23 years is a long time to hide not feeling romantic towards you.  there is this element of betrayal and deceit.  I don't know if you've heard the saying that often your feelings are a better indicator of what is going on than your thoughts.  but to me it's like if you got the bruises then that's where you got hit.

April 15, 2018 8:21 pm  #6

She has not said that she is no longer attracted to me. She has said that she doesn't feel romantic about anything anymore, however. 

She is depressed. She is anxious. She doesn't want to separate and isn't looking for anyone else. 

I worry that her depression stems from her repressing her orientation.

April 16, 2018 7:42 am  #7

Yes, I think you're right - repressing your sexuality leads to depression and anxiety.

at one stage my ex had an entire wardrobe of grey clothes, even down to his natty underpants.

in the end tho, it was me who came down with the bout of serious depression.  I am still angry with him for that - he watched me suffer and knew why and did nothing but lap it up - I was taking all the blame.  I was doing his depression for him.

I am telling you this, and believe me it is a subject I don't like to dwell on because I left my ex around 40 and I wish I hadn't returned to him and gone through that, it was hell on wheels.

From what I understand bisexuals are same sex attracted, their affections go back and forth but when it comes down to it they fantasise about someone with the same body they have.  I would guess that every time your wife develops romantic feelings for another woman it impairs her ability to be affectionate with you.

Every so often he would give me a hug.  less and less as the years went by.  The chemistry of that hug was oxytocin rich - it was instantly soothing.  But it didn't change the fact that my sexuality was being repressed alongside his.  It numbed me to my pain.

April 16, 2018 12:38 pm  #8

Wondering89 For me the issue isn't primarily about sex. She has never said she doesn't enjoy it with me and I would say that after 23 years of marriage we're fairly active still. It is about feeling confident about the passion being reciprocal. To be blunt: Her orgasms aren't enough verification somehow.

lily: She is affectionate. That isn't the problem...it's more that I know that if I were in a relationship with a man I would be unhappy. I have trouble understanding how she can feel attracted to me while mostly being attracted to women. 

I want to underscore the fact that she hasn't been unfaithful nor has she suggested an open marriage. She has only said that her feelings of same-sex attraction have returned and that she's felt lonely in our marriage. I am glad to work on reconnecting with her, being more present (I am often distracted by the never-ending pile of things to be done for my work and can stay in my head a lot) but if she is staying with me out of fear and obligation and not out of romantic attachment I can't really live with that. 

Last edited by willjenkins (April 16, 2018 1:03 pm)

April 16, 2018 12:48 pm  #9

Will, I am as ever the cynic. Have you thought about why she has now told you of her SSA returning? If she doesn’t want to explore it then wouldn’t it have sufficed to tell you she felt lonely and wanted more connection? Perhaps you should entertain the idea that she is getting you to do the headwork here and hoping that you might instigate setting her free rather than her do the dirty work? Because you sound like a great man who would put her first and my bet is she knows this.

April 16, 2018 12:59 pm  #10

Hi Will. 

Welcome to the forum.   You have a hard situation to figure out.  But it sounds like you are in the right place.  You are also very fortunate to have an open and honest spouse who is sharing her heart with you and not giving it to someone else. 

It sounds to me like she is fighting an internal war.  Her head says she doesn't want to be a lesbian.  She wants to stay with you.  She wants to honor the commitment that she made to you.  She is comfortable in life and doesn't want to strike it out on her own.  She doesn't want the world to see her as being different.   The flip side is that her body is telling her something else.  She has an innate need for that sexual attraction that she can't change no matter how much she wants to. 

The part I don't know about is if and how those sexual desires can change.  I've heard that some people who identify as "BI" can change over time.  But that's just something i've read and I don't know if I believe it 100%. 

My only advice to you is to keep communicating with her.  This journey is much easier when you can do it with a friend who is open with you.  It's easier to stay married if you both chose and it's easier to split amicably if one of you choses that. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

Board footera