OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 5, 2018 11:57 pm  #1

Roller coaster of emotions...

My husband of nearly 30 years (June 1988) on Feb 25th conveyed to me that "I can no  longer live this life. I can't be true to you if I can't be true to myself", he said.  After the shock with having him move in with a man for whom gave him a feeling that I never could and i finally dragged myself out of bed for what seemed to be an eternity of pain, I began to approach the hundred questions I had, despite the advice of family & friends I confided in who told me to STOP all communication with him & leave him as he was not sorry nor did he care. I refused to believe this, knowing the man I loved had never ever hurt me in all the years we were wed.
 i reached out to him to begin the healing process that i so desperately needed. I felt hopeless & didn't care if I lived or died, despite having my 2 beautiful adult daughters being there to pick up the pieces of me he had so easily left behind. it was apparent that we both had loved one another very deeply & were both hurting from what had happened. My husband  for our entire marriage felt guilty that he was never honest about how he never felt that "connection" with me that he so desired. As i discovered my truths about what my husband had struggled with his entire life, i felt both betrayed with the lies and deep sorrow at the same time. It wasn't easy what he did, however he needed to be honest to himself to be happy. My family & those of my friends i confided in, felt the pain was too much for me to bear & that i should stop all communications with him. 'He doesn't care & is now off having a good time" they said. I never knew him to be a man that would cause me intentional pain ever...He was nothing but the perfect person for me... i grieved more not communicating with him. i was beginning to believe what everyone else was telling me, struggling to keep my faith in his love for me. 
After much reading on mixed orientation marriages(MOM), and me recognizing that i couldn't live a life without him in it, i proposed that we try to attempt to reconcile our marriage, and that i was not closed to the possibility of an open marriage. i just wanted us both to have some time to recover from the loss of our marriage as we knew it before making a decision on what i would be able to accept & be happy with within the broad spectrum of open marriages. Apparently it ranges from a monogamous, accepting the gay spouse, to finding a partner who would become part of the family. My husband never thought to ask me about entering into such an agreement as he felt  i deserved better than that. We agreed to meet regularly to discuss our feelings & needs to move forward. On our 1st meeting, he told me he would need someone to meet weekly. i knew i couldn't commit to that so early on in working towards accepting a whole new lifestyle. Unlike weeks prior, where i didn't care if i lived or died, i made a bad judgement & mixed pills & alcohol to handle the pain i was enduring so early on in trying to make things work.  i didn't intend to scare him or anyone else, but he said he would do whatever it took to keep me in his life as his wife. i was concerned he agreed to it as a means to protect me & that he  was sacrificing his happiness for my safety, but after he moved from his new boyfriends home & into a hotel, i thought he truly wanted  what i did.
We agreed to wait on  having him move back in until we spoke with our children, who currently live at home, as well as discuss with my counselor, as she believed it was suspicious that he changed his mind so quickly after seeing how i handled his response earlier in the week, with my bad judgments in  dealing with the pain earlier that week. I mean he chose not to leave his new friend when i had asked him to in week 2.  We still met regularly where we shared meals, watched TV & began to share expressions of our love as husband & wife through kissing & touching one another this past week with intentions on carrying out our plan. It  felt right and he again assured me that it was going to work & that it was what he wanted. 
Today's long awaited visit with the counselor  revealed that he truly won't be happy unless he can share his life and hopefully experience what he had with me along with the feeling he experienced with this man he met only twice (whom i consider a stranger). It was like going back in time to 5 weeks ago when this all happened. 
My counselor feels we need to stay connected and be there on a regular basis for one another, as our deep love & concern for one another will help us both support us through this separation & ultimate divorce. I tend to agree as when i stopped communicating with him, i fell apart.
I now suffer with the remorse of needing him for this unbearable sadness which i am feeling. Asking him to stay with me for a couple of weeks as opposed to returning to what he wants to have in the future. I'm being selfish that i need the support of my best friend in order to heal. It also doesn't help with the hope i  have that he will not be able to live without me as his wife.
I am desperately seeking advice/support from those in this world who truly knows what this feels like  & how they survived losing someone they loved so much.
Hopeless  

April 6, 2018 11:05 am  #2

Re: Roller coaster of emotions...

Hello Uncertain, 

Welcome to the forum.  I'm so sorry you find yourself here.  But I am glad you found us and I hope that we can be very helpful to you as you navigate through this storm. 

There is hope!   I promise you there is.  You just can't see it right now.  I use the "storm" metaphor quite often because I think it's really good.   Imagine you are in a boat on the ocean and you get caught in a terrible storm.  In the midst of that storm, all you can see is dark clouds and danger.  All you can hear is high wind and thunder.  All you can feel is cold and wind and rain.  Your reality at that time is what you can see, hear and feel.   But, that storm is temporary and will pass.  Just outside that storm is beauty and wonder, peace and tranquility, and new hope.  Those things are real too, you just can't wrap your mind around that yet because you can't see it, hear it or feel it.  But in time, you will. 

I know exactly the pain and suffering you talk about.  I was there too.  I know what it's like to not be able to get out of bed, too just want to cry for an entire day.  I remember struggling to watch TV because even normal sitcoms were too stressful.. so I'd watch home repair and cooking shows.  I remember the conflict of needing love and support from the one who pledged their life to love and support me, even though they were the one causing me all the pain and hurting me more than anyone.  Even as she filed for divorce and planned secret liaisons with her new girlfriend.. I would ask her to lay beside me in bed so I could put my head on her chest to hear her heartbeat.  I needed that temporary comfort just to help me survive that day.  The problem is that what I thought I needed was actually hurting me more.  I just didn't know it.  

The "Roller Coaster" you speak of is very real.  There is no way to get off the ride.. you have to stick it out.  But the knowledge that you are on a roller coaster will help you survive it.  Here's a couple important points.  First... The dips and valleys that represent the worst sadness and pain are temporary and are followed by some small inclines when you get a bit of a break.  When you recognize that you are in one of those low points, remind yourself that you are there, but it's temporary.  You know that later in the day or the next day will be better. This way you can convince yourself to wait it out and that makes it easier to survive.   Second, know that the roller coaster has the biggest valleys early in the ride.. As time goes on the valleys are less severe and happen less often.  The highs become more common and last longer.  Unlike a real roller coaster, this one defies gravity and actually can finish higher than where you started.  You'll get there. 

If the decision has been made to separate and divorce and move apart, then your counselor is wrong.  In my opinion, and that of most of our group based on what I've read here, staying connected will only prolong the pain and delay your healing.  Detach fully as quickly as you can.  It's like pulling off a band-aid.. Do it quick in one rip and it hurts a lot for a short time.  Do it slowly and it hurts for a long time.  Unlike a wound on your skin that still heals under a band-aid..  The emotional wounds you need to heal from will remain and fester as long as that band-aid is still on.  Rip that sucker off and start healing.  

Start thinking of him as your ex-husband.  Stop considering how your actions will impact your future relationship with him... because you are no longer intertwined into each other's lives.  Start thinking of him as your children's father and your ex-husband.  What he does with his life will not be of much concern to you in a few years, so try to start thinking that way as soon as you can.  I won't say this is easy, but if you can do it it will help you heal more quickly. 

Keep posting.. keep sharing.  Let us know how we can help.  We are here for you. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

April 6, 2018 12:49 pm  #3

After 30+ years of marriage my husband announced he was gay and was leaving, but not for six months. At first I hoped that somehow we could stay together and at that low point I probably would have let him move a lover in and acted as their maid. He had dropped the bomb on the way to the airport to leave on a business trip & we had agreed not to tell our young adult children until after Christmas. That was the saddest Christmas ever because the atmosphere was so frigid that when I had him tell them in January what was going on neither was surprised. Were they angry at him?  Yes because they thought he was very selfish to spring this on me at almost 60.

By the time he moved out in that spring I was glad to see him go. We would not put the house on the market for several years because of the housing market crash and did not divorce until after it sold but I mentally had begun moving on. I found a pamphlet at church for widows about what to do when your spouse is gone and I started thinking of him as an unburied corpse. He was about as useless and it was up to me, with God's help, to make my remaining years good ones for myself and our children.

Based on my experience I do not recommend staying in the same house any longer than possible. You need to get used to living alone in order to gain confidence in your ability to do so. Start venturing out into the world and trying new things and going new places when you feel ready. It probably is more usual than unusual for the romance that brought him out of the closet to end fairly soon after he leaves the family home. Mine dated a woman for a while after that and apparently tried to revert to claiming he was "bi" but my mantra was "Whatever he is he isn't for me!" At some point you probably will realize that wouldn't take him back if he begged you.

You don't need to be angry although that can be a powerful motivator but you do need to recognize that this is a chapter of your life that is over. There is no going back to the way things were but your life still can have joy. The next chapters are yours to write.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

April 7, 2018 12:15 am  #4

Uncertain5102 wrote:

My husband of nearly 30 years....I am desperately seeking advice/support from those in this world who truly knows what this feels like  & how they survived losing someone they loved so much.
Hopeless  

Uncertain....for me it was one day at a time, and one step forward & two steps back much of the time...in the beginning. I went from thinking a MOM was the way to go.....to thinking "no way can I live like this!" It's excruciatingly painful. We are still together, he (my life-partner) is sure we can work this out. I'm unsure if this means he just gets better at hiding stuff, I have zero trust in him anyway. But I'm dependent on him to live, which angers me because until his admission of a desire to experiment with men....I didn't see myself this way! It was simply his admission that changed the dynamic of (what I thought was) a strong unbreakable r'ship.

These dynamics of your relationship will never match/be the same as mine...but I have realised I will have to continue living in the twilight, this not-quite-a-true-r'ship time until something monumental changes in the way I see 
myself and what I feel for the man who is still beside me

KIA KAHA                       

April 7, 2018 11:20 am  #5

Ellexoh,

I just wanted to say I think your doing fine...you're exactly where you need to be at this point in time.. 
All too often we get the impression on the board here that one must immediately flee or kick out their spouse.  But that is not reality and we are all different...sure we all have a lot of similarities here but its not a one size fits all. For example I was in the same house with my GX even after the divorce was signed.
That is what we had to do. 

Wishing you strength fortitude and wisdom.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

April 7, 2018 2:55 pm  #6

Totally with you. Married 27 years and he was my best friend. He moved out on Friday. I too tried to make it work. We’ve been struggling on since September when he said he couldn’t live with me anymore.
Can I just say even though it’s only been 2 days I feel relieved. I also feel sad and lonely and scared of the future a bit but I am more relaxed already. I didn’t realise how tense I was and how low my self esteem had got.
To have someone who you have shared a lifetime with avert their eyes when you undress or worse leave the room is beyond bearable. We deserve better.

April 7, 2018 4:38 pm  #7

Greyhound gal,
 What you describe is exactly how I feel.  Relieved and relaxed, with the lack of tension so noticeable and welcome.  And I, too, am noticing just how low my self esteem had gotten.  But I'm also sad and lonely and scared of the future--for now (thanks Rob, for that phrase!).  I think the good part is going to get even better and the bad part will eventually fade into the past.  
  My son took me out to lunch today, helped me set up my new tv, and then gave me a housewarming present of a bottle of wine, so at least I'm feeling cherished and cared for and loved.  It is very odd, though, to see our relationship change, because I'm the one who has been "the adult" and "the mom."  

April 7, 2018 6:57 pm  #8

yes me too.  exactly the same.  immediately more relaxed despite being scared and lonely.  immediately aware of how low my confidence was - i.e. it must have immediately improved but that was just the start,  I am even more shocked now at how low it had got as I recover more.

all those years of blaming my childhood for feeling anxious and unconfident and not a bit of it, it was just him deflecting the blame - now I am remembering my pre- GIDH confidence and it was so much better at 19 than at any point in our relationship.  It's just so shocking how fast it goes down and I think, even tho you're not aware it is happening at the time, it's because you're with a husband that doesn't fancy you and that's the message you absorb.

April 8, 2018 7:57 pm  #9

Pheonix. You’re kind words could not have come at a more appropriate time. The problem of me thinking I needed him to get through this terrible life altering event was terribly wrong. These last 48hours have been the worst since this all began more 6 weeks ago. Too complicated to get into right now. I just wanted to take the time to thank you & those involved with the site. The support I have felt by reading this site has been re-assuring. I carry a copy of what your initial response has been as it keeps me reminded that there is a silver lining. I have shared it with many,, including my spouse who I now don't trust has the level of pain & suffering which I am experiencing. Keeping busy today with all of the things that need to get done (taxes, grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc). Something I hat my spouse for at the moment, as he basically walked away from all responsibilities & has his new shoulder to cry on, among other things I'm sure. 
For those who are in the initial phases of finding out their spouse is not straight & are considering a MOM, I caution you to find out early the minimal needs & expectations of the bi or gay spouse...Within 1 week of agreeing to consider an open relationship, something that I have read should go slowly in the beginning to allow for acceptance & understanding of one another feelings & emotions towards a new relationship, I was crushed again to find a very selfish individual who wanted things their way. NOT the person I devoted my life to for 35+ years. I fear I will hate him for this & give a shit less if I ever see/talk to him again.

April 9, 2018 10:11 am  #10

Uncertain, 
Thank you for the incredibly kind feedback.  I'm so happy to know that I've made even a small difference in your life.  That's exactly what keeps me here on forum.  I'm blessed to have so many other brothers and sisters in this online family who do the same.  We all have a passion for using our rare and painful experiences to help others walk the same path.  Hopefully we can help encourage you and guide you so that your walk is easier. 

Be kind to yourself in these most difficult days.  Don't set high expectations for yourself.  Allow yourself to feel the emotions.  It's great to keep busy as that helps you keep your mind off of things for a while.  It's a nice escape sometimes.   But don't overwhelm yourself.  If you need a day off to stay in bed, do that.  

Keep sharing whatever you feel comfortable sharing.  Stick around.  Let us know what you are struggling with so that we can continue to support you. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

Board footera