OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 28, 2018 6:23 am  #1

There is nothing left...

Hi everybody, i not used to write on forums or in anyway ask for help before trying to solve a problem on my own...but this time im affraid i cant do it...i dont even know what i feel! I was in a relationship for 6 years, almost 3 years married and also i have a little boy, who is now 2,5.
Our relationship was almost in any aspect perfect..we had everything...love, trust, friendship, support..everything that a person could wish for. But after i gave a birth to our son, something happend. With me..well the labour was really hard and I got a lot of stiches, so it took a while that i was prepared to have sex with my husband. But something was wierd, something was off... All until now, i thought it was my foult,,at least he said it was...i thought that after the birth something changed in me and i couldnt connect with him as i did before.  To be honest, until now,  i couldnt believe how lucky i am, that my husband understands what am i going through.
But 2 tweeks ago it came from nowehere...he is leaving me...he is leaving us... he didnt want to tell me the reason but somehow he made me believe that we just grew appart, because of my " problem" and that the family is not something that he wants. Somehow, i knew he is not telling me something  and i was right. Two days ago he came out, telling me he is gay..and he knew it before but ignored all the obvious "signs". He allso confessed that everything that he barried deep deep inside of him, kicked back when we got our babyboy and that he cant live in a lie anymore and that i need to deal with it.
How the hell can i deal with it? I dont even know how i feel? There are some moments in a day that i can think clearly and im full of optimism that its better like that and at least (thank god) he wasnt waiting to do this for the next 20 years...but still..it hurts so bed! I can not sleep, i can not eat...there are constant images of him front of my face, telling me he likes men and trans. 
On that very moment that he told me the truth, i wasnt mad, i was scared. I was so SCARED.Scared for him, for our son and for me...what doest that mean? I huged him and i let him cry.
And now, when i need him, to survive this mess that he pulled me into, he said i need to suck it up, that im a big girl! Im so angry, confused, sad and scared at the moment that i dont know what to do... But i know i need to be there for him and for my son.
The problem is, that he opened just to me and i can not tell it to anyone...
Please tell me, how did you do it, how did you put a smile on your face every morning so that your child didnt see you suffering? How long did it take you accepting the situation and start to live again.. how did your kids react, knowing that their dad is gay?

Thank you,
Confused

March 28, 2018 3:49 pm  #2

Re: There is nothing left...

Welcome to the group Confused.  I'm sorry your husband lied to you for so long and then bailed on you.  That is truly awful.  

Your story about things changing after your son was born doesn't shock me.  I think many of our gay spouses tried to be straight.  They tried very hard.  Many of them thought they could do it..   "If I just get married and love my spouse so much, then I'll be able to enjoy sex".  "If we have a family it will make me want to fully love my spouse".    They delude themselves thinking that the more involved they get in marriage and family, the easier it will be for them to be straight.   That is.. until it happens.  They get married or have kids and realize that nothing has changed.. in fact it's now worse.  They are even more trapped and are now missing that fictional future event that "should" make them want to be straight.  

How do we survive..   One day at a time!!!!    You will as well.   Don't stress over things that are weeks or months or years down the road.  Limit your stress to what you can influence today.  Let decisions and problems of the future wait until the future.   

You don't have to keep this secret.  You are allowed to seek out support to get you through this trauma.  That doesn't mean we "out" them in a spiteful and public way of course.   It just means that you have every right to build a support group of close friends and family.   The abused should never be forced to keep a secret to protect the abuser.   

Keep sharing and let us know how we can help!

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

Board footera