OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 18, 2018 10:29 pm  #11

Re: Afraid to be Alone

Outofhiscloset, Thanks again. I know my life is going to change.  I now see how very manipulative my husband can be. He is still in denial, and he will remain in his closet. He did admit he only had "one" sexual encounter with a man......what BS!  But I am very thankful he at least admitted to that. Because now I have no reservations about leaving him. 

I just joined a new church by myself, I workout at a gym , and still have business travel weekly and I am meeting new friends. It such an adjustment using the pronoun "I" instead of "We."

February 18, 2018 11:06 pm  #12

I’m already alone, I’m just married and alone.

February 19, 2018 7:49 am  #13

Cindy's,

Very good for you.   It took me sometime to get used to I instead of we..I always put her and the kids first..it was such a change ..  I'm kind to myself now.

Walk,

Alone is ok.. And yes we were alone in the marriage also...looking back I never saw the gay...the narccism sure.   But if I had to put my finger on it..I was happy but always felt a tinge lonely..   One may think that is normal but I wonder if that the difference between being,married to an authentic straight person as opposed to a gay person that was never quite "all in". 

Anyway alone is ok.  Nothing to fear ..better than being treated like crap.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

February 19, 2018 9:22 am  #14

When we find out or spouse is gay/lesbian and we start to see our marriage and lifestyle as we know it fall apart, it is completely normal to fear the future and to fear being alone.  In this time in our lives we see only loss, damage, thing being taken away, changes for the worse.  Those things in our life are concrete and visible and easy to imagine being destroyed..  the house, the marriage, the bank account, the social network, the furniture and other belongings, the holidays and traditions.  These are real in our lives and they are about to change, so we focus on the loss of these things. 

But there is new life that will come in the future.  New perspectives, new relationships, new traditions, new hobbies, new freedom, new hopes and desires and new optimism.  These things will be real in the future, but you can't see them now.  They are so much harder to imagine.  Instead of focusing on these good things, we only see the bad.  

I use the analogy of being on a boat in a storm very often.  Imagine being stranded on a small boat in the ocean in the middle of a storm, being tossed around by the current and the waves and the blowing winds.  You're getting hit with blinding rain, it's dark and dangerous, life seems to be falling apart around us.  At this point, all we can see is the destruction around us because that's what is hitting us in the face.   But that storm is temporary and it will pass.  Beyond the storm lies new life.  After the clouds and wind and rain pass, the seas will calm and the sun will shine.  You will be able to see much further and more clearly.  There is beauty, peace, calm, new adventures, and joy in the future.  It's out there..   We just have to ride out the storm to get to this new place.   

So I encourage everyone to remember that even though we can only visualize the storm at this point, it's just a short time in our lives and when it passes there is new life.   It's harder to imagine the new life, because we can't picture it in our minds yet..  but it's there.  Try to have to optimism and look forward to what you will encounter in the future. 

Cindys.  I'm more than 18 months past D-Day and 15 months past divorce and separation.  I'm alone right now and have been for most of that time period, and I'm ok.  Turns out I don't need that love to be happy.  I'm happy by myself.  My life is completely different.  I have SO MUCH FUN.   I have new hobbies and new friends.  My house is a complete "bachelor pad" and I love it.  I have regular activities 3 of the 5 weekdays and I have been travelling (near and far) almost every other weekend.  Life is great!      Full disclosure.. i do miss having a partner in life.  My heart is full and ready to love someone else.  But my life is not bad because I'm alone.  If I never find another wife, it's ok.  I have God and my kids and my friends and lots of Joy in my life.    You will too..  give yourself some time to weather the storm and see what beauty lies ahead. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

February 19, 2018 1:07 pm  #15

Rob wrote:

Walk,

Alone is ok.. And yes we were alone in the marriage also...looking back I never saw the gay...the narccism sure. But if I had to put my finger on it..I was happy but always felt a tinge lonely.. One may think that is normal but I wonder if that the difference between being,married to an authentic straight person as opposed to a gay person that was never quite "all in".

Anyway alone is ok. Nothing to fear ..better than being treated like crap.

Before I was married, I lived alone for twenty years.  My sister used to tell me she was a little envious of me, because she really didn't have the experience of living alone; she had roommates through college, then moved back home, then got married.  So I was never as intimidated by the idea of living on my own -- and I had many, many great friends and wonderful adventures when I lived alone.  I really didn't understand the difference between "solitude" and "loneliness" until I got married and realized how alone I am when I'm with someone else, if that makes sense.

Also Rob, check your inbox.

Last edited by walkbymyself (February 19, 2018 1:11 pm)

February 20, 2018 2:00 am  #16

I have got to pray for courage to leave. His manipulation and how he minimizes his actions continues. He makes me question everything. He says sex is not that important for couples like us in their 60's and usually couples only have sex 2 times a month......and he now wants to be intimate with me again. There is no way I want to be intimate with him, I no longer desire him or trust him. But he has me thinking that 90% of my life is great, we have friends and a new home and life is fun......so this little 10% of his deviant behavior should be no big deal. But I can't bury my head in the sand anymore.....I want to hold onto Hope that just maybe, just maybe I can find true love........

February 20, 2018 6:56 am  #17

Hi Cindys,
I’m 3 years out of a 30+ year marriage, the last 5 were hell. You know what my biggest regret is? That I didn’t do it sooner, wasting years I’ll never get back thinking and hoping things would change. It never did. I’m alone now, but happy. I’ve worked on healing, friends and family, and life is good. You can do it. I read a book years ago called “ Feel the fear but do it anyway.” It’s so true. Don’t look too far in the future right now, just know that the 10% is killing your soul, and you deserve better.
Hugs.

February 20, 2018 9:36 am  #18

Cindys you mentioned before you were living in Paradise.
My defintion of Paradise is freedom-
Freedom from worry and doubt about the reality of your life and having the freedom to make it what YOU want.
My definition of Hell is the opposite-
Trapped in a constant battle of worry and doubt and being duped into thinking the person causing this doubt is needed to give your life what you want. 
Regardless of the perfect looking bubble another person helped us to build around ourselves...it's still a bubble. It can change form but bound to burst anytime because it lacks a solid foundation.
The best thing about starting over is you bulid your own foundation from the ground up with better knowledge of what a true foundation should be. It takes some work but it's the best way to get to real freedom. Then you'll get a better picture of Paradise. I wish you all the best my friend.

Life is like phases of the moon.... We really only see it when it's beautiful, full and in our face. 

February 22, 2018 8:32 am  #19

Scrupulous, Thank you. Your note resonated with me. At times, I feel my husband's lies hold me hostage, because I want to believe him so badly. But I know the truth. I will have my freedom,  I will be divorcing him. At 63 years old, I have no more time to give to this toxic relationship. I want out, and hopefully i will find Paradise again.

Hugs to you, my friend. 
Always, cindy

February 22, 2018 9:53 am  #20

Dear Cindys:

A few years ago my family joined the Y.  The kids and I went in for our ID tags.  I was happy seeing the other families there laughing, swimming, taking classes.  I held out hope that we could join in for some of that family time together as well.  I invited H on a Sunday afternoon to accompany us so that he could get registered.  His response, "there is nothing there for me..."  My answer, "the kids and I are there, aren't we enough of something?"
His silence told me everything I needed to know.
I am and have always been alone in this marriage.  I matter and I will no longer stand for anyone in my life who treats me as if I don't.
If a marriage is destined to work, both people need to make an effort, both people must want the same things, both people must be from the same planet.
Be strong!  Life although no matter who  you are with will never be perfect, what we have now is really-truly broken.  No glue, duct tape or blinders will ever change the broken in this.
~Detour

Last edited by detour (February 22, 2018 9:54 am)

Board footera