OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 20, 2017 9:17 pm  #1

To tell or not to tell our son...

32 years married straight wife here. I thought for many years I was in a happy marriage. It was a happy delusion because I thought he truly loved me. He showed it in so many thoughtful ways. Even though he
has an alchol addiction, I stuck with him through all of the relapses, rehab and even the duis because I made a lifetime commitment and I loved him. I made a conscious decision to stay in love, to put our marriage first, to remain faithful and to think of all of his wonderful qualities. He is so thoughtful. A good provider. He is generous and seemingly kind. We had so much fun together even though he drank too much. We decided to have a child. We have a son who is an amazing, wonderful young man, now 18 with a history of anxiety and depression. My husband  became less interested in sex. He stressed over his performance, had ED, even though I enjoyed all of it anyway. He blamed his many medications for anxiety, depression and alcohol tratment and I believed it, although I did wonder why it was alway me who had to initiate. Four years ago, after his second dui, he dropped a bomb on me. He was abused by a priest and an Uncle from age 10 to 14 after his mom had died and he was vulnerable I was in shock. How could he never tell me?  But how truly evil that it happened to him and I was going to stick with him. Maybe he would recover since he told someone (me and therapists) what was really wrong. PTSD. Horrible abuse and trauma after losing his mom. His dad was an absent alcoholic. God, really really horrific stuff. My husband became emotionaaly withdrawn from our son and myself. He worked all the time and just abandoned us emotionally for years.  But I tried so hard to keep everything together because I wanted my son to have an intact family and I still loved my husband. He lied to me, over and over about drinking. He lied about it so many times it just ruined the trust I had in him. He knew I would not accept him drinking in the house so he learned to take it out of town during business trips. To me, the most hurtful marital issue is how he left me to deal with our son's issues by myself. I begged him to please give me emotional support and to please be a co-parent but he never has. A little over a year ago, I found another bomb within our marriage. My husband was visiting gay bars. Frequently. If I had not discovered it as a fluke he would never have told me. I have been completely crushed by it as so many of you have here. He has gaslighted and stonewalled me. He admitted to having gay sex but will not ever discuss any of it with me. I have grived for more than a year and am still grieving. I have lost my (not) best friend.  I got a post-nuptial agreement and a therapist. Our son who is still living at home thinks the problem is the alcohol addiction. My husband lies to him constantly and makes promises about things that never fet better. Since the post-nup my husband has come home intoxicated when I have been out of town and our son witnesses it. He has hurt our son so much already with the abandonment and the lies. Now he is lying to him and saying he is fine and I am sure there are talks about me doing or not doing things to cause the drinking etc.  So here is the biggest struggle I currently have:  Should I tell our son what is really happening and that Dad is still a big fat selfish lying cheating whoring sack of cruel unloving ##%# to both of us?  Or should I wait?  I think it will rock his world. He is in the first semester of college. I just wanted to get him partly launched before it all blows up. Please weigh in. Separation is more likely for us because Divorce is not in my best interest financially. I essentially have an excellent separation agreement through the post-nup. Everyone seems to say the kids even if they are grown do not need or want to know why. What do you all think?  This is the hardest thing ever in my life. Hugs to anyone suffering as I am.

September 20, 2017 10:02 pm  #2

Re: To tell or not to tell our son...

Hello Goonnowgo,

I am sorry you found yourself here, however I hope you find in this forum strenth and support you are looking for.
It is hard to learn that the person you married is not the one you thought so. That your devotion and commitment meant nothing to the same person you thought of as of your best friend.

Because of the double standard in this world, we are scared or ashamed of spilling our gay spouses secrerts. Because people tend to see them as a victim when in fact we are. They excuse their infedility cause they are gay and because environment does not treat them equal .
I struggle myself if I should say anything to my GHID family. They know nothing. They think he found a new woman since we could not get along. And maybe now we will be happier in seperate lives.
But they don't know that there is a deeper problem. That I am not the problem. Still I have to take that blame, because of my husband's denial who does not want to share this with his family.
They, in the other hand, got used  to the new reality so quickly that it hurts me so much, because I still have to take a part or blame for the broken marriage. But then I do not know if it's worth to say anything.

I do not know what should you do.
It is a difficult subject. And you are talking about your son suffering from anxiety and depression. 
My kids are too young to know in my opinion. Some day they will have to find out and my GHID will have to uncover himself or he will break another women's life instead of becoming true to himself.
I hope somebody here with adult kids who had to face that reality about their parents' sexuality, will have a better advice for you.
Take care of yourself.

Last edited by Lena (September 21, 2017 9:49 am)

September 20, 2017 10:23 pm  #3

Lena, you are so thoughtful in your response to my post. I wish neither of us had to br here. But, there is some comfort in being able to share our pain with others who understand it. It should not be easier to speak with strangers about this but it is somehow. Yes, I feel there is stigma attached to us as the spouses. Will people think we are stupid or to blame for believing the lies?  They don't know how good some liars are and how they know you will believe them because of your love for them. It is the worst kind of betrayal to be deceived so well by the person you love so much. But then to find out they are not even the person you thought they were. It just blows your world apart.  I have only told 1 person other than my therapist and my attorney. Yet I just told anyone who can view this forum. Very difficult. Thank you again for replying to me. I feel that at least one other human being understands.

September 20, 2017 11:00 pm  #4

Goonowgo,

I may be in the minority here but I would say no, no need to tell him ..  My older teenager took our toxic household and divorce harder than the younger kid.   In one of his meltdowns in our toxic house where he got no empathy from his mother only rage .. I was always an ear to listen..I did not tell but he came close saying this all started when mom starting hanging out with her friend. 

You mention that he has anxiety and depression. already..  As  much as I was hurting  and had swears and objects flying my way ..sometimes in front of the kids... this is not their burden to bear... a teenager has enough of their own problems and fears.  Its not like my kids could really help me...we're supposed to help them. 

We're divorced and live in separate houses now and I still feel that was the best decision ...the older one still does not want to hear about anything between his mom and me...  The kids just want a mom and dad.
They are doing fine.

If they were to ask me now I'll tell them my side... ... but while in the thick of it or even now.  I just could not see any gain in telling them what their mom did. or how much she hurt me.  They didn't need anything else to worry about...they had their mom destroying the family for that....I would not add to their worry and fears.      It's totally hard when we are hurting I know..   I figured if I had such a hard time processing TGT, how could a kid possible process/understand it.   And as much as I would have liked to say mom is a lying abusive gay narcissist..it would not help the kids with their mom...   (...my kids know what to call mom for and know what to call dad for.  I even joked to one..want your mom to call for that?...NO dad not her..she'll swear and scream..) 

Just be the most stable rock, consistent, reliable, empathetic thing in his life..  These kids  (and they are still kids) need one parent that  they can rely on..familiar,  loyal...  

A kind e-hug welcome to the forum..

Last edited by Rob (September 20, 2017 11:01 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 20, 2017 11:34 pm  #5

Goonnowgo, have you considered Al-Anon or Alateen for your son? It might be a valuable outlet for him to help deal with that aspect of his life and how it affects his relationship with his father. As others have suggested, it might not be a good time yet to volunteer the whole truth. That being said, if he began to put it all together and asked if his father was gay, I don't think I'd lie.

Take care of yourself.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

September 21, 2017 7:03 am  #6

I second Daryl's suggestion, but would suggest looking for the group "Adult Children of Alcoholics" (ACOA).  

I, too, struggle with what to tell my son, now in his late 20s, when I make the break from his father, who declared himself transgendered two and a half years ago.  At first, I was certain that I wanted to spare him all the questioning he will be forced to subject himself to when he knows--in detail similar to but also different from what I went through--at a time when he was coming into his own manhood. He, too, had struggles growing up.  Lately I have begun to feel that I want him to know, not so he can take sides, but because I lived for over two years in my husband's closet and felt how distorting that was to my relationships with family and colleagues. I withheld, I avoided, I withdrew. I was inauthentic and distant.  I took on, in fact, exactly the same characteristics exhibited by my spouse all these years (we'd been married for 32 years when he disclosed his feelings) that so damaged our marriage and our family.  One of the reasons I am finally moving to tell more people (I finally told my mother this summer) is precisely because I have realized how damaging to me and to my relationships living in the closet has been.  I am a person who thrives on openness and authenticity; I'm a  "what you see is what you get" person, not good at hiding or disguising or acting in stealth. (In fact, the past couple of months going stealth while I plan my exit have been extremely difficult for me because it makes me feel dishonest.)  I grew up in a family with a mentally ill father who regularly threatened and attempted suicide, and this was kept a secret from everyone; the situation at home was bad enough, but the secrecy compounded it, and kept us from getting help (my father didn't want it, but the rest of us could have been helped). I want an honest relationship with my son, and I want him to be honest with himself and in his own life.  Moreover, since my spouse's disclosure I have come to see that the conditions in our home while my son was growing up can be traced to the distortions in my husband's personality caused by his struggle with himself, which has helped me stop blaming myself, and I wonder if knowing the real truth might help my son in the same way.  Let him off the hook, so to speak, of the terrible burden of feeling responsible for keeping his parents happy.  I haven't decided exactly what I'm going to tell him, but I'm no longer thinking I will "spare" him.  Silence and secrets don't "spare" anyone; they warp, distort, and damage.

September 21, 2017 8:21 am  #7

This is such a hard topic.  I don't think we will ever arrive a consensus agreement about what is best.  So i think you will get very different opinions.. all of which are valid, well-thought out, and very reasonable.  Ultimately I think it will come down to what you feel is best. 

My opinion:  I believe the truth is important and should be shared if it has any impact on their lives.  The father's behavior clearly harms the son and I think the son deserves to understand the truth.  I think truth wins.. 
I also believe that learning the truth is always easier at a younger age.  We seem to have this idea that people can handle more stress as they get older.  This might be true, but I think the amount of stress the world heaps on a person increases significantly anyway.  High school is worse than middle school, which is worse than grade school.  College is worse and every year further into college is worse.. then you start a job and the real world and the stresses of life grow.  I think the sooner the better..  I've yet to hear anyone ever show that it was easier to learn the truth at a later age vs. earlier. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

September 21, 2017 9:11 am  #8

I agree with Phoenix.  I don't think there's one answer, one right or wrong on this issue.  Reading others' thoughts and others' experiences help us as we think through our situations, but what we decide will come from our own feelings and our knowledge of our own children.

September 21, 2017 1:43 pm  #9

OutofHisCloset wrote:

Telling our two adult children was one of the worst things I've ever had to do, but I decided as their father thought 
his bisexuality should have no great effect on our lives, and that I should accept the "5%" of who he is.....then the 
2 people we made together should know too. 

We are ALL hurting. But while the 3 of us are able to discuss this.....my partner won't.

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera