OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 25, 2017 3:43 pm  #1

The odds are against us now.

My husband told me he was transgender in Jan. But that he wouldnt want bottom surgery, is still only attracted to female (maybe a three some), and experienced no disphia. He said he never really felt comfortable within himself but thought that was normal. Thought that he was normal. He says he is realizing all this in real time and telling me as he sees things more clearly. I believe from his expression of his struggles that he is telling the truth... but as more time passes the disclosures continue.

Last night he told me He is having disphoria now, will have bottom surgery one day and isn't sure if he is bi curious or if it is more than that.

He hasn't started hormones but even now I see the chances for us making this work dwindle. I was always afraid I wouldn't be attracted to a she version of my husband... but I do love him. These days sometimes I feel I'm loosing that love. He has changed so much in these past few months. When he reads books to our 5 year old I hear him use his female voice... it turns my stomach in a way that makes my skin crawl.

If him being transgender wasn't enough, full transition is something he wants... and on top of that... if i could even mange to find a way to carve out happiness admits all his burden...it all runs the risk of him being gay .. straight trans woman what ever bullshit hell want to call it....

He even wants to have another baby... After this recent accidental pregnancy which was lossed in miscarriage, I reallized... my heart will always ache for another child... but I can not have another child with him. I'm not really ready to tell him that...

Oh and by the way... this most recent conversation was on our daughters 5th birthday. I had already been feeling all the mom feels. As her last day of Preschool was her birthday also. Kindergarten starts on Monday. And there is this voice deep within... whispering coldly "Your only child is going to Kindergarten. Bandage yourself together best you can muster and enjoy these days.You only get to do this once."

But my heart weeps.. weeps for soo many reasons. How will I find the strength to find happiness. I was happy with our little life. And he... he's taken it from me.... 

Sorry if I'm not making sense.. I'm just so very overwhelmed and sad.. Thank you for reading. Takecare.

August 25, 2017 8:56 pm  #2

Re: The odds are against us now.

katie62,

"..How will I find the strength to find happiness. I was happy with our little life. And he... he's taken it from me.... "

Strength is found in many places..firends, family, God, here etc.

One strength  is that 5 year old daughter who needs a parent that puts her first. Your spouse... is not putting her first.    Our kids bind us to this earth and give us purpose.   They will need us now and later in life.   Our fierce authentic love for them is greater than these spouses can comprehend  Redirect that fierce love on your daughter and self.
(your spouse can keep his attention on his body since he loves that so much).

Build your support system and walk forward.

a kind e-hug

Last edited by Rob (August 25, 2017 10:13 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 25, 2017 9:35 pm  #3

Katie,
 Get out now.  There is no chance you can make this work.  You are young enough to find love again and have another child.  
  I am two and a half years past my husband's disclosure that he wants to be a woman. I stupidly stayed.  I stupidly played along.  How I regret reneging on my initial declaration that I wanted a divorce.  Now, two and a half years past his revelation, at 64 years old, I am finally making moves to end my 35 year marriage.
  These men in the grip of this can think only of themselves.  My husband said, early on, "To the extent you can enjoy me as a woman we have a future together" and I have come to see that he meant that: to him the most important thing in his life is his desiring to act the woman.  I come second.  Our marriage comes second.  Our child comes second.
  That they think we will stay with them is the most obvious sign of how unable they are to think of us--and our children.  
  He has taken your life from you...and you must take yourself and your child away and make a new life.  He is not interested in the life you lived together, only in the life he wants for himself.  But he is selfish enough to want you to remake yourself for him.  

August 26, 2017 6:43 am  #4

Katie,
   I don't know if you've told anyone in your day to day life but I urge you to tell someone who will be in your corner and can not only give you moral support but can help you.  I hope you will tell your parents or another relative (I was afraid to do this, but when I did, those I told were all in my corner and offered whatever help i needed).  Will your parents give you shelter?  Can they help you financially with setting up a separate account for yourself?  Do you have friends who can recommend lawyers? You are going to need a good family lawyer to help you craft a custody agreement that will protect your daughter.  Do you have access to a therapist through your insurance?  Can you tell your doctor (mine put me in touch with a therapist, covered by my insurance).  
   If your husband has gone from saying no "bottom surgery" to now wanting it, his actions are accelerating, which is a huge red flag.  I can say from experience and from reading the stories of other women on this site that the more entrenched he becomes in his new reality, the less he will think about you and the more accommodation he will expect from you.  This fixation works like an addiction: the more of it they indulge or have, the more they want, and the more it takes to satisfy them.  They are enveloped in the high of their pink fog, and they find their happiness and fulfillment in fulfilling themselves, and they feel entitled to do so, and lash out at anyone or anything that they believe stands in their way.  
  For your own protection and that of your daughter, act now to protect your finances.  Find out what's been spent, and on what.  Make sure that you separate your credit, so when he runs up huge expenses buying women's clothing, prostheses (fake breasts, fake vulva), hormones, and, ultimately, surgery, that you are not on the hook for the cost. Every dollar he spends on dress up is a dollar you don't have to care for your child, and every dollar he puts you in debt is another shovelful on the mountain of cash that "transition" will require.
   And listen to your gut.  That creeped-out feeling you get when you hear your husband's affected voice?  It's not going to go away; it's only going to get worse as he gets more deeply into this.  He has changed the terms of your marriage: you married a man, now he wants to be a woman. You are heterosexual, now he wants you to be a lesbian. The contract is null and void, and he's the one who cashed it out.  You should feel no pressure to "save your marriage"; it's already over, except for the legalities.
  I'm so sorry you find yourself in this awful, wrenching, painful reality.  

August 26, 2017 8:38 am  #5

Rob and OHC
Thank you for your words mean so much to me. You both deserve a thought out reply because they really touched me. However... Saturday morning waits for no mom breakdown.

So today I walk forward with my family day. And later I will give myself the time to process. There is love in this house. And it's hard to think of leaving it when there's still so much LOVE. but that reaction to his fem voice is telling...

Thank you for bearing me.

August 26, 2017 11:24 am  #6

Katie,
  Yes, there's still love.  I still love my husband, even though I am making plans to end the marriage.  What I've come to see, though, is that my love for him had become self-destructive, and I can't cling to a love that lets me in for continual pain.
  But yes, it hurts, and processing the pain and the hurt and the grief will take the time it takes.  What I am hoping is that the processing of that pain and hurt and grief that I've done over the last two and a half years since his disclosure will help me going forward.  I know I'm in for more, but I'm counting on the work I've done grieving my marriage while still legally and formally in it helping me through the next step of separating and divorcing.

Board footera