OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 21, 2017 12:36 pm  #1

It's OK to not be OK!

My friends, I hope you find peace and happiness soon.  In the meantime, please know that it is ok to not be ok. 

It's OK to cry when you are alone

It's OK to ask for help

It's OK to feel crushed and devastated

It's OK to cry with your friends or family

It's OK to see a Dr. and get drugs for sleep and anxiety

It's OK to be afraid

It's OK to cry in your car

It's OK to see a therapist or councillor

It's OK to feel stressed and overwhelmed

It's OK to cry in front of your kids

It's OK to ask for help from friends, family, neighbors or even strangers

It's OK to be depressed

It's OK to cry in front of your spouse

It's OK to take time off of work, stay in bed, or skip that event

It's OK to not be OK

Somehow our society has convinced us that sorrow is a sign of weakness and is frowned upon.  Our society praises those who go it alone and never need help from others.  Our society says that we should keep our emotions to ourselves and that only mentally ill people suffer from depression or fear. 

I want to encourage all of you to be honest with yourself.  Are you harming yourself by trying to put on a brave face for others?  Are you depriving yourself of help because you are too proud to ask?  Are you bottling up your emotions and delaying your healing because you don't want to feel weak?   Are you keeping your situation a secret because you think your gay spouse will get angry or because you think people will judge you?  
Stop!    It's OK to not be OK.   You will get through this.  You will get help if you ask for it.  You will heal more quickly and live a better life when you can admit that you are not OK. 

Please read this article:
https://thoughtcatalog.com/emma-stuart/2017/03/its-ok-to-not-be-ok/

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

August 21, 2017 12:44 pm  #2

Re: It's OK to not be OK!

Men.. I'm talking to you especially.   The stereotypes of a "Real Man" held in our society are very harsh.  We are not supposed to cry or be weak or be afraid because that's not manly.  We avoid going to the Dr.  We don't share our emotions.  We don't ask for help.  

It's all crap..  You can be 6'5", 300lbs of solid muscle and work as a lumberjack with a flannel shirt and full beard and you are allowed to cry.  You are allowed to be afraid, depressed or anxious.  You can talk to a Dr or therapist.  You can get medicine to help.  You can ask your friends and neighbors for help.  You can show your lesbian wife that you are hurting.  You are allowed to not be OK.   You will heal and you will be happy again and then you can get back to tossing cabers and wrestling bears. 

A Real Man has the courage to ask for help and the strength to know when he needs it. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

August 21, 2017 3:35 pm  #3

This is SO TRUE Phoenix!  Great post.

August 21, 2017 3:57 pm  #4

Yes,, crying is OK... we love ..we feel.  we are authentic and genuine.   

Yeah I used to cry every where when going through this.     The most memorable was when I was opening my own checking account  after decades of a shared account.      The tears gave it drama but as I look back at it now it was just one necessary baby step that I had to do ...rest assured my GX had already opened her own account and was funneling money into it.    I told the bank lady my tears conveyed the sadness of what I had to do....it was necessary and moral... it was pomp and circumstance..it was not my choice.
Nowadays I take my therapist's advice and I set a time limit on the crying.. I will cry...I will feel   but only for 10 -15 minutes..  Then I will get up and do something.    I honor the past...I have no shame for the fierce love I gave.. I want to feel it..  but then I want to move on also.  

Last edited by Rob (August 21, 2017 4:04 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 21, 2017 10:52 pm  #5

This is helpful for me since I am in the middle of it right now.  I think all that Phoenix listed is true, but as a person who doesn't like to show her emotions and hates to be pitied by others I need to probably read that every day.  I don't like to cry in front of other AT ALL....This is probably partly because I have lived with an unempathetic husband for so long.... Although I'm pretty good at the first one - crying when alone....I just need to realize it's ok to cry in front of others be that a friend, a family member, my therapist or whoever, I rarely cry in front of another person....Thanks for posting that Phoenix.  You are very right!

Board footera