OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 11, 2017 3:51 pm  #51

Re: Really Starting to Wonder.....

Deleted

Last edited by Duped (November 11, 2019 3:22 pm)

August 12, 2017 7:35 am  #52

Duped, 
   So true--we need someone in our camp, wholly, and if we're lucky we have parents (or one of them) who will have our backs.  I've seen a number of people write in to say their in-laws abandon them even when they know the truth about the spouse--whether gay, lying, cheating--yet we straight spouses are often too embarrassed or ashamed or worried we'll be judged to tell our own parents/siblings.  
   Thanks for your congrats, too.  You're pretty awesome, too--you got out so much sooner than I've been capable of.

August 12, 2017 7:41 am  #53

OOHC, Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers as you take the next steps on your journey to your new life. So glad you have your mom walking with you.
Hugs.

August 12, 2017 7:12 pm  #54

OOHC - good for you.  so glad your mum is there for you.  wishing you all the best.  xox

August 13, 2017 11:40 am  #55

OMG Kel I loved your story! It gave me hope! You are a great writer..and could sell your story someday.

Life is like phases of the moon.... We really only see it when it's beautiful, full and in our face. 

August 13, 2017 4:04 pm  #56

OOHC good for you being able to make your decision on your future, wishing you the best going forward

Sometimes we are just the collateral damage in someone else's war against themselves

August 16, 2017 10:57 pm  #57

I haven't been on here for over a week.  I wasn't getting email notifications so I didn't even know all this was posted.  Thank you to all who posted here to help me.  So.....this has been an awful week.  Last week at therapy I brought up the question of my husband's sexuality.  I had told our therapist that I wanted to do this.  When I asked if he was gay he denied it.  I told him I thought him being gay was "the secret" that he has.  He said "the secret" is the opposite of that.  You should have seen the therapists face!  After therapy, standing in the parking lot my husband said yes, there is a secret, but I can't tell you.  I left in tears.  That night he acted as if nothing happened.  The next night we had an in depth discussion about everything going on in our lives.  No sex.  My worries about a "secret".  He made it sound like there was something he was hiding.  At one point as I was talking in a totally normal voice in our home he gritted his teeth and leaned into  me and said "God Dammit, keep your voice down".  He was back to thinking our house was bugged or something.  The next day he told me sorry, and still said there was something he couldn't tell me.  By Sunday he had changed his story and none of it was true.  He said issue was he is "a fraud" and that was the secret.  I went to my therapist Tuesday and she said this not an emotionally stable situation and that I needed to take action.  I decided to say to him that he is either very mentally ill or there is an actual secret and I couldn't be in this house with him anymore and feel safe.  That I needed him to leave.  I had this conversation with him and he finally admitted that he is gay.  So I guess I'm not "still wondering".  Funny thing is I have heard so many lies and untruths that I wondered if the admission to being gay was a cover for something worse.  I am that paranoid now.  I trust him that little.  In that conversation I broke down and bawled.  I said "you married me".  How could you do that.  He kind of took it back and said he's "confused", he's not sure if he's gay.....I am, however, done.  I've really been done for awhile.  I knew this was it.  I can't believe he's lied about it.  Today he said he thinks he is gay, but is still unsure.  I think he wants me to hang on to some hope, but I am done.  I don't want to stay with someone who has admitted this.  I think him saying he is confused is a way to keep me hanging on.  I think we are going to talk to our girls Friday night.  They start school tomorrow so I wanted to wait.  We are not going to say he is gay.  Just that he is moving out.  The hardest part is he wants me to keep quiet right now.  I can't talk to anyone and I so want to.  My girls had orientation at school today and I'm in a daze thinking - this is happening to me and I can't talk to anyone about it.  Crazy thing is our couples therapist called me yesterday and said that based on what we talked about last week (which was mainly that he said the secret is the opposite of what you said -gay) she wants to see him by himself this week.  He is supposed to go, but keeps saying he may cancel.  If he cancels I will go.  I don't even know what to do at this point.  I am upset and mad (my whole life seems like a lie), but I also have some empathy for him because I know it was hard to admit.  I am also a little bit grateful he had the courage to admit it (even though it hurts like hell).  It's weird that I kind of wanted this admission so I could stop questioning, but now that it is here, it hurts like hell.  He's even acting like somehow we can work this out, but I am done.  I don't want to be married to someone to be his cover/beard.  I need strength to tell him I'm done.  This was a deal breaker.

August 16, 2017 11:17 pm  #58

Hugs Josie. Virtual *wrap my arms around you* hugs  

I wish I had someone to confide in/rant to.....cry with xx

KIA KAHA                       

August 16, 2017 11:53 pm  #59

Josie,

So sorry...but I think your gut told you this was it.  I will say my gay exs behavior was erratic also.. quick to anger. Paranoid. .so TGT can make them behave quite irrationally.

If I could add perspective...he is gay. ..a straight guy does not say that as an excuse to anything..so now you know.  And you can see there are no take backs..there is nothing he can say to make it untrue now. 

Please consider if the therapy with him is helping or hurting you...you need to take care of you and the kids..you don't need therapy with him to give you stress and more grief..you have enough of that.   Definitely go to therapy alone for yourself. 

A warm authentic hug (no secrets)..just sincere comfort and well wishes.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 19, 2017 9:11 pm  #60

Ok, I'm sure others have had this happen so I want to tell you guys what he is doing now.  Tuesday night he says he's gay.  Thursday he goes to our couples therapist and tells her he thinks he might be gay.  Friday he goes to his therapist and says he's not sure.  He's confused.  Now he's telling me that he just said that to me because that is what I wanted to hear.  He said I needed an answer to why he's never been sexual and that he kept saying he didn't know why and that saying he was gay was just finally giving me a reason, but he doesn't think that is it.  Has anyone had the experience of them coming out with it and then taking it back?  I keep telling him that I think he needs to be honest with himself and me and we will all be better off, etc, etc...but now he is sticking to the story that he isn't.  This is all very confusing.  I still think he is, and this is part of the denial and now he wish he hadn't said it/ he's afraid it will get out or whatever.  I just wondered if this was a common thing when people come out to take it back and maybe how to coax them to come to terms with it.

Board footera