OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2016 5:27 pm  #1

Question for those who have children

I don't have children of my own, as I've stated before on these forums, but I student taught during college, and was a substitute teacher for 7th-9th grade for a few years. Obviously that's different from parenting but it's a perspective that let me observe kids at the early-adolescent stage, and I would see them 'en masse,' which let me wonder why some kids were developing one way and others were lagging or developing differently, or seeming not to be developing much at all. I don't mean physically, but in their ability to learn and absorb new ideas, as well as their social interactions. Twice I took it upon myself to notify Children's Protective Services, once for child endangerment and another for sexual abuse; how the regular teacher failed to see it or chose to ignore what was obvious, or didn't want to get involved, is something I will never understand. But my point is that not having kids sometimes puts you in a position to see what parents or teachers or other adults don't see, or don't want to see.

But this is my question - and it might be theoretical, or maybe someone here has experienced this - having been through what you've been through in your marriage, how would you react if one of your children did the same thing your spouse did to you? I mean, if you saw your own child, who you had inklings might be gay or lesbian, getting married to a straight person, knowing what you know now? What would you do?  How would you handle that? I'm curious, because I am not sure what I would do myself; how involved or not I would get; I know the concept that blood is thicker than water, but I also think people need to make their own decisions and make their own mistakes, but yet this is one that I know is likely to cause damage, so I think I would force the coming-out issue and try to stop him/her from marrying. Would I talk to the bride- or groom-to-be?  I honestly don't know how I would respond, so for me this is hypothetical. Just wondering if others have faced this or what your thoughts are about that.

"I have given you my soul, leave me my name!"  - John Proctor, The Crucible
"Question everything you've been told; hold fast to what is true and good." - I Thessalonians 5:21

July 24, 2016 7:21 pm  #2

Re: Question for those who have children

Hi, Byron,

I'm so glad you cared enough to intervene with the kids you suspected were in trouble.

I have three children. In general, I think you stay the hell out of their relationships. But if I thought one of them was gay and about to marry straight, you bet your ass I'd sit them down for a long, long talk. 

And honestly, having suffered through the destruction of our family, and having an openly gay parent and a non-homophobic straight parent, I think my kids would have no issues with being themselves. This is my hope for the next generation ... that we see the number of straight spouses reduced because we've evolved into a society in which it's okay to be who you're born to be.

Best,
Sue

"You want a man who messes up your lipstick, not your mascara."

August 3, 2016 12:47 am  #3

Thank you both for your answers. I think having been through it, most of us would have a "come to Jesus" meeting with our kids. I was trying to imagine how that conversation would go and how far I would push it, since they would both presumably be of legal age to do whatever they want. I think I might actually speak to the bride or groom, as the case might be, if I weren't getting through to my kid, and I'd take the risk of blowing up the relationship with my child, but I don't know. I seem to be getting feistier and feister the more distance I have from my ex, and a lot less willing to tolerate BS, especially the kind of BS that comes from being fearful of the truth. "The truth is the truth, stop being so afraid of it, you're only making it worse for yourself..."  I remember my parents saying plenty of times when we were kids, "just tell the truth and we'll deal with it, but if you lie to us, it's going to be so much worse for you..."

"I have given you my soul, leave me my name!"  - John Proctor, The Crucible
"Question everything you've been told; hold fast to what is true and good." - I Thessalonians 5:21

August 3, 2016 6:08 pm  #4

Hi,
if one of my kids is gay - I hope I wouldn't treat them any differently. Now, if I knew they were lying and cheating then l suspect I would call them on it.  That said, my experience is that there is a lot  u don't know as a parent.  Which is why it's good that others are willing to intervene in situations such as you describe.

Board footera