OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 8, 2017 3:01 pm  #1

New to the forum - life shattered but least I understand

We have been married for 20 years and have two children, 17 and 10. First few years of married life were fantastic. Then is started to go wrong. He said try harder so I did, went to therapy (he wont come), then I took a look at him and saw he wasn't really trying with the full on family thing. Just how he is I thought. So the unhappy years roll by and then by accident I discover he is gay. He says we don't need to separate, can he stay in the same bed. He tells our eldest son that he is gay always has been. Wont tell the youngest - scared she will reject him? Such mixed feelings as devastated for the lost, scared for the future, yet relief to know, make sense and have a chance at a new life. He was never going to tell me - I could have been 70 and found out or never, still trying to make it work. I have said we are divorcing, he doesn't want to. I'm now dragging my feet not because I don't want to but just numbed by the revelation. His mental health seems in decline, lots of angry outbursts and wont accept the marriage has fallen apart because he is gay. He is setting about to prove to the children how unreasonable I am at every turn. Luckily we don't live together but still have so much to resolve. I believe now he has a full on narcissistic personality. He had a long game, working on my key family friends and family to adore fun personality and get them on his side. I have been his shield and now I'm taking that away he is crumbling. He says he has never acted on his urges and doesn't want to be gay. He is a compulsive liar to meet his own means so whilst I listen I don't believe it any more. He is like a ticking bomb, I need to get him out of my life - toxic. Can I do that and still maintain some contact for the children who both adore him? Any experience with divorcing narcissistic gay men out there?

August 8, 2017 3:53 pm  #2

Re: New to the forum - life shattered but least I understand

Welcome to the family Loubee. 

I'm so sorry you've gone through this terrible experience.  As you said, better that you know now and not when you are 70.  That doesn't really make it easier to endure though.   So we are here for you.. happy to help in any way we can.   

You asked if any of us have experience with narcissistic gay men?  I would bet that most of the ladies in this group would raise their hands.  So you will definitely get some help here from people who know what it's like. 

You asked if you can get him out of your life and still maintain contact for the children.  Yes you can!  i think you should.  If you haven't consulted an attorney yet, I recommend you do so right away.  You should start to learn the laws for divorce in your state.  Sounds like you are already separated, so the hardest part is already done.  In the process of divorce you will establish custody rights for the kids and decide how much time they can spend with him.  While they are still children you will have to figure out how to co-parent with him.  That means you will need to stay in some form of contact with him to keep the logistics straight for the kids benefit.   But that is the only contact you need to have, so you are free to find your own new life.  

I wish you the best!  Keep posting and sharing..  it's great therapy to share your feeling with people who understand. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

August 8, 2017 9:57 pm  #3

Loubee,

Yeah the narcissism will paralyze you as you try process their behavior..It just the gay but them twisting reality to make you the bad person in the marriage. Like you did something wrong.  They will lie and hurt...without remorse. 

Its not you.  You did nothing wrong .  Just because they say something or scream something in rage does not make it true.

But you seem to be onto the narcissism.. that we can see very clearly in your description of him.  To divorce them you need to get a lawyer and have your lawyer deal with his lawyer.  There is no talking to them or reasoning with them...they operate with a different morality and logic than we do..one that is centered on them being right...ie. I'm gay but you at fault for wanting to divorce.  Its a different reality..

Its sad but with them all you can do is get away so they don't hurt you anymore. 

PS..mine would not go to therapy and when I went and came home she asked if I learned what I did wrong. Crazy.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 9, 2017 4:43 am  #4

Hi Loubee, so sorry you find yourself in this situation but as you say better to know now than never or as my ex said he thought of telling me on his deathbed! I'm almost a month from divorcing my narcissistic gay husband. Our children are all in their 20s so no co parenting issues for me. Financially he's been very fair, I was a SAHM and then only worked while the children were at school so my earning potential was never going to equal his. I can't say I had the best of lawyers so was thankful he was honourable financially. I'd say make sure you know everything about your finances, find out all you can, make copies of anything you can. 

On the narcissistic side, brace yourself, be prepared to be blamed for everything, I mean EVERYTHING! Everything is going to be your fault. How my ex has acted towards me since he was outed is actually the hardest part of all this for me. He's emotionally blackmailed the kids into not challenging him on what he's done to me, telling them if he looks at what he did to me he'd be floating in the river.

He's never taken ownership of anything, projecting his faults onto me to deflect from himself, blaming me for everything and what a horrible person I was, I thought I was perfect, I'm judgemental, I'm critical. He's the victim in this. Two of my children have little or nothing to do with him at present and it's I've poisoned them against him. He's accused me of bad mouthing him, whereas anything I've talked about is the truth, and not going into detail. He was actively gay for 24 of our 28 year marriage. I feel if I'd been shown some respect by him or his family members things may have panned out differently.

I'd definitely say expect him to go through the teenage years as they're referred to, don't expect you to be considered in anything. From what you've written it sounds like he's projecting onto you, deflecting from himself, seeing himself as the victim. Don't be surprised if you learn he has been active throughout the marriage, what you're told is only the tip of the iceberg, more may come out in the wash!

And brace yourself, it's not easy, it still has a hold on my thoughts, about 21 months post disclosure. What I find more thought consuming now is his behaviour, the narcissism and how he can't be civil to me. You'd actually think it was I wronged him the way he behaves towards me....his behaviour says more about him than you, so hard to rise above it and be the bigger person, NOT EASY!!! I'd say try and have as little to do with him as possible but when your children are still at the age requiring parenting I know that's difficult.

Keep coming back here and posting, it will help to know there are others out here going through what you are.

Sometimes we are just the collateral damage in someone else's war against themselves

August 11, 2017 2:48 pm  #5

Hi Loubee,

I'm so sorry you're going through this.  To some extent, we all seem to have married gay in denial narcissists.  Being gay does not make someone a narcissist.  But marrying someone when you know deep down that you're gay but not wanting that to be true takes a special kind of selfishness.  There are plenty of individuals out there that didn't want to admit they were gay, but didn't MARRY someone of the opposite sex to hide it.  Or to take the advantages of being married to a wonderful person when they knew they couldn't be the kind of spouse that the other person deserved.  I have literally had straight men tell me (when I was out on in the dating world) that I seem like a nice woman, and they didn't want to take advantage of me.  Now,... break that down.  That means...... I INTEND to do things that the typical person would see as taking advantage of you.  But I for some reason respect you too much to do that to you.  I at the VERY least want to warn you that my intentions aren't honorable - I'm not wanting a real relationship and I won't be giving you any of the things that would make it seem that way.  So,... perfect STRANGERS could tell me that, but my HUSBAND couldn't do that much for me?  Those men didn't even love me and they were better to me (in a way) than my husband was to me.  At least they gave me the truth.  My husband didn't, because it didn't benefit HIM to do so.  It WOULD have benefited ME, but he was afraid if I knew the truth, I'd walk.  So he kept me in the dark so that he could get what HE wanted - not matter if it was unfair or hurtful to me.  THEN he brought children into that scenario.  If that isn't narcissism, what the hell would be, ya know?

My sister is currently divorcing someone who is quite possible the single biggest narcissist I have EVER known.  While we (her extended family) had no real clue how bad things had gotten for my sister, (and even my sister didn't learn the extent of her husband's double life until after she started divorcing him), we did feel that something was horribly off.  For years.  This was someone who used social media and in-person communication to become one of (if not the single most) gregarious and charming people I've ever known.  I can remember people finding out he was my brother-in-law, and acting like "YOU are X's sister-in-law?!?!  OMG - he is SO awesome!"  I remember thinking that he's absent from a ton of our family gatherings, but strangers think he's the best.  He would go online and the #blessed thing constantly.  He'd rarely spend time with his children unless he was out doing something with them - he wasn't home feeding them or putting them down for a nap or helping with homework.  He was taking them overnight to a grand city hotel, and posting pics of how awesome their daddy-daughter time in the pool was.  #My biggest blessing.  #Being a daddy rocks.  #My girls, my joy.  Etc.  All he wanted was for people to see him for who he WANTED to be.  And that was not a hard-working, authentic guy.  It was someone that everyone else wished they could be.  He completed this picture by being a bodybuilder, and going to contests for it.  He was always #training.  #Bulking up, or #Slimming down.  If people finally started to tell him ENOUGH with pics of himself in bikini swimsuits, he'd tell them about how his health is important, and if they can't support that, they can unfriend him.  Because being healthy #for his girls" was the single most important things in his life.  Eventually, everyone saw through it.  They may have said nothing.  But we knew.  We were still shocked when we learned about the depth and breadth of his lies and double life.  But we weren't surprised that HE would do something like that.  Of course he would - he needed to be a good guy to his church friends, and he needed to be a good Italian to the mob members.  He was everyone except for who he was SUPPOSED to be.  And he got his validation from everyone but who should have mattered.  In the end, he fooled no one but himself, and whatever new people are too naive to see the truth yet.

They all play head games.  They twist your words to make it look like you're horrible, and then you feel like proving to them that you're not be giving in to what they want.  You accept blame and work hard toward fixing what was never really broken in the first place.  It's like a political game where they have you looking in a different direction so they can screw up in the corner, where no one's attention is at the moment.  It's allll smoke and mirrors.  And all you can do is try to see clearly - see that their word should be taken with a grain of salt.  See that an unfeasible explanation is likely exactly that.  See that everything they do is to manage their image - which includes managing yours, too.

There is no such thing as a happy spouse of a narcissist - gay or straight.  They will take until you bleed, and then move on to greener pastures.  They will leave their kids in the dust if there's no one to impress by being with them.  They paint themselves as the victim - because it serves their purposes.  It's ALL about them.  Run fast and far.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (August 11, 2017 2:52 pm)

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

August 12, 2017 8:58 am  #6

Hi Loubee,
Lots of us here are dealing with narcissistic spouses.  And divorcing them is hard, but necessary. I am going through the process of divorce now, after 18 years of marriage. I found out he was gay and had been seeing someone.  Yet, dealing with him being gay pales in comparison to him being a narcissist. 
My advice would be:  
1.  Gather your own support system.  Friends, family, place of faith, whatever YOU need for the times to come, good and bad.
2.  Protect your children.  This is going to come in different forms - treat them individually.  What's best for your older child may not be what's best for the youngest. 
3. Get legal help.  If you can afford a lawyer, it's going to be a lot easier for you. 
4.  Set boundaries.  Now.  If you want his stuff gone, give him a deadline and if he doesn't meet it, get rid of it.  Boundaries with his behavior toward the kids.  Boundaries with communication. 
5.  When you need to make decisions regarding divorce, make them swiftly and firmly.  (That's where the legal help come in.)
6.  You may feel just wrung out and in shock.  For a long time.  That's ok.  It will pass, and it will come back.  The shock will come back weaker as you get stronger.  Use those moments of strength to act when you can.  Then rest.

You can do this!!!  We are here to help. 
Tamiam

Board footera