OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 10, 2017 3:31 pm  #1

Support Groups

Are there support groups really out there? Do they help? Just sitting here, reading all of these sad stories of heart break and misery, it's overwhelming. If the meetings are just people talking about  how awful things are, I am not sure I can attend that type of meeting. Yes, I do see some of the positive comments folks put out there but by time I finish reading someone's stories, I just want to curl up into a ball and cry. 
I was given an email of someone close to me and they haven't responded back, they could be on vacation I guess.  My story is just as sad and scary and demoralizing as any of the others, I have not had the courage to write it up yet.  Just still feeling lost.  UGH.

July 10, 2017 6:12 pm  #2

Re: Support Groups

Hi K2. 

I've heard mixed results on support groups.  It is naturally a place where we all share a similar background of pain and suffering, so these are the things that tend to come out in conversation.   So, some people say it's depressing.  Other people say it's a life-saver to be able to talk about their pain with other people who understand it. 

I guess it depends on what you are looking for

I sent you a private message as well. . but if you want help trying to get in touch with a local support group, let me know and I'll try to help. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

July 10, 2017 6:52 pm  #3

Re: Support Groups

A lot of it depends on the person who facilitates it. I was fortunate to have one where the main facilitator is a practicing therapist and a straight spouse. Even if you don't have this sort of luck it can be very therapeutic to sit down with others who have been there (or still are) and totally get what this journey means. Just like here, some people are further along and that is good to hear. It gives hope. I think it can be a valuable perspective to have no matter if you go only once or regularly.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

Board footera