OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 2, 2017 2:01 am  #1

Boundaries with my transgender husband

Hello all
As I told on another thread my husband of 13 years came out as transgender to me about three weeks ago. We have two daughters who are 8 and 12, who are really close to their dad.
This last week has been incredibly hard as he has been so preoccupied with exploring new exciting things, that I feel our partnership is suffering. So on top of finding out where I stand in all of this and decide about the future I feel i have already lost my partner in life. The first few weeks he was very supportive of me as well, but ecerything seems to have eccalatered this week and I can't keep up with the changes and I can't cope with the lack of partnership, and I can feel that my oldest daughter is concerned about what is going to happen. I have found it hard to find out what I need, partly because all of the articles I read about transgender people coming out, focus on how important it is to support them all the way, but based on responses from outofhiscloset and Kel I have realised that I can't and will not live with this intensity. So I just communicated that to my husband and that felt good. He's away the next three days, so we'll have a chat on Monday, and we'll take it from there. He can see it from my perspective, but I'm not sure if he will be able to control his urge to explore all the new options all the time. I need to assign certain times for him to explore, so the girls and I know what to expect. Is this an unreasonable demand? It's hard to be op against the "I feel depressed when I don't dress as a woman". Surely it must be ok for everyone around the transperson to get space and time to adjust?

"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans...."

June 2, 2017 6:38 am  #2

Re: Boundaries with my transgender husband

Trunte,
    It is more than ok for those "around the transperson to get time and space."  It's absolutely necessary.  That you feel you have to pose that as a question reveals that you think wanting that for yourself is somehow selfish and unsupportive, and that's a result of reading articles that tell you that your role as wife or relative is to support the person unquestioningly.  
    Such "advice" is really an ultimatum and rests on this formulation: You MUST support the trans person because the trans person's struggle is greater than yours; the trans person's needs are therefore more important that any need you might have because we live in such a transphobic society, so whatever the trans person needs or does should be accommodated!  Further, this advice rests on the following beliefs: it's possible to change sex (MtF) and "woman" is nothing more than a felt identity.  
   At a time when your husband is violating your boundaries in very personal ways you don't need to be reading advice that tells you to set aside your discomfort and teaches you to devalue yourself, your girls, and your own needs and your daughters' needs.  I'd like to ask you to think about this: Do you think your biologically male husband, with XY chromosomes, and years of socialization and life as a male person, can actually turn himself into a woman? Do you think being a woman (or man, for that matter) is merely a matter of "feeling you are one"? Do you think dressing in women's clothes and wearing makeup is what makes a woman? Do you think taking hormones and having surgery that produces a semblance of a female body--but with none of a female body's functions--will make your husband female?  
   The fact is, most of us, before this happens to us, are ethical, fair-minded people, wanting to validate the rights of others, so our feeling about trans people is "sure, whatever, I think all people should be able to be who they are and not be discriminated against for it."  It's only when we are confronted by the mind-boggling craziness of our husbands' behavior that we look more closely and examine the beliefs and assumptions behind the behavior.  It's only then we start to ask the hard questions about who they are and what they can actually become.  
  If you've read others of my posts you know I recommend reading J. Michael Bailey's "The Man Who Would be Queen" and the work of the Anne Lawrence (a transperson), both of them psychologists who have studied men like your husband and mine, autogynephiles who after an unproblematic life as men suddenly declare they are or want to become women.  
  Your husband says he feels depressed when he doesn't get to dress as a woman?  Well, the response to that is, "I feel depressed when you do dress as a woman so we'll have to find a compromise that gives us both what we want while also accommodating the needs of the other person."  That your husband isn't willing or able to see that is a measure of how thoroughly self-involved he is right now.  When the clothes he wears are more important to him than the wellbeing of his wife, daughters and marriage, you are no longer in the land of rationality. If you don't stand up for yourself, he's going to walk all over you. I know it's hard to believe, and hard to take in, and devastating to your sense of yourself; you're asking yourself, "What's happened to my husband? What's happened to my marriage?"  I know because I've been through it myself.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (June 2, 2017 6:49 am)

June 2, 2017 7:07 am  #3

Deleted

Last edited by Duped (November 11, 2019 3:12 pm)

June 2, 2017 9:32 am  #4

Thank you both.
I don't know if he does have other activities going on. I don't really feel that I have reason to suspect these things, but off course I might be naive...
Outofhiscloset, can I just ask. Do you mean to say that the "no choice" in being transgender is rubbish? That it is indeed a choice? Because everywhere is described as a no choice, as a chromosome/hormone/? Thing?
I have told him that I'm not willing to live with the intensity of it, and that I too feel rubbish when I don't get space, so I'm more and more thinking that we might need to not be in the same house anymore.
I very much appreciate the support here, and am also a bit surprised about the obvious thinking that he will automatically try to trick me. Will have to reflect on that.
It is very good for me to be confirmed in my right to set boundaries, abs will reflect as well on my need to ask for permission for that. I guess it's all come out so sudden and very recently, so my head is spinning like mad. Less so today, I do know that I'm not willing to live in a household where the main focus is transrelated. I appreciate the space to discuss that here.

June 2, 2017 9:44 am  #5

Trunte,
   No credible scientific evidence exists to say that being transgender is chromosomal, hormonal or a "brain" thing.  Transgender activists say all these things, but they have no scientifically valid (ie, reproducible results, "blind" testing, etc) evidence for any of it.   Clearly, however, body dysmorphia/dysphoria is real.  The origins of it are not known.  It also seems clear that some people are more susceptible to this form of it--the "gender dyphoria" angle--than others, just as some people are more prone to anorexia.  The psychologists who study autogynephilia have nothing to say about its origins, but they have charted out its manifesting symptoms quite well, and propose that it is an "erotic targeting error."  Instead of loving actual women, the autogynephile focuses his sexual desire instead on a "woman within," the woman he desires to be.  Autogynephilia is classified, therefore, as a sexual paraphilia.  
   Here's the thing, though: whether what your husband is experiencing is "inborn" or "a choice," what difference does that make to whether you want to live as the wife to a transperson who considers himself in a lesbian marriage?  That is, it's not "what made him be this way" that's at issue; it's "do I want to live the life I'm being asked to live with a person who has changed the conditions of my marriage contract?"

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (June 2, 2017 9:45 am)

June 2, 2017 11:13 am  #6

Deleted

Last edited by Duped (November 11, 2019 3:00 pm)

June 2, 2017 11:56 am  #7

You wrote "I need to assign certain times for him to explore, so the girls and I know what to expect. Is this an unreasonable demand?"

If he is going to be dressing as a woman around your daughters I think they may need to receive professional counseling beforehand so they have can have their questions and concerns addressed. I don't know how far into puberty the older one is but she too is going to be adjusting to physical changes and figuring out how she fits in as a woman.

I have no background in psychology but I would think that having her father changing from a traditional masculine role at this time might be unsettling. Fathers have modeled masculine behavior for daughters and now as boys become more important in her life she is losing this.

A counselor who works with adolescent girls may be able to help your husband to understand your daughters' needs. The teen years are such a vulnerable time and when I was a teen MANY years ago I saw too many of my classmates entering into sexual relationships when a father was not in their lives.
Self-medicating with alcohol and other drugs also happened to numb emotional pain.

This is about so much more than a dress. 

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

June 2, 2017 12:59 pm  #8

I'm getting wiser all the time 😊. I don't know exactly what's in it for my husband. I guess time will tell. I don't think being against him in it will help, but I am aware that boundaries are necessary. He does not expect me to stay with him, we are having an ongoing conversation and I don't feel pressure from him about this. He knows that I'm most likely to leave the relationship and he is sad about this, but not giving me a hard time. The issue for me has been the limit setting of how fast he is going to change and to try to understand where he is at in it all. How come this sudden urge etc. I'm getting clearer about my boundaries every day.
Also, the involvement of the girls is a concern for me. I am looking for a counciler. It's not that easy to find one with knowledge about transgender issues, where we live....
I do love the questions I get here, really good to help me find clarity.
Thank you all 😊

June 2, 2017 2:40 pm  #9

Hi again, Trunte,

This post is making me think about mental illness.  We are getting better at identifying it, and learning what limitations a person has once they're identified as having one.  We are adjusting expectations and working on helping them figure out ways to successfully live in society.  But being a transvestite isn't considered a mental illness.  Having body dysmorphia is, but our society insists at the moment that we don't try to medicate or brainwash that away.  That instead, we let them embrace who they think they really are.  But.... if they thought they were Napoleon, they'd be crazy, right?  If they wanted to transform into a cat, they're whack-a-do.  But if a man wants to transform into a woman, that's completely reasonable?  Even if becoming a woman is based almost solely around stereotypical feminine identifyers?  How come they never transition to a woman who wears pants suits?  Lol.  How come they don't transform into a low-maintenance female who rarely does her makeup except on special occasions?  My point here is that just because they - and society - views being trans as something that needs to be embraced doesn't mean it should.  Society should let them transition.  And they should have the same rights as if they were born that sex.  Sure.  But it's not like it doesn't affect their relationships.  We need to stop acting like it's up to everyone around them to act like nothing happened.  WHY?

I find it quite amusing - frankly - how they seem to want us to accept them no matter what sex they are and how they look, but THEY don't accept themSELVES.  "You should love me whether I'm wearing stilettos or oxfords."  Fine - how about YOU love you in oxfords just as much in stilettos??  If it should mean nothing to US, then why does it mean so much to THEM?  They have no right to expect more out of us than they do of themselves.  If becoming a woman is the single most important thing in their world, then fine - have at it.  If you want something soooo badly that you're willing to lose everything for it, then.... okay.  But then stop acting like this change means nothing to anyone except themselves.  It's HUGE.  They've had YEARS (likely decades or even their whole life) to think about this and work out the outcomes.  But WE need to acclimate in 6 weeks?  Fuck that!  If they can't give you the time you need, then clearly they have decided that they are more important than you in this relationship, and their needs are more important than yours.  And there lies the crux of the problem.  We cannot be on their side when they have already decided they are firmly on their own side first.  Then it's what - both of us on their side and no one on ours?  No one to support us in this journey?  No one for us to cry to about losing the man we married?  No one to tell that we find the frills and lipstick repulsive?  I'm sorry, but that's bullshit.  If this is such a big deal to them, then they should understand it's a big deal to us, too.  If they can't or won't give us that consideration, then our marriage is irreparably flawed anyway - on a level we can't fix.

You stated that you were surprised that many of us here think that he's going to try to trick you.  We hear that a lot.  Only.... we have that opinion because of how many people here start posting and saying, "He told me X, but he's never done anything about it.", only to reveal later to us that they've found something. Or lots of somethings.  And that's because almost nothing gets to an extreme level without going through several lower levels first.  If you look at serial killers, they've often found a pattern to their past behavior.  They are sociopaths.  And sociopaths tend to have no empathy.  They often kill animals as children just to see what killing feels like.  Or to watch the look on their faces when they die.  They don't just start killing prostitutes one day.  They have worked their way up to it. Someone who steals a car has likely stolen plenty of smaller items first in order to crave a bigger hit.  Otherwise they'd fear that high level of risk.  But they've learned that they can get away with it, so they try for bigger and bigger.  It's a fatal flaw.  Being trans is no different.  You don't just tell your wife one day that you'd like to start dressing in women's clothing full time now.  You've already tried it plenty when no one's home.  Or maybe they've tried it in public by going to a motel with a duffel bag - entering as a man and exiting for the night as a female - before ever thinking that they love this enough to take it to the next level.  They know it's not accepted by society, so they have to normalize it first.  They talk to others about it - others who will accept it and spurn them on.  These are either other people who think like them, or others who find people who think like them enticing.  They have normalized their behavior by being in the company of others who find this action acceptable and enticing.  So yes, there is often a whole undercover world we know nothing about in order to get them to the point they are when we learn about them.  You may have no reason to suspect that.  But I'll bet if you went looking - just to prove yourself right - you'd find out otherwise.  It's not a definite thing, but it's pretty likely.  It's also likely he's covered his tracks well, which will make it hard to find the evidence.

We're here for you -

Kel

Last edited by Kel (June 3, 2017 1:22 pm)

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

June 2, 2017 3:13 pm  #10

Deleted

Last edited by Duped (November 11, 2019 2:59 pm)

Board footera