OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 17, 2017 8:46 am  #41

Re: New to this and having a hard time.

From what I see the lesbians pick the best men as husbands.
You are 100% correct on that lily.
Rob,Phoenix, myself. We were loving husband's who would bend over backwards for our wives and families. Speaking for myself it wasn't perfect I made mistakes but I have already done what lily suggested and looked back at everything and the excuses she gave me back then were empty lies that I believed as truth. I know it's painful. I still struggle with it everyday and I have constant contact with my wife. I know it doesn't seem it but you have it easier in that aspect. Wish I had something that could make it easier. But it is what it is, a mind fuck. It will take time to heal.

May 17, 2017 10:28 am  #42

The best husbands yeah... I was a darn good husband...I can see now how and why anything I did was never good enough.   It's a real mind f#%k that in her denial she came up with all kinds of ridiculous reasons why  I was a bad husband... ie.. you didnt take the trash out at 4am.  (no I took it out at 6am).

While its easy to think "why me, why did this happen to me..I thank God everyday for getting me away from my sick ex.    I can live out my days on this earth in authenticity and not abused.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

May 18, 2017 6:47 pm  #43

Lily, I'm sure you're right. She knew long before she told me. If she did cheat on me, I really don't want to know. As selfish as it may be I can't take any more blows to my ego. I just don't want to know.

My anger isn't really at myself. I'm angry at life. All of these things are out of my hands. I didn't do anything wrong, but everything still went wrong. I know life isn't fair. If it was we'd all be happy right now, in loving relationships. Sometimes it just feels so unfair I don't want to try anymore. That's hurting me. I tried so hard for so long and it yielded nothing. I worked so hard to do what a decent man should and I'm worse off in every aspect of my life than I was when I was 24. That's a hard pill to swallow.

Regarding the rejection, she's the only one to not reject me almost immediately. That's what makes this so hard to handle. I would love to have a future with the right person, but clearly I have no idea what that looks like and hoping for it now just makes me feel foolish. I'm absolutely terrified by the thought of being rejected again.

As far as being sweet talked, only one woman in my entire life ever talked to me that way. Don't anticipate that happening again. I see your point though. As lonely and desperate as I feel right now, I probably could fall into a bad relationship just to feel wanted. That's probably why I'm in this situation now. I was alone for so long and it felt so good to be wanted that I spent 7 years with the wrong person. Of course she never wanted me at all and the best feeling of my life was a lie. I just want to know what it feels like when it's real. That's the only thing I ever really wanted.

May 18, 2017 8:03 pm  #44

you and me both, Hiker, all I ever wanted too.  Except it was 37 years with the wrong person for me.

I was 19 when I met my ex.  What's odd looking back is that I felt like you do and didn't have any success in being asked out by the boys I was interested in and yet with hindsight and corroboration from others who knew me I was actually a stunner, all the boys wanted me but nobody was prepared to ask.

Okay, so was the best feeling of your life a lie - I say no.  That was your feeling, an intimation of what it can be like.  She is the one lying.  Not you.

Yes, it is a vulnerable position to be in - newly alone and there are plenty of people around who literally look for such opportunities and you can end up in all sorts of trouble before you know it.

I've accepted that my ex was and is a selfish jerk who never loved me back for one nanosecond and has left me with a visceral fear of rejection because he was gay and subterraneously communicated in feeling that he didn't want to have sex with me every bloody day of that life sentence I did.  Much better out than in.  Face it up, give it back.  If I have to entertain the possibility of having a loving relationship at my age, you sure do.  You can have a family Hiker, deep breaths now, take it easy, you will know you are on the way up when you make your first joke and it's funny.

May 18, 2017 8:31 pm  #45

Hiker
I feel the exact why you do. Every emotion. It sucks but I refuse to just give up. To let those feelings rule me. It's hard but I try everyday to take one more step. It has been a little easier these past couple weeks because I found someone to talk to. To confide in. Maybe give it a try.

May 18, 2017 8:56 pm  #46

Thanks Lily.

I'm afraid I'll be wary of women for a long time now. It's going to take so much time for me to open up to someone a woman with bad intentions probably won't put in the time.

I want to have hope for a good relationship in the future. I can be logical to a fault, and this is where it hurts me. Logic and experience are telling me to cut my losses and forget about it. It's a strange thing to try and think about dating someone new after 7 years. I can't imagine what's it's like after 37.  Sometimes I feel like jumping back into the dating pool would be the best thing, like it's time to start over, take the bull by the horns and hope for the best. That feeling is usually short lived and followed quickly by fear. I guess what's needed is bravery, which in my experience is just pretending you're not scared until you really aren't scared anymore.

Demons-halo, I'm not giving up. I refuse to. I've been through plenty, and tough times will come again. That's life. I'm usually pretty positive and self aware about what I need to do. What's different now is it's never been this hard or taken this long for me to get back up when I'm down. I've never had this many obstacles, or one this intense, to get through at once. What I don't have is that confidant. There are parts of this that I don't know how to talk about with anyone.

May 18, 2017 9:40 pm  #47

DH, Hiker,

We're alone...for now.  I worry about it also as I certainly have trust issues...but..

I'm ok alone right now...its just me.  Alone is safe.
I have not looked for any woman but I will say I've met a lot of kind people in my new life. I found this important. ..just talking to people. to know there are normal people out there. 
I'm lonely sometimes sure. ..but I'm not being screamed at and I'm not being cheated on..that is a huge positive than will always outweigh being alone.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera