OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 12, 2017 9:41 am  #11

Re: Anyone use humor to cope?

Also use humor - even if only silently, in your head.  What is life if not entertaining?

I still use the humor, although always sparingly with the kids.  It's been years now, and they are comfortable with the fact that their dad is gay.  The other day my 16 year-old said, "That's the gayest thing I've seen all day" about something.  I said, "Didn't you just come home from your dad's?"  He laughed, too.  His dad lives with his boyfriend as well as the boyfriend's gay roommate.  I have no idea how that works.  Just that after hanging out with 3 gay men all day, whatever my son was referring to as the "gayest thing he'd seen all day" couldn't POSSIBLY be the truth.  Ha ha.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (April 12, 2017 9:42 am)

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

April 12, 2017 10:26 am  #12

Kel!  That's hilarious!
The other night we took a walk and he was in front of me with the dog. I pictured him naked in a compromising position with another man and I felt so bad yet giggly at the same time. 
I never imagined that could make me laugh

April 12, 2017 11:23 am  #13

Foolme..  thats about as close to an admission as you can get.      Sadly I've had no humor in my journey away from TGT.. I've had lots of laughs with the kids though with the tension being removed from all our lives.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

April 12, 2017 2:51 pm  #14

Rob, I've had full disclosure since he was outed, so I don't need any more admission than that, in fact he's been very open about all his "doings" over the past 25 years!!! It's like he couldn't wait to tell me all he got up to!!

Sometimes we are just the collateral damage in someone else's war against themselves

April 12, 2017 9:23 pm  #15

Foolme,   so sorry.. Let us know how your journey away from TGT is going.    

Last edited by Rob (April 12, 2017 9:24 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

April 20, 2017 7:32 pm  #16

Another funny... I hate that it makes me giggle, but I do.
​He was drinking a milkshake and not paying attention to what I was saying... we had just heard that song from a long time ago "Milkshake" so I said "does your milkshake bring all the boys to the yard??"  OMG I couldn't believe I said it, but he just smiled and said "funny"  

I think he knows I know.

April 26, 2017 1:15 pm  #17

I was blessed with my youngest son. Ten tons of smart ass in a 8 year old body. Hard to keep a straight face around the kid. Don't know where he gets it from but so glad he has it.

May 5, 2017 1:51 pm  #18

Most likely a dead thread but seems the best place to put this thought I just had.
When exactly is the Straight Spouse Parade this year?

May 14, 2017 4:20 pm  #19

Humor to cope? Yep!  My SO came out to me as a CD, much to my "horror". So I watched a clip from the Rocky Horror Picture Show of Tim Curry singing "Sweet Transvestite". I can't help but laugh.

May 14, 2017 4:20 pm  #20

Humor to cope? Yep!  My SO came out to me as a CD, much to my "horror". So I watched a clip from the Rocky Horror Picture Show of Tim Curry singing "Sweet Transvestite". I can't help but laugh.

Board footera