OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 1, 2017 10:57 am  #11

Re: Letting go...

So I'm watching this video on this..

https://youtu.be/z8oDU3dy7Xg

It seem to explain what I'm feeling well...the shakes.  So my ex contacting me takes me out of my resilient zone..  it's a physical fight or flight response.
One thing I caught on is yes I'm less resilient or out of my zone more because of the trauma but also I don't have anyone ..I lost my best friend and person I trusted the most to help... so right there my resilient zone is less.  This is what perplexes me because I never used to get this feeling over normal stress.  But I seem to be damaged this way now..

At least I still have my soul.

Last edited by Rob (April 1, 2017 10:58 am)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

April 2, 2017 7:33 am  #12

Re: Letting go...

Rob, 
Only you can move through this in your own way and in your own time.  The EMDR they talk about on this video reprograms the response your body and mind has when traumatic triggers arise.  

Of course you are less resilient when dealing with the abuse of your ex.  It's natural when you've been through trauma.  So learning to redirect the natural panic and upset you feel when her name is mentioned, you must speak or interact with her, is the key.  

Normal stress is not this.  You know that.  And you're right, you do still have your soul.  It's strong and resilient. 

Keep posting.  Awareness of what is triggering you is part of the puzzle; coming up with ways to combat the emotions and the physical response you have is another piece.  

Hugs M

“Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely of places.”

Board footera