OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 27, 2017 8:07 am  #11

Re: Divorce Date: Not celebrating...more just a time to reflect

jkpeace wrote:

Guess what?  The divorce relief only lasted about 2 days.  My ex appears to be growing more and more unstable.  Now, I am worried about the safety of my children.   I am completely detached from my husband, but I have to deal with him and take care of the kids.  The older ones are not required to go with him, but my younger one is.  Now, I am having to deal with the legal and counseling ramifications of protecting children.  This craziness just never ends.  How on earth did I marry a man like this?

I agree with Foolme, the divorce is an adjustment for your former spouse as well. It's going to take time for all involved to deal with the changes. I'd just make sure your child who does have visitation has a cell phone in case he /she needs to call you. You can always pick up a cheap burner phone at Walmart for this type of use to give you peace of mind. 

Also, in some areas single mothers can get free cell phones, I forget the name of the program so do an internet search on this. I never knew until recently that these types of programs are out there. Not ever state has this but something to at least check into. 

Last edited by Emerald (March 27, 2017 8:15 am)

March 27, 2017 9:24 am  #12

Your local domestic violence prevention organization should have information about free phones and other resources and it is a number you should keep on your phone anyway given that he is unstable and you are concerned about your child's safety.

​Check with your attorney because maybe it is possible to have the order modified so that a specified reliable person must to be present when he has custody. Often that would be his mother although I don't know if that is a possibility in your situation. Avoid having the exchange at your home or his home. McDonald's is good because the presence of other people (and security cameras) may inhibit bad behavior and if there is any incident the police will be called and there will be witnesses. Also hungry people are worse-behaved so perhaps he'll eat while waiting.

​If you are worried about your children's safety trust your instincts. Document everything that raises alarms. Holidays can be triggers so for Easter perhaps try to take you and the children to somewhere he would not expect you to be.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

March 28, 2017 3:49 pm  #13

Your very welcome jkpeace. Hey, the goodread's challenge is also good for parents to encourage your kids to read. This might be something you can do as a family. 

Hikes in local parks are good too for a cheap way to spend the day with the kids. Pack a picnic and go for it. Always check your local news sites for listings on freebies such as concerts in the parks etc. Local festivals such as art festivals, local children's plays... this sort of thing. Often times, all you have to do is pay for parking and pack a lunch. Another thing is you and your kids could become volunteers in your area. This also helps build character and is good on their applications for college.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.  

Board footera