OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 25, 2017 5:00 am  #1

Update - moving ahead with life changes

I was first registered on here as sallyfindsout ( I used an email address that i was tracking my husband from - its all rather a blur and I dont have the access codes to that anymore so am back here as sallyfindsout2 ) 

I signed in here July/August 2016 - knowing my husband was gay, ticking off ALL the 'symptoms'  but with no concrete proof that could not be denied ( or wiggled out of - these people are very good at that) - I was sneaking around monitoring phone and browsing  history - it was horrible

I got irrefutable proof Aug 4 when I discovered a 3.5 voice message on my phone of my husband engaging with another man - telling him what he had done to him, what he would like to do with him and what he would do then and there - and denying he has a wife and kids .........I felt sick to my very stomach when I heard it , but it was what I needed to know

I left our home for a trip to family (I live abroad) and confronted him via email - he didn't deny it - how could he

I told him I want a divorce

I just kept repeating to myself the mantra Bonny  ( of spouse support website ) writes ' Life was never meant to be this complicated' ' This wasn't the way it was meant to be'  

When you have lived with fake realities for so long, you can doubt your own sanity and judgement at times- its all part of the manipulation/control process

He had gone from our family home by the time I returned

I  filed for divorce - he said he wants to stay together, that deep down inside he knows I want that too 

I did want that - I did want my marriage to work and to last - but i don't now - now I want this - I want to be free

The divorce should be final by the end of this month - it will be 8 months since the voice mail discovery

I am sad that my family is in this situation - sad it has all happened - sad that that what I thought was a solid and lasting marriage was in fact a front and a lie - but I am NOT sad that I am getting divorced - I feel free, liberated, for the first time in many years I feel I have a horizon and chance for positive change

I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be a divorced woman! 

So many things have come to light in other areas since that I realise what a double life he has been living and for how long, and in how many areas.....

Its not easy living with someone who is living in denial , sneaking around, compulsively lying ,drowning their own frustrations with addictions like alcohol, depressed, critical, inward looking, attention seeking ....

It is very hard 

In a marriage you take what comes, you try to be supportive when your partner is depressed , when they are in a negative vortex, you try to be patient, be forgiving, make it work .....for many years .....

But there is a limit - and when released from the manipulating control the feeling is very liberating 

So do I have times when I cry at night? - of course - there is grief over any loss - and grieving is process that takes time and that has to be worked through  - a 22 year marriage is bound to lead to a certain codependency and addiction - but it is getting easier, and those fleeting times when I miss him are getting fewer - what I miss is what I had at the very start of our marriage, not what it ended up being - it is the illusion of what I wanted it to be that I miss, not the reality of what it became and actually was

Do I regret ? - no - I have 2 beautiful children ( one 20 one 16 ) - I enjoyed many lovely experiences during my marriage, wonderful trips and vacations, international living -   I want to focus on those memories ( albeit tainted somewhat now I know where he would go off to when he went for 'walks' or' massages' or ' to clear his head - but nevertheless the personal enrichment I gained from them remains ) 

I feel some anger -  I am angry that he married in the first place really - it was unfair and cruel - I feel angry that he didn't tell me the real and whole truth some 8/9 years ago - but there again I was not in the right place to make it alone - I needed his emotional and financial support back then - I don't any more - I recognised the control factor and put myself in a position to be independent ( emotionally and financially ) - I created my own business and have financial independence - I distanced emotionally so his crisis no longer affect me as they did 

I saw him the other week after some 6 months - he came to the house to collect some of this things - I had removed them from my private area of our home and put them all in another room for him to look through - I was civil and we spoke amicably enough -  I felt  nothing - not pity , not sadness, not regrets ..... the next day he acted out as usual - it confirmed my decision to me , but it didn't screw me up emotionally like it would have done as I have cut the cords and broken the hold 

He will always be the father of my children - he will always be present in some way because of that connection  - i would like to think that in the future we can have a measure of friendship - because we were good friends ( he was my best friend for many years ) ... time will tell 

For now distance is good - and I feel free

Just wanted to share on here as I know many are also debating a change - sometimes hearing how others managed helps - change can be daunting but it can be liberating and a door leading to new beginnings and new horizons 

Last edited by sallyfindsout2 (March 25, 2017 5:04 am)

March 25, 2017 8:31 am  #2

Re: Update - moving ahead with life changes

Wow! You are stronger than I was!  I still struggle after being divorced over a year.  GIDH is now with another woman when he is GAY!  He is so in love and I feel sick.  I have gone no contact even with his family who I have known and loved for 30 years!  Very lonely; live in same neighborhood so I will see he and his new love on the lake together, living in the house we build together...on and on.  I now wish so much that it was a man he was with.  UGH> I am proud of you!

March 25, 2017 8:36 am  #3

lol!  It was a man first, now a woman.  I am however seeing myself getting stronger.  This will be a healing summer for me!  Blessings to you all!!

March 25, 2017 9:23 am  #4

Sallyfindsout,

First let me say thus is the most well written post I have read about our journey ...the saddness, hurt, strength all balanced..you sound stronger/better.

I want to give you a big hug..just to say..me too..I get it..went through the same.  Wish it was only 8 months for me.. it took 2 and half years from discovery to excise myself...but most if that was her learning how a divorce works.

One quote I picked out of your well written journey..
"
-  I felt  nothing - not pity , not sadness, not regrets ..... the next day he acted out as usual - it confirmed my decision to me , but it didn't screw me up emotionally like it would have done as I have cut the cords and broken the hold "

I'm getting there..when I see my ex now acting all normal I try to feel nothing.  I have lots to feel after being with her a bit longer than you...  fear, sadness, hurt.

I'd like to get to the point where I feel nothing..if not that..not pity or fear but a apathy? When I see her.

The thing is..we feel..it meant something to us.  Its taking me longer than her because I am not a monster. 

Congratulations on your divorce and freedom.  The relief and freedom from our troubled spouses is priceless.  Write back and give us all encouragement and perspective. .even us long timers need it occasionally.

Big sincere hug

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

March 25, 2017 12:50 pm  #5

Sallyfindsout - what a fantastic way you put it - very clear and concise - well done you on your divorce and getting to where you are in such a short space of time! Here's to a brilliant next phase of your life!

Sometimes we are just the collateral damage in someone else's war against themselves

March 25, 2017 6:24 pm  #6

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and solidarity

Linda - I likely will have to confront what you are living with now at some point in the future ( unless my soon- to -be -ex husband ends up living with a man, which somehow i don't see happening )  -  I don't know how I would react should he get together with another woman - that remains to be seen
Just remind yourself always that he won't have changed , and that sooner or later she will end up living exactly the same reality you did .... likely your relationship looked very different from the outside than the reality you were living behind the scenes , and it will be the same for her too ..... she most probably just doesn't realise that yet .....

Rob - thank you for the virtual hug and your warm words - when you have been in this place you just know the roller-coaster of feelings and emotions involved don't you... 
 It was 8 months for me THIS TIME around,  but only because I have been here before -  8/9 years ago - back then,  when I first found out he was living a double life in the gay world I was totally devastated , my world fell apart and I totally lost my mind ! - I  could see no future without him - I also realised then that I was totally dependant, almost co-existent ;  that I had somehow lost myself in trying to be the person he wanted me to be ....I didn't have the strength to confront what I knew deep down inside to be the true extent of reality -  and back then I was also still very much in love with him - we had 2 small children ( 7 and 12),  I really wanted to make my marriage work and to keep my family together - and I guess I wanted to believe his lies ( I am not gay, it was just to find out .... It won't happen again ... things between us will be different ... I will work on x y z etc etc )  
So I forgave him - and for many years thereafter I worked on letting go of the resentment I felt ( as that is what true forgiveness entails)  Looking back now I realise I allowed myself to be hoodwinked because I was not in a strong enough position to change the situation - I doubt he even remembers the promises he made to me back then . Now I know he said them to placate me at the time, to wiggle out of the fact he had been 'caught out' - he wasn't truly sorry at all, he was sorry only for the consequences of his actions not for the hurt caused, nor for what he had done ....  but THIS time around it was and is different

His addictions had reached a point where they were influencing every aspect of our lives - we had lost the peace in our home and it was no longer a haven to return to

I had realised that he no longer made me happy - actually the opposite ....

And these feelings bring out a self preservation and survival instinct - I am NOT going to be the kind of person who forever feels their life has been ruined by someone else - because it hasn't - my self esteem is no longer linked to his opinion of me 

There are difficult moments - and I know I need to protect myself emotionally by keeping in a safe place - listening to certain songs or music is not good as it evokes feelings of melancholy or memories - going to restaurants that we used to frequent together is also not good - but there are new places to discover, new friends to make, new cities to visit and countries to travel to .....

I keep busy - it is a protection for the mind - but at the same time I know I need to work through the memories and feelings and emotions - I just need to do so gradually so they don't flood  over me like a torrent and sweep me away

I am doing OK - actually I am doing well - and I am grateful for having discovered this forum as reading the many posts on here back in the summer is a large part of what gave me the strength to make the change and the confirmation it wasn't all in my mind ....

I thought I would feel daunted ... but I don't ... I feel free ....

Last edited by sallyfindsout2 (March 25, 2017 6:27 pm)

March 25, 2017 8:27 pm  #7

Linda, same for me 30 years married. I was second wife, he is now with another woman. Serial GID.
Abuser of women because he can't accept who he is and has always been. A gay man.

March 26, 2017 8:58 am  #8

Linda and sunflower,

It certainly hurts seeing them around or seeing them at all because they act like what they did is ok..that they are moral.

They are not.

I hope my ex does marry and is happy...her girlfriend, a man, a unicorn.  But somehow I think even her new outward appearance is false.  Everything about them is false.  Not my problem anymore..and for that I thank God.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

March 26, 2017 1:38 pm  #9

Hi Rob!  I remember when you first got on this site.  I was just going through it and couldn't support anyone due to my deep pain.  I remember your pain.  You seem to have gotten further ahead in the healing process than I have. I am very glad for you.  I guess my set back was when GIDX tells me he is in love and getting married.  I had hoped it was with a man ( I could have accepted this more).  So this has set me back quite a bit. On the other hand, I have taken steps to go no contact with the in-laws and his family which though it is difficult, I see that it the only way.  I also have decided to find a new church.  All of the changes have hit me hard.  He has had NO changes and can continue with his life on the down low with a new bride.  Deeply heartbreaking but I am forcing myself to accept a couple of dates.  Hopefully I will begin to feel happy again.  You have come such a long way.  I hope soon I will be right behind you.

Board footera