OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2017 7:45 pm  #11

Re: ...

Hello Cat - Re getting Social Security disability, you might want to check into things a little more.  If you have a denial letter, those can be appealed.  It is my understanding that a very large percentage of people "win" on appeal.  Some say it is fairly standard to be denied on a first try.  Make sure you work with a disability lawyer who specializes in Social Security Disability, not just "any old" lawyer.  If you are married to a US citizen and have been for some time, I am pretty sure you can collect  Soc Sec disability on his work record (it does not take away from anything he would get, it is just used as the benchmark for how much you would get).  Also, if he dies, you should be eligible for his full amount as a widow's benefit, not just half as you indicated, unless there is something about the citizenship thing, but the general rule is that if you were married for over 10 years, you are over 60 (I see you have 3 years to go), and he dies before you, you are eligible for the full amount of what his benefit would be.

Also, you might want to check with Canadian Social Security.  I think it is called "Old Age Security" there?  From what I know, the system there is quite similar to ours.  In the US you can sometimes draw on the record of another family member, i.e. your spouse or a parent.  If you can prove a disability before age 22, you can usually collect/draw on the record of a retired or deceased parent.  If your parents retired and or died and were eligible for Canadian Old Age Security, you might be able to draw off of one of their work records, if they handle things pretty much the same as we do.  I have some very minimal experience here, and from what I do know, the Canadian system is very similar to ours.  It would certainly be worth your while to look into it.

You also might want to check with a Canadian lawyer - again one who specializes in disability and Old Age Security, not "just a lawyer".  There really is a difference in what these people know.

If for some reason, you cannot get disability via your husband, you would still be eligible for standard Medicaid (welfare) assistance in this country.  That would allow you to move into public housing (the buildings for disabled and seniors are really not all that bad), get medical coverage, food assistance, and have a life of your own, with other people around to socialize with.

Assuming your husband has been regularly employed for many years, you would get a better deal with Social Security Disability, but if that won't work, you can still get basic Medicaid.  The monthly amount is not as much, but it would allow you independence and the opportunity to carve out a new life of your own and develop some new "in person" friends, rather than just online and phone as you indicated.

Just some ideas off the top of my head.  I hope they are helpful in some way.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" - Sir Walter Scott

January 13, 2017 7:55 pm  #12

Re: ...

A small addendum to the previous:  Some retirement places (both independent living and assisted living) have a small number of rooms available for people on Medicaid.  They are few and far between, but they do exist, you just have to hunt them down and maybe get on a waiting list.  The age requirements vary from as young as 55 to 60, 62, or even 65, but again they are definitely worth investigating.  They offer a room, meals, and lots of socialization; often have a nurse or various caregivers around to help too, depending on the individual place.  Given your age, you might want to look into that more than just public housing.  As one gets older, the retirement places can be a much better option, especially if you have some disabilities.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" - Sir Walter Scott

Board footera