OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 10, 2016 2:22 am  #121

Re: A gay ex-husband answers your questions

Thank you everyone for posting. JK asked about something I posted. I wrote that it took about 15 months for me to get back to normal. What I meant was it took me about 15 months, from September 2015 until November 2016, to get out of my depression. To be very honest, I don't remember a lot of what happened during that time although I do remember starting to post here in October and it's helped me a lot. I think this timeline will vary depending on how the marriage ended, the actions (or inaction) of the gay spouse, and the age(s) of any children. So JK 15 months isn't a hard and fast rule, that was just my own experience. 

A few things I've read here got my attention. They are:

1. Gay/straight couples who move to a new house near the end of their relationships. 
2. Gay husbands telling friends & family their wives caused the divorce rather than 'the gay thing.'
3. Gay husbands begging to come home one moment and then suddenly saying they 'want out of the marriage.' 

A narcissist does all of the above. There are three distinct phases of a narcissistic relationship: idealize; devalue; discard. Idealize means sweeping someone off of their feet. This is when a narcissist acts like the perfect partner, or a straight partner in our case. Devalue is when the narcissist spews all of their self-hating venom on a partner which describes the violent end of most gay/straight relationships. And discard is what JK recently described in a recent post: 

"I see an email from my husband to his lawyer saying "I need closure on this marriage so I can begin my life without all this negativity."

While painful, it might be helpful to see all gay in denial spouses as scorpions. (I've used this example before.) Unless he or she comes out of the closet and chooses to live honestly, all they know how to do is sting. Like a scorpion, narcissists are simply emotionless hunters looking for prey. All they care about is getting their daily supply of love, adoration, and admiration. 

What is confusing for the straight spouse is how their partners can go from being scorpions one moment to cuddly little rabbits the next. A narcissist most fears being alone so when they sense the end of a marriage for example, they may temporarily jump back into the idealization or "loving" phase. They'll romance you, distract you with a move to a new house, and become interested in sex. But once they have you isolated or back in the relationship, they revert back to stinging via verbal abuse, lying, affairs etc. The email JK described is a chilling reminder of how quickly the gay-in-denial narcissist can discard a former spouse or relationship. He's no longer getting what he needs from you, so you're like an empty carcass that he just discards. I can only imagine how hurtful that must have been for JK to read. 

With regards to gay ex-husbands telling friends and family you caused the marriage's end, this too is another thing narcissists do. The narc is all about keeping up appearances and maintaining a steady supply of "love and admiration." In my own relationship, my (then) wife and I could have the biggest argument and, flick, I could turn on the charm with dinner guests as if nothing had happened. After all, I'd been pretending to be straight my whole life. Until a narcissist fully experiences whatever emotions or trauma caused the narcissism, which for us means coming out, he/she can never stop playing a role or wearing a mask. We don't really have personalities because we simply adapt so that others love and admire us. We are obsessed with how others see us, particularly friends and family, and this may lead a gay-in-denial ex-husband to truly believe you did all the things he did. It's really f*cked up but the narcissist actually believes what he's telling others: that you cheating; that you are gay; that you lied etc. It's called 'projecting.'

I hope that helps in some small way. Be well my friends. 

December 10, 2016 7:51 am  #122

Sean,

"... I hope that helps in some small way. .."

Thanks, it does.. ..it validates to me what I went through... I was discarded...and boy did she suddenly project her bad behavior on me... I was mean..I cheated.. on and on..  it was all preposterous but said with absolute conviction..I was speechless most of the time in pure shock and horror.
Much of my time here and going to my therapist  is trying to get over TGT..  that I'm not crazy, that it really happened... that I couldn't have caused all of it. 

I thank everyone for listening to me .  I'm trying to move on ...  so glad to be away from my narcissist...but too wounded and confused to  be totally over it all.

Last edited by Rob (December 10, 2016 7:52 am)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 10, 2016 6:28 pm  #123

so Sean, how does one deal with the projecting of a family narcissist?  any way to stop it, any tips on how to handle it?  Christmas approaches....

December 11, 2016 12:33 pm  #124

In response to your questions: 

"How does one deal with the projecting of a family narcissist?  Any way to stop it, any tips on how to handle it?  Christmas approaches..."

I'm afraid that I'm no expert, although I do consider myself a recovering narcissist. Youtube is a good resource that might help Lily. The narcissist needs a constant supply of adoration. Unfortunately, gay in denial narcs are highly manipulative and easily angered...particularly when they aren't getting exactly what they want. They also tend to create drama because some narcissists thrive on conflict. One method that seems to work well is to go "gray rock." I think I recall Kel writing about this in a previous post. I believe she shared her techniques of remaining as boring and non-committal as possible. I think she also limits time spent with her narc ex to avoid getting contaminated so to speak. 

Gray rock means acting as boring and uninteresting as possible, like a rock, so that the narcissist simply loses interest in you. It's important to keep in mind that you can't change a narcissist, nor can you force a gay-in-denial spouse to come out. The best way to protect yourself is to go no contact. If you have children together, some contact is of course necessary. Unfortunately, the narc ex will often use any contact to manipulate and gaslight you. So I'd recommend keeping minimal contact, perhaps via text only. And when responding to a narcissist, respond only when you're calm because the last thing you want is to show any emotion whatsover. So I'd recommend you keep your replies as short and uninteresting as possible. 

If your narc ex is telling everyone you're gay, you cheated, or otherwise caused the relationship to end, I wouldn't recommend getting in the mud so to speak. Arguing is useless because the narc will always win and your protestations will only make you look unstable. The narc also surrounds his/herself with people they can manipulate so there really isn't any point in trying to win back you former friends because he's likely been working on them once he sensed your marriage was ending. Just keep your distance, safe in the knowledge that your narc ex will eventually blow up most relationships other than his/her relationship with the kids. Narcissists eventually hang themselves on the countless lies they tell others. 

I hope that helps in some way. 

December 11, 2016 1:18 pm  #125

Maybe because kids are a good supply of the attention a narcissist needs? Once they hit their teens and start developing into independence you might find the relationship changes.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

December 11, 2016 4:33 pm  #126

Perhaps young children provide the kind of unconditional love, attention, and adoration that we all need. I'm not sure narcissists can be good parents...perhaps they make particularly sh*tty parents. Who knows? I guess my point is that an ex-wife can't do anything to fix her gay-in-denial narcissist husband. Although many here have tried. If I use myself as an example, my wife and I spent 18 unhappy months together post-disclosure. During that difficult time, I became an even more toxic narcissist while she continued in vain to heal me. In my situation, we were better parents apart because we were no longer constantly distracted by our own broken relationship. At the very least, separation and divorce allowed us to focus on our kids. 

Last edited by Séan (December 11, 2016 4:34 pm)

December 12, 2016 5:58 am  #127

I spent 25 years with my ex-wife before we separated and divorced. I was just 18 when we met...a baby! By spending so much time with another person, we developed our own rhythms and habits - both good and bad. My point is that long-term relationships are like ocean freighters, they take a very very long time to change course or even stop. In my situation, I came out to my wife in May 2012. We told our kids we were divorcing in September 2013, separated in December 2014, and divorced in September 2015. We spent 25 years together, mostly happy years but painful and angry years near the end. Speaking for myself, I had to learn to be alone again as my wife had custody while I have weekend and holiday visitation. JK wrote:

"He seems still focused on us being parents, together.  I believe that we each need to be the best parent we can be, separately.  For now, I am willing to try to celebrate Christmas, together, as we still have a Santa believer, at home."

​I think we all need to learn to be apart and this includes the gay ex-husband. In most heterosexual marriages I've seen (including my parents and older sister), the wife usually manages the household while the husband has the role of provider. When my ex-wife and I separated, I would often go over for dinner, babysit the kids, and sometimes sleep over while mom was away. This was a transitional phase during which we still tried to maintain a friendly relationship, while learning to live separately. It didn't go well. 

​So what's my point? My point is that it takes time to accept reality (my husband is gay and isn't coming back); mourn the end of a relationship (my marriage is really over); and then learn to live and co-parent separately. In my case, we couldn't remain friends although we tried. I think JK's husband wants to parent together because this is a form of security for the gay male spouse. (I can't speak for gay ex-wives because I'm not a woman.) For a man who depended so much on his wife, the prospect of going it alone is terrifying. Hell the prospect of doing a family barbecue alone is terrifying enough for most men let alone a lifetime of child rearing.

​What to do then? JK should do what works FOR HER! Of course he wants to have Christmas at your place because he just wants to show up to a nice house, have a nice meal, and get love from the kids. Whether or gay or straight, few men do all the cooking, cleaning, buying presents, setting up the Christmas tree etc. Now that you're separated, you're free to set your own terms. So make sure he participates by bringing food, presents, cleaning up etc. This year my ex-wife and I will do Christmas morning together with the kids, but I want this to be our last Christmas 'pretending' to like each other. And we don't really like each other if I'm being honest. Next year, we'll do what I believe Kel does with her ex which I think is an excellent compromise. Parent #1 has the kids Christmas Eve, then morning with parent #1, friendly hand off to parent #2 for Christmas "part 2" midday (so the kids have two Christmases), and then Christmas dinner with parent #2 and family. I guess my point is that my ex-wife and I had to slowly learn to decouple. While there was a separation, we had to emotionally separate as well and this means time apart to live and parent as individuals. 

So I think JK is absolutely right to encourage independent co-parenting. ​I hope that makes sense and helps someone.       

Last edited by Séan (December 12, 2016 8:20 am)

December 14, 2016 6:37 am  #128

This is a shout out to two incredibly brave new members, JK and Vicky. If you're in the early "questioning" stages of your journey with a gay (or gay in denial) spouse, they are wonderful examples of strength and courage.

​Straight spouses have often asked me why their partners used them or lied to them for decades about being gay. [When referring to gay/straight marriages, I write about a gay husband and straight wife but this doesn't exclude straight husbands and lesbian wives.] The question is along the lines of: "Why doesn't my gay husband just own it?" Looking at my own story, I didn't want to be gay. Society didn't want me to be gay. And so in my mind, I wasn't gay. I married and had children to conform while supressing my homosexuality.

​So what's my point. I didn't wake up every day and say to myself, "How can I f*ck up my life, my wife's life, and the lives of my three children? Ok let's get started!" While I often acted like a narcissist near the end of my marriage, there wasn't any malicious master plan. I just wanted a happy marriage and happy kids. Yes I was born gay, however, I didn't finally accept it until I started coming out to others. The last person I came out to was myself when I accepted the painful truth that I had two sh*tty choices: remain in a broken, sexless, and unhappy marriage; or divorce and potentially spend a lifetime alone, gay, and pathetic. Neither were very appealing choices as you can well imagine. 

So what's my point? While the gay spouse often lives through a period of denial, I believe many straight spouses share a similar period in denial. I've read countless posts here from straight wives who also question whether their husbands are truly gay. One recent post was the perfect example of a straight spouse trying to explain away her husband's homosexuality. It was along the lines of, "I know he's slept with hundreds of men but before he met me. ​He told me he was just getting off and that no feelings were involved."

​If I remember correctly, JK knew that her husband had a year-long relationship with a younger man. But until recently she maintained that it was platonic. Similarly, Vicky continues to question whether her husband is truly gay as he has feelings for her and yet sexual urges towards men. I've often referred to this period as "limbo." It's a certain amount of time post-discovery when we're starting to work through the shock and pain that our marriage might really end.

​My point is that for every straight spouse who demands: "Just come out of the closet for f*ck sake!"...there are just as many straight spouses who are grappling with their own form of coming out. And their coming out journey is about accepting their spouse's homosexuality. ​Kel is someone I truly admire and respect. She's a very "tell it like it is" person who has very generously shared her journey from straight spouse, to angry ex-wife, to forgiving her gay ex-husband. But even she just realized that her ex-husband was a narcissist! Sometimes I've stood too close to a work of art that I can't truly see what it is. Sometimes I have to stand back to truly appreciate and understand something.

​Taking a step back from my own story was exactly what I needed to do to move on. What went from, "Maybe I'm not gay" to "Maybe I can be gay and ​married" to the painful conclusion that "I'm making no one happy by being a gay man married to a straight woman." But it's a journey. Post-disclosure, my (then) wife and I were in shock. We bumped along in limbo/denial for about 18 months before it became apparent we could no longer remain together. It was just too painful.

​So for every straight spouse asking a gay spouse to just "OWN IT!" I'm reminded that both gay and straight spouses go through a gay-in-denial or bargaining period. It's a time when they try to explain away, minimize, or even accommodate the gay thing. So while some of us may still be closeted or perhaps choose to forever remain in the closet, we unfortunately force our straight spouses into that same dark closet for a time. As Kel shared: "It's interesting how clearly I can see other peoples' shit, but not my own." 

December 14, 2016 11:28 am  #129

Aw, thanks Sean.
I've said before I didn't feel strong.  Well I am starting to.  I did call that period being in limbo and used to describe it that way too.  I don't feel that I am in limbo anymore.  I don't know what my future holds but neither does anyone really it all can change in a moment.  I just know that the situation I was in was not working for me and I've started making the steps to change it and it feels great.  He would prefer to put that genie back in the bottle and it's just not possible.  So he's being forced to own it whether he likes it or not, he's not dragging me through this for another year and make me crazy.  One of the better outcomes from making these steps for change is that I am starting to sleep better, I don't know if in nearly a year I've slept through the night.  I don't get as many hours in as I'd like but I'm sleeping more soundly than I have in awhile.  I guess my mind is finally getting some peace.

Vicky

December 14, 2016 2:37 pm  #130

Well done Vicky. You're taking action and doing things for yourself and the kids. Your posts seems more focused, assertive, and just generally stronger. What a terrific example for both your own family and this forum. You make an excellent point about sleeping better. Our bodies often tell us how we're truly feeling before our brains catch up. I remember seeing a naturopath shortly after coming out to my (then) wife. I was a complete wreck both mentally and physically. But when he dared mention that I was likely 'depressed' I went into a rage, claiming 'I've never been happier!' It was complete bullsh*t and I can laugh about how delusional I must have looked back then. If you're sleeping better, that means you're resting both body and mind. Keep going and please keep sharing your journey.    

Last edited by Séan (December 16, 2016 7:37 am)

Board footera