OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 28, 2016 7:56 am  #1

5 Months Post Breakup, Need Support

Hi, I'm new here and really just looking for some support to help me process the emotions that I'm feeling right now. I'm 24, Male, and from the UK.  I have read through other topics and the overwhelming support and warmth of this place makes me feel safe to share my story.

Let me tell you my story...

Around 2 years ago, I met a girl online. We clicked instantly, to the point where I was convinced after about 2 weeks she was my soulmate and she said she felt the same. We moved in together after 3 months. Too soon? Probably, but at the time it just felt right. She lived around 20 miles away from me and to me, she was my idea of perfection. I had been in relationships before, but never had I felt this level of connection with another human being. It was like she just got me, and I her. It was absolute bliss and I knew this was the girl I wanted to marry and be with forever. I just knew it.

So, we lived in bliss for around a year. Sex was good, we argued occasionally but nothing major. She confessed to me in the early stages that she had had sexual experiences with her best friend when she was younger, and found women attractive, but never once did I even suspect that might suggest she was gay. Bisexual perhaps, but not gay.  I should mention that she had been married before and had a young son aswell, who I adored and looked at as my own.

We had a normal, happy family life. She'd often tease me about footballers she found attractive, or actors she would put on her 'list' of 5 famous people we could fool about with. You know, normal stuff. She wasn't affectionate at all, as in she wasn't one for cuddles and snuggling to together. Again, I didn't think was a sign she was gay. More just that she wasn't an affectionate person. Hey, it happens.

So, fast forward to around 18 months. The sex gradually declined and she started showing less interest in me,  but we were happy enough.  Then, she got a new job. At this job, there was a lesbian who she instantly clicked with. The woman was married, in her 40s, but all she talked about was this woman. She didn't have many friends, so I was happy she had met someone who she got on with so well. Then, one night, we argued. I can't even remember what about now but the next day I had to go to my mother's to pick up some paint, as I was decorating her son's room one afternoon.

That was when it happened. I was sat on the toilet when she text me saying she had something to tell me. I asked what, suspecting it would be something along the lines of she was going out that night, or (foolish thought, now), that she was pregnant. Then came the answer "I'm 99.9% sure I'm gay"

Needless to say, the shock cemented me to the toilet seat. I couldn't believe it. Wave after wave, just washed over me. I was speechless. I tried to call her, no response. Tried to text her, she said she didn't know what else to say.

Things moved quickly from that point. She asked me to get my stuff out of the house ASAP. I asked if we could talk. She said she had nothing more to say. I asked for answers to the thousands of questions I had. She said she had nothing more to say. It took me two weeks to get my stuff out, but every time I went round to talk she just wouldn't say anything. One time, she sat on the phone to her friend openly mocking me as I packed my things to the point I broke down in tears and asked why she was doing this to me. Why was she so cruel? All contact to her son was cut, instantly, and she wanted nothing more to do with me. The last text she sent me was "I have lied to everyone about this for 25 years, so don't think yourself special I've done this to you". So, so cruel. This was aswell as other stuff as "my family are happy for me, why can't you be?". Not one of her friends or family contacted me after the breakup to see how I was.  Even my own family seemed more concerned with her as they wanted the 'gossip'.

I moved my stuff out 5 months ago, and haven't heard from her since. I have tried to get answers to my questions, I have tried to process the 2 years of lies, but I am just shooting in the dark and have had no where to turn. I feel so used, beaten, ashamed and embarrassed. My head is just a clouded fog of memories as I try to desperately search for signs that I should have seen this coming. Trying to process the fact that I have been lied to for two years as a way to cover her own sexuality. It hurts that another human could be so cruel to do this to someone they claimed to have loved. 

The worst thing is the adulation she received for coming out. This may sound selfish, but how dare she be celebrated when she ripped my life apart and stamped all over it without even the decency to tell me to my face, and let me build a bond with her and her son. We talked of the future, of holidays, marriage and a family of our own, literally 5 days before she broke up with me. I moved cities to be with her, and relocated my job so I could be closer to her. None of it makes any sense.

People don't understand. They just go 'how could you not have known?' or 'did you not enquire about a three way relationship Hahaha gee wizz' and I'm just left in my own thoughts, trying to process what the fuck has just happened to me over the last two years.

I see everything through a gay filter. I'm not homophobic in the slightest, but two of my very good friends, both lesbians, are getting married next month and I just had to decline the invite to their wedding as it just makes me shake with anxiety. I worry every woman to some degree is gay and will leave me in the future. I'm scared to open myself up to that level of love only to have it thrown back in my face. I'm an absolute mess, and I need to know just one thing - will this get better? I get up, go to work, come home, and that's it. I'm on antidepressants because of this and feel like the whole world is mocking me because of it. I feel like was just collateral damage in the whole scenario of her realising her own sexuality and it rips me apart that nobody understands the emotions, the pain and the confusion.

Sorry for the long post. But any advice would be appreciated. Please. Thank you.

Last edited by Geordie1992 (November 28, 2016 8:30 am)

November 28, 2016 10:28 am  #2

Re: 5 Months Post Breakup, Need Support

Hi Geordie,
​Sorry you're here.  She sounds awful.  People won't understand they'll probably make light of it as it's an awkward situation.  I know what you mean about the gay filter and others here have expressed similar frustrations.  It's so in your face now when before it didn't affect you.  Everyone thinks the closeted spouse is so brave but they're really assholes.  If they were brave they wouldn't drag you through the mud, they would have come out and been honest with everyone before destroying a few lives.  You said you can't go to your friends wedding, don't let her have the satisfaction of ruining your chance to honour a friend at her wedding.  You might regret not going in the future I guess it depends on how good of a friend she is.  Maybe skip the ceremony and go to the reception stay for dinner and leave don't get drunk, just a thought.
​Take care.
Vicky

November 28, 2016 11:58 am  #3

Hi Geordie,

I'm sorry you need to be here, but welcome.

What your ex has done to you is truly deplorable.  I've seen this sort of thing before (even in straight affairs), and it's like they fall in love (or at least think they do) and some switch gets flipped and suddenly, everyone who's not their new love is to be discarded.  As if anything that stands in the way of that new relationship must be swiftly and forcefully kicked to the curb so they can embrace their new life with open arms.  I've seen straight men do this to their straight wives when they have affairs - to the point where they start cutting off power and heat to a home that has their young children in it - because that's all the "old life" now.  It's truly mind-boggling.

Because I've seen this happen before in both straight and gay relationships, I'm more inclined to think that the sexuality doesn't matter as much as the fact that they are just not good people.  They are not "confused" - they know EXACTLY what they're doing, and they're just selfish jerks.  Warning: she may come back, begging about how she was confused, and you're really the love of her life, etc.  We call this "love bombing", and it's what happens when their new relationship doesn't work out and they want love back from an assured source.  Don't fall for it - the cycle will repeat again until you make it stop, or until they get tired of the game.  At this point, the words coming out of her mouth should all be considered lies.  She's admitted that she's been lying to everyone for 25 years - she openly admits to that (which is, believe it or not, rare), so if she's done it for that long, she'll keep doing it.

Please know that you will never truly, fully understand what happened.  And that's because you cannot relate to taking someone whom you profess love to for granted and using them for your own gain.  Your brain wants to make sense of it all - it's human nature.  But know that you won't ever get there.  All you'll ever get to is a point of acceptance.  Acceptance is NOT the same as embracing it - you don't have to embrace something to accept the reality of it.  This was done to you, it had literally nothing to do with you, and it was all about her using someone else (because trust me when I say she's used others before you).  This is not about you at all - you are simply the innocent victim.

I know it doesn't seem like it now, but be glad that you got the truth (that she's gay) and that she's been doing this for a quarter of a century, and that you saw the truth before you got further involved with her.  And by that, I mean that others have had this done to them once they have a family together - kids, joint properties, etc.  Be glad that you didn't have to untangle your lives legally, or didn't have to deal with an STD.  She's acting deplorable, and you have every right to be confused, angry and sad.  But I'd look at this the same way as if I'd found out that I'd been duped for my money - it has nothing to do with you and everything to do with them being an intentional user.  They find their "victims" by choosing us for our openness, our generosity, our accepting nature, our tenacity and our dedication.  These are all GOOD things, and they will serve you well when you do eventually find the right person.  Don't go changing.

People can be so cruel (both due to lack of tact or insensitivity) when it comes to the gay thing.  If they say something cruel like, "how couldn't you have known?", I'd have my pat answer ready - "Haven't you ever been hurt by someone without seeing it coming?"  Of course they're gonna say, "Not like THAT, no".  Then you just say, "Then consider yourself fortunate."  If that doesn't shut them up, then outright tell them they're being insensitive and participating in victim blaming.  Then walk away.

Hold no shame - you did absolutely nothing wrong, and you did NOT deserve this!

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

November 28, 2016 3:43 pm  #4

Thanks so much for your kind words guys. It really means more than I can say.

As for the whole love bombing thing... I feel ashamed to admit it but I am so torn up and confused at how I feel right now I know if she text me I'd go back. I know I would. And I'm ashamed of that, I check her Facebook every few days just to see if she's in a new relationship. It's self destructive and I know I need to stop but I can't, I loved this girl so much. It's pathetic I feel this way I know, and I'm trying my best to move on desperately from it. Hopefully finding this forum and reading the great advice on other threads will help me do that.

November 28, 2016 4:37 pm  #5

Hi Geordie,

I feel your pain.  You got hit with a double whammy - not just the gay thing but someone you thought was your soul mate.  Someone who you really connected with and who "got" you.  The pain of feeling like you lost a soul mate is even worse than the gay crap, in my opinion. 

I divorced my gay in denial ex after 10 years of marriage, 12 years total.  I was super hurt, torn up, cried on the floor, etc., but I never considered him my soul mate.  We had great times, but to me there was always a tiny bit missing although I could never put my finger on it.  Fast forward to a few years ago when I had my heart broken by the love of my life, my soul mate, I finally found, someone who "got" me.  Yep, I was love bombed.  I'm smart, educated, and savvy, but it happened none the less.  That knocked me on my ass more than anything my gay ex did.  I can't imagine the pain of having a gay ex who was also the love of your life. 

HOWEVER....your story is not over.  I'm 44, you're 24.  I know you don't want to hear it right now but you have plenty of time to meet the real love of your life.  Yes, there are some assholes out there.  There are bad people everywhere.  But for every one of those people, I truly believe there are 10 other good people who are looking for you.  This will pass, I promise.  Don't let the fake world of facebook (worst invention ever) get you down.  95% of that shit is fake.  Fake pictures, fake smiles, fake lives built around nothing more than promoting a lie that is their life.  Even good friends of mine do it.  We've all seen it.  I'll give you an example from my own experience: the post about how "blessed" they are with a picture of their family, bragging about how close they are to their step kids when you know good and well she can't stand her stepchildren because she literally told you this not 30 minutes before this post.  Why?  just why?  It makes me ill.  Another example: A friend of mine posting pictures of her and her spouse decorating Christmas cookies yesterday even though they are living in separate rooms, fight constantly, and on the brink of divorce that she's hiding from her family.  So - if someone I know that well is posting stuff that fake then what do you think your ex is doing?  She's simply promoting what she wants people to think.  Don't give it another thought.  My guess is that her profile is public so everyone can see.  As hard as it is, don't look.  But if you must, know that what you're seeing is a perfectly sculpted line of BS told to everyone in pictures and stupid comments. 

The best advice I ever got about getting over the person I thought was my soul mate was to do something a little different every day.  Go on a walk, one day drive home a different way, go to a different store, try a new food.  Do things that never involved them.  Change it up just a little.  Eventually their memory will start to fade and you will start to heal.  You're five months in...you should slowly start feeling better from this point on. 

I know guys don't typically have super close friends like girls do - do you have people you can hang out with and have a beer and bitch about it to?  I found the more you talk about it (both the gay thing and the soul mate thing) the better I felt.  Every time I let it out, I felt better.  Forget about the people who are so proud of her for coming out or asking about the gossip.  Find the friends and family in your life who are more concerned about you than the gossip.  Lean on them for support.  If you can't find people like that then lean on us. 

And last but not least - a warning.  A lot of these gay spouses who come out and throw themselves into a new relationship and burn all their bridges do end up finding out that the new relationship wasn't all they thought it would be and sure enough they end up knocking on your door.  Please don't go back.  You're worth more than this.  You deserve better than this.  Don't let her use you as a cover.  Every minute of yours that she wastes is another minute that could be spent on the real love of your life. 

November 28, 2016 4:40 pm  #6

lol Kel - I really should have read what you wrote first.....I repeated a lot of what you said.  That just goes to show you - a lot of these stories are all the same.  No new material, just people choosing to be asshats. 

November 28, 2016 5:03 pm  #7

Geordie - as for going back the moment the opportunity presented itself, you need to get in touch with your outrage and self-respect.  I don't mean that as a put-down.  I mean that if you had a friend who told you that he'd had his gf do this to him, you'd be outraged at how she treated him - no matter how wonderful she may have been prior to that.  And you would want nothing more for your friend than for him to walk away from that situation, so that he cannot be further hurt.  You need to be that friend to yourself.  Be outraged enough at her behavior that it changes the course of your future behavior choices with her.

The other part is self-respect.  A lot of us here have felt like begging for them back - begging them, begging God, begging the forces of the universe.  If only they'd stay!  But when we pick ourselves up, heal, dust ourselves off and head out into the dating world again, we find that we have learned a great, invaluable lesson.  That if someone doesn't want me, then I don't want that relationship.  I personally will never again settle for less than "all in".  I will never settle for someone who feels complacent about me (nor me about them).  I will never settle for passionless sex, or make excuses for their poor behaviors.  I will heed all red flags (it may be too early for you to look back and see any of those yet, but in time, you may).  It would devastate me if my current husband (I exited a gay relationship and found love again) cheated on me or somehow emotionally left me.  But you can bet your bottom dollar that never again would I be the pathetic beggar that I used to be - "Love me!  Need me!"  HELL no.  You want a woman to WANT you, not just give in to your pleas.  And as soon as you go back to a woman who has played you like a fiddle, she knows exactly what she can get away with in the future.  You've taught her that.

Run, don't walk - away.  Fast.  Run like your hair's on fire.  Don't turn back.  Only look forward until you're so far away that looking back would only be for the purpose of self-reflection and learning.  You two have nothing to discuss now - she's been atrocious to you and you won't stand for that.  When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.  That kind of love will never be enough, and you would never have the ultimate trust you once had.  It's never going to be good enough again, despite what she may say or promise in the future.  Keep going and thank your lucky stars that you don't have kids to share or property to split up or an estate to divvy.  Thank the good lord above for showing you this all before it was too late to go no contact.  And that's exactly what you should do - go no contact.  STOP looking at things that will cause you harm (like her FB wall).  Unfriend her - do it now.  Then you hopefully won't be able to see.  It matters not if she moves on on FB - she's already moved on from you, and you know who she's done that with.  Whether or not it shows on FB doesn't make it more or less true.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

November 28, 2016 8:11 pm  #8

This is the first time I've been offered advice since the split that actually makes me feel better. I've beat myself up for months about this. I don't know if anyone else can relate to this next point, but I have actually, bizarrely, blamed myself. Looked back and thought 'was I not attentive enough? Loving enough? Did that time I got annoyed at her for this/that make a difference?'

And above all else, I question every day if she is actually gay or just used it as an excuse to dump me. Looking at it in the cold light of day, she really is a deplorable human being.

Kel, your words mean a lot. I need to stop thinking she's coming back and accept the brutal reality of it - that she's just not a nice person, she's used me for her own means  and I can do better. Right now, I don't feel that way. But hopefully one day I will.

Thanks to everyone who has posted. Really, every word means so much.

November 28, 2016 8:19 pm  #9

Geordi,

Ditto what the others said...

".. as it just makes me shake with anxiety."

In the beginning I should with trauma at the betrayal.. the shear blatant cheating she was doing.  She was my entire world.   Then when she decided she didnt want to be married she became a raging mean monster.   I would then shake with trauma.     I can shake now if she text me.   

Is this  what you want to go back to ?   So if she meets a friend for dinner is it two friends getting together or a date?  What if she stays out late with the friend?     One  cannot live like that.   That is not marriage or a relationship.
You don't want to go back to someone that lied and hurt you so much.. you better hope she doesn't break up with here new girlfriend and want you back...that is just further hurt for you.    I recommend NO CONTACT.

In regards to your other feelings...we will never know how these spouses could lie to us for so long ...  In my ex's case I think its the kind of person she is...I think she would have cheated with a man if she was not
gay..  she's a narcissist with this great sense of entitlement.   When I look back I don't see the gayness but I see lots of narcissism. 

Walk forward and away.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera