OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 24, 2016 12:19 am  #1

My gift to myself

Many will be doing some retail therapy this holiday season  (I think we all deserve it).  Still there is little I can buy to help me deal with the sadness and post dramatic stress inflicted by my horrible gay ex.

One thing I finally did was change her text sound on my phone to a calm beep I can hardly hear.  The effect was profound.  I can calmly answer text from my kids or family knowing it is them. 
Her text...well if I even hear them I can safely ignore them... while it may be about the kids she is not entitled to an immediate reply.  I no longer have to dread looking to see who the text is from..  her sound = no attention.  I read some later today and they were preposterous. .barking orders at me about the kids as if she had any claim on me ..   
I highly recommend this simply compassionate gift to oneself.  (Yeah I should have done this a long time ago but new small steps everyday).

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

November 24, 2016 8:24 am  #2

Re: My gift to myself

Way to go Rob! Enjoy a peaceful and Happy Thanksgiving!

November 24, 2016 10:07 am  #3

Re: My gift to myself

Great idea Rob!  99% of the time my phone is on vibrate, but I think I'll do the same thing.  Happy Thanksgiving Rob.  Know you're not alone this holiday.  There are many of us with you today.

"Just keep swimming..."

Board footera