OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 14, 2016 3:52 pm  #11

Re: Custody ideas and input

Kel,
"..without depriving each other or the kids of their traditional times with both their extended families".

"We are kind to each other in that if one of us has special family vacations (with extended family), we swap weekends to accommodate that."

Sorry but your ex is right up there with Steve's in sainthood.   My ex is only  accommodating when it suits her needs.   This year she wants the opposite of what our schedule (legal agreement) says.    I get hurt either way..if I agree I may not like the arrangement and I mess up next year.   If I say stay on  schedule everyone is mad at me and I'm miserably anyway.    Holidays are ruined already.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

November 15, 2016 2:28 am  #12

Re: Custody ideas and input

Rob wrote:

Kel,
This year she wants the opposite of what our schedule (legal agreement) says.    I get hurt either way..if I agree I may not like the arrangement and I mess up next year.   If I say stay on  schedule everyone is mad at me and I'm miserably anyway.    Holidays are ruined already.

My x often wants minor (mostly) changes to our schedule as most of her extended family lives nearby and they do lots of stuff together. I try to accommodate her, even though it doesn't feel reciprocal. But it gives me a clean conscience. I'm doing the best I can to make our cooperation as good as possible, for my kids. I believe that the best childhood I can give them is one where their parents don't fight. And that they need both parents.
As much as I wish I would newer have to deal with her again, there is just no way out.
Make the best of this situation, do something fun when the kids are away.
Jack

Board footera