OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 25, 2016 9:41 am  #21

Re: Detaching with children involved

I remember when my dad finally kicked my sister out of the house. She was 27, had been living at home for almost five years following her college graduation, and clearly had no plans to leave. Why would she? She had everything: a stocked fridge; rent-free; and lots of space. My mother was dead set against kicking her out. "She doesn't have any money! She can't live alone. Let her stay for just another month!" she pleaded. My father was having none of it. He knew that living at home was actually holding her back in life. A week before moving day, my sister miraculously found a boyfriend...with a house! She moved in with him, they married, had three kids, and now live about 15 mins away from my parents. So what's my point? If I understand your situation correctly, your husband will only start swimming when thrown into the deep end. You and your kids are now his life raft and he'll drag you down to the bottom if he can. He's about to embark on the most tumultuous part of the coming out process and, believe me, you and your kids don't need to have front row seats. If he was smart enough to lead a completely different life, all the while hiding it, he's more than capable of finding a bed, job, etc. In this particularly situation, I learned that more time was actually more harmful than anything. It's time to set a drop dead date, move out, and start healing. I hope that helps in some way. 

October 25, 2016 9:48 am  #22

I could not agree more with what Sean just said above. 

Time to take control of your life and home and let the person who lied to you strike out on his own and live with the decisions he has made.  He is capable and will do fine... but only when you put your foot down and let him stop using you. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

October 25, 2016 4:33 pm  #23

Hi, JKpeace.

This is great advice:

Rob wrote:

Well you may want to remind him he can't live for free with you forever ...
Scratch that, there may be no getting through to their mentality.
I think that is where my lawyer was worth every penny. We sent the settlement to her lawyer showing this is what is what we want..the house is to be sold etc. While this made it more horrible living together it constantly emphasized that the current situation had an end. If she wanted it to end..sign a settlement. If she didn't want it to end the lawyers would wait but the court system would not...they eventually threatened a mandatory trial if we couldn't settle it.

Do you have a lawyer, JKpeace?

Rob wrote:

Even if your STBX is comfortable he needs to sign a settlement.

Yes.  When faced with a settlement, he suddenly might not be so "comfortable" anymore.  It would be like a cold bucket of ice water being poured over him, waking him up to reality.

Rob wrote:

And btw half of his retirement money is yours anyway so he's a bit naive in thinking he's somehow protecting "his" money. Btw2; divorce 101 for gay narc spouses..half the debt is theirs too regardless if they have a job or not. Regardless if they are gay or straight.

He needs to know all of this info.  He needs an external reason to get a job and stop sponging off of you, because the motivation isn't going come from within him.  He's too twisted and is being completely self-centered.  His current "comfort zone" is using you.  He needs to be kicked out of that comfort zone, or he'll continue to use you.  With negative financial consequences staring him right in the face if he doesn't find work, he might become highly motivated to find work.

October 25, 2016 9:55 pm  #24

JK I'm not in your shoes so I wouldn't even think about suggesting a deadline. HOWEVER I do believe that a specific date is required for everyone involved. Stating to your husband, "You need to be out by [date]" would force him to accept the end of your relationship and hopefully start thinking more logically about both his professional and personal lives. This certainly worked in my relationship. As a gay man, I too tend to think of the term SSA (or 'same sex attraction') as rather strange. I'm more comfortable with the terms 'gay' or 'bisexual' but I do understand the need for clinical terms like SSA. I think it allows people just starting this journey to see sexual orientation as separate or apart from the individual. For example, spouses who remain in mixed orientation marriages (or MOMs) often refer to their partner's SSA, as if it were like a virus to be contained. But we're all on a journey here so I don't want to come across as sanctimonious. After all, at some point I thought I was hiding my sexuality from the world when almost everyone around me knew I was gay in denial. 

Board footera