OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 9, 2016 11:55 am  #11

Re: I need clarity. Advice appreciated.

Buffy123 wrote:

...6 months ago he told me that he needs to come out about his sexuality to everyone. Again I supported him. But now he feels convinced that our relationship cannot continue. That he feels like it will be hiding who he is even though I've been supportive of him, that I said I'm fine if he is gay and we are still together. He doesn't know how that can work. He says he still loves me and cares for me but doesn't have a solution theresfore doesn't think we should try. He is afraid trying would hide him.

Perhaps your BF is ready to not only come out but also to begin a complete intimate relationship with another man. Perhaps he is ready for a relationship with another man that is both physical (sex) and emotional (mental, emotional and spiritual intimacy).  Its not that he can't or that he does not have genuine feelings for you. He obviously does have feelings for you, but his love for you may be very different than the love he feels for a man and he may just be feeling the depths of the love of a man for the first time.  Its not that he does not love you; it is that the love he has as a gay man for another man is different.  

You two have been open and honest and you have very supportive of him. Talk to him.  Seek clarification.  If he is not able to continue a relationship with you then there is little you can do to try to make him stay and work on it.  Prolonging the separation when one partner is done will make it harder and more hurtful than is necessary.  I am so sorry that you are going through this.  You can stand tall knowing that you were a kind and generous partner.  

"No matter how hard the journey may be, remember to be kind to yourself..."

October 9, 2016 2:18 pm  #12

Hi Buffy, 
If it's your boyfriend who isn't convinced it can work then point him to some resources.  Having said that if you don't have kids but if you're long term plan is to have kids you should seriously think about what that would be like in an open relationship.  Some say the desire only gets stronger as they get older, which seems plausible to me but I'm not expert, and you don't want to be home with a handful of kids while he's out with his boyfriend.  Can I ask how old you are?  
I do think he's been open and honest with you so that is a great start to maintaining your relationship.
Vicky

October 9, 2016 3:36 pm  #13

Buffy123 wrote:

It's just hard to understand how can two people be together for so in long, in love, shared happy times - half that time knowing about his attraction to men - and then all of a sudden he turns the switch off and is done. He makes it seem so black and white - if he wants to be open about having attraction to men then he can't have any emotions or feelings for me.

Is it wrong for me to want to give it a try for 6mths and see if we can make it work? I think if we were to do that I'd either find closure and we can move to being friends or we find a way to both be happy and stay together.

Although being gay is more accepted now that it ever has been, it's not something anyone would ever choose to be.

Your boyfriend has not wanted to be gay for a very long time.  He's denied it, fought it and hated himself for it.  Part of the reason he's been with you for so long is because he was relieved to have found a woman he loves.  But, for as much as he loves you, he's still gay.  He's realized can never be fully fulfilled by being in a relationship with you, no matter how much he loves you.  He knows this with absolute certainty, that's why he's told you.

Having finally accepted himself, the struggle is over.  He's run a life-long marathon and he's exhausted.  He can't pretend he's straight anymore.  When you ask him for six more months, you're asking him to keep running.  Physically, he might be able do it, but his heart and passion are not in it.  This is why you've seen a sudden switch.

Because he loves you, as much as a gay man can, he's trying to break-up and not hurt you.  He's trying to gently transition your romantic bond into a friendship.  He's waiting for you to understand.

Yes, you can try for another six months.  There's no reason why you must move on with your life and find a man who is inherently capable of being fully fulfilled by you.  Absolutely, you can stretch things out and give yourself time to adjust, if that's what you need to do.  Just understand that your relationship has permanently changed and you do not have a romantic future together.

October 10, 2016 3:49 am  #14

Jkpeace,
I was married 46 years and explored just about every possible option within the almost five decades so I draw off of substantial experience compared to most here. Nothing worked or could have worked (according to therapists) in this scenario because I am not Gay. You can't negotiate away your sexual preference and needs to be close to and experience intimacy within a marriage. And then there is letting go of the committment to be monogamous when you married them. That's not a workable scenario. It is remarkably sad and uncomfortable ending with the same conclusion others come to in months or a year. I tried it and know this. I made significant errors in allowing this to go on and on for decades thinking it would work out. 

The "road map" you mention everybody has does have commonalities along the way but ends up at the same destination. Why delay the obvious? I am living proof as well as you and others here it cannot work. I did see you acknowledge this earlier. 

With regard to the dancing around, I don't think that serves anyone well. We've all had enough spin and false stories in life. Fluffing any of this up and putting a bow on it is just more of it. I think it's much better to share experiences and the failure or success of those for anyone wondering and then end it with a mention you respect whatever decision the subject person makes. 

If I could go back to the 24 year mark - where you were when you filed - I can tell you I would file for divorce. I went 22 more years! I led a very busy demanding life but all the evidence was there and I just kept on pressing ahead and calling myself married when clearly, I was not. I let a man I love completely dupe me and treat me terrible in the interest of staying married and keeping my committment to him. I should have been paying better attention to my quality of life which was cruel, profoundly sad and downright disgusting. I was alone in life and I don't think he would have noticed if I died. There was no sex - well, with me anyway. There wasn't anything more you could do to a spouse worse than all of what he did to me. He cheated on me with women all over the place, then later with men. He told me shortly after we got married he had sex with his sister, brother (3 way) and mother. He stole 125k from me, plotted against me with others and headlocked and choked me when he was forced to give answers to my pressing questions on his sexuality and lack of fidelity. I took care of him through a brain tumor, amputated thumb and cancer and then when I broke my leg in half and dislocated and broke my ankle, he left me for dead. I was completely bed ridden for months and at his mercy.  Some days I had my meds and some days food but never every day. My leg became infected and he didn't care! vFresh out of surgery he informed me that I wasn't being nice enough to him and he was going to divorce me after leaving to be with another man. I was on morphine,  very sick, and had to learn to walk all over again over a year. Still, I went six MORE years trying to hang on until he stuffed a long time male lover down my throat and they both treated me horrible working as a team together.  In the meantime he tried to get us into a pyramid scheme with another man and we almost lost our home. He's also been terminated from NINE jobs in his adult life. He took a liking to terminating his employees and smarting off to and picking fights with his boss at work. There is no point in anyone hanging on to this scenario. I've had multiple therapists tell me this. I am trying to figure out why a woman with an IQ of 148 and a full blown legal background who weighed evidence for a living, would do something so incredibly stupid. I don't miss him. He's the worst of humans. He is a chronic liar about everything. He had a cell I knew about and then pre-paid cells on the side. I just don't want him to hurt me anymore. I finally get it. I offered a committment to a man who was not worthy of it and me. Wow. I have been avoiding typing all this out lol. I guess I am better off than I thought I was abused for 50 years and covered for him. No more. - I am so much better off. He's living 60 miles from me and leaves me alone. Yes I am sad and feel like I have been run over and I can't stand anymore some days BUT clarity prevailed after 46 years and I threw him out for good. I fear I will never trust any man ever again. The thought of dating terrifies me. I don't know how I will ever be able to have a healthy relationship with a man. I think if he kept looking at his cell phone, I'd throw up on him and then run him over with my car. I can't take anymore lies or spin.

Yes, we have two daughters ages 45 and 43. Neither are in my current state or within 2k miles of me. The youngest has bought whatever story he told her. She has ditched me for good. I kept all of this from our children (another monumental error)  and I'm now faced with them being vulnerable to his lies about me. The oldest knows the truth but it's so ugly, she doesn't want to get involved. Don't wait to tell your grown children!  I am alone and that's fine. I will be okay.....I live an authentic life with nothing but the truth in it and I now control my future. I'm secure in every way that counts - I am just angry. And btw, the male who he's been hooking up to for the last 13 years can have him. Wish him the best of luck. He's going to need it.

jkpeace wrote:

Judy,

I understand what you say about people "dancing around the issue" here.  I must say that, for me, I HAD to consider every option.  Had I not considered every option, I would feel that I had not done my best in trying to save a marriage.

I may have had doubts.

Now, I have realized that I cannot stay married.  I was married 24 years.  Disclosure came 10 months ago. It took me 9 months of considering every option to come to my conclusion that we needed to divorce.

I see no harm in each of us telling our story, at whatever stage we are.  Considering every possible option never hurts.

Had someone told me to "run like my hair is on fire" 10 months ago or even 3 months ago...I just wasn't ready.    Now, that phrase suits me.

Your story has helped me.  Each person's story has helped me.  We all take this journey using a different map, traveling with unique individuals.  

I do like the advice of us each just continuing to tell our stories.  They have been a lifeline for me.

JK

P.S.
If your boyfriend is saying he is gay, I would thank him for being honest.  Please, try to find a good counselor.  He is telling you that he cannot stay with you.  My husband was not so clear.  His confusion made the decision more difficult for me.

Personally, I think it is extremely rare, if not impossible, for a straight spouse to be with a gay spouse & be truly at peace with one's soul.  In my case, I believe that neither my husband nor I would be truly happy.

Last edited by Judy (October 10, 2016 5:34 am)

October 11, 2016 6:02 am  #15

Judy.  You need to change your user name to Mother Theresa.  Better yet.. I'm going to start calling you Saint Judy. 

I'm not sure if you are a religious person or not, but in my book, you have earned more "treasures in heaven" than you can imagine.  Your devotion and patience and commitment is stunning and while you've been given pain here in this life you will have great reward in heaven. 

You may call yourself stupid for staying in that situation for so long, but you are a spectacular woman.  You took a vow and you kept that vow far beyond the call that any person should have to endure.  You were dealt a cruel hand, but you can now use that experience to find happiness and to help others deal with their own tragic situations. 

I've never met you, but I'm proud to know you.    

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

October 14, 2016 5:21 am  #16

Lost Dad,

You can't imagine how much your post meant to me. It's hard to look at all this that's happened to me and step back far enough to get perspective on any of it. Being 65 and going through this has made me feel there is no chance and not enough life left to ever recover from this pain and have the possibility of finding someone so that I don't die alone someday. I never planned on this in life. I want a male in my life I can trust and love. I'm still very shocked by all of it. I also have taken full responsibility for waiting far to long to end this. I feel like I've been dropped out of a tornado and I'm looking to see if I am still alive and have my arms and legs.

Thank you for the nice words. I hope you are right. 

Judy

lostdad wrote:

Judy.  You need to change your user name to Mother Theresa.  Better yet.. I'm going to start calling you Saint Judy. 

I'm not sure if you are a religious person or not, but in my book, you have earned more "treasures in heaven" than you can imagine.  Your devotion and patience and commitment is stunning and while you've been given pain here in this life you will have great reward in heaven. 

You may call yourself stupid for staying in that situation for so long, but you are a spectacular woman.  You took a vow and you kept that vow far beyond the call that any person should have to endure.  You were dealt a cruel hand, but you can now use that experience to find happiness and to help others deal with their own tragic situations. 

I've never met you, but I'm proud to know you.    

October 14, 2016 6:48 am  #17

Glad to have you here judy,

I concur with the word saint..

I don't count myself among them. ..I couldn't do it ..the putting up with the lies, cheating, and physical and emotional rejection..
It shook me to my core.  I would shake with trauma. ...basically because my best friend and spouse turned into the most distrustful and wicked person.  It was like she turned out to be the playground bully and it was now my turn for a pounding.  The devil incarnate she turned out to be.

I couldn't live this demeaned life..I tried for many months..but could not.  For example I stopped sleeping in the bedroom due not just to the lack of sex or physical contact but due to her staying up all night in bed texting the girlfriend. ..I couldn't sleep and she did not care I couldnt sleep.didnt care if i cried...I had been replaced..I was garbage. 
She filed for divorce months later and took off her wedding rings (the act of filing meant she could go out overnight and it was not cheating now).

Vets here know my story...
I kept paying all her bills ..including the hotels and sex toys (she didn't work)..right up to the day the divorce was finalized. Through all the rage and abuse I kept paying the bills.  It was demeaning and degrading to me ...  but the day divorce was signed I told her I'm done paying.
She was shocked and horrified..surely I had to keep paying for her excursions and bills.  Surely the rage and things thrown at me and threats meant I was still obligated to provide for her.  It was like she didn't understand what the word divorce meant or the papers she just signed.  I kept my promises..my words and love were absolute..but she divorced me..thus is what she wanted.   

I have PTSD now and can start shaking at the sight of her. 

But I would not have lasted years.. this all took place over 2 years..  Its sad because one thinks one could have tried..but she was hell bent on ending the marriage.. and it took a year and half of pure hell..almost a year to complete the divorce. My time in hell.  Hell n earth.

So yeah Judy you look back at wasted years but we see a strong person who kept their word and promises. Longer than us all.   To this day more than TGT I'll never understand how someones love and word can change with the wind..and I thought me and my ex had been through tougher stuff.
The shallowness scares me.  So when I see people with strong true love authenticity. .yeah. saints..saints you appear to me.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

October 14, 2016 7:55 am  #18

Judy wrote:

Lost Dad,

You can't imagine how much your post meant to me. It's hard to look at all this that's happened to me and step back far enough to get perspective on any of it. Being 65 and going through this has made me feel there is no chance and not enough life left to ever recover from this pain and have the possibility of finding someone so that I don't die alone someday. I never planned on this in life. I want a male in my life I can trust and love. I'm still very shocked by all of it. I also have taken full responsibility for waiting far to long to end this. I feel like I've been dropped out of a tornado and I'm looking to see if I am still alive and have my arms and legs.

Thank you for the nice words. I hope you are right. 

Judy

Saint Judy,  

You will find someone and you will have love in your life for many years.  Because you've known the misery of a bad relationship you will fully appreciate the joy of a good relationship.  What a lucky man it will be that finds you.  He will see the love of a real woman who has been refined in the fire and takes nothing for granted. 

I want the same for my life.  I can see it coming someday.    (well... except that i don't want a man to love.. )

Last edited by lostdad (October 14, 2016 7:55 am)

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

October 14, 2016 8:20 am  #19

Get away from him as quickly as possible! Be thankful you didn't marry him!! Get out and begin your life without the increasing pain and devastation that this will bring.

Board footera