OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 28, 2016 2:36 pm  #11

Re: Kind, Honest, but Lesbian Wife

Thanks a bunch, Bob. A lot of similarities there.

We are handling it well (I think)--my wife has maintained she cannot imagine a life that I am not a part of at all, and I have agreed to explore the idea of being friends, with the caveat that I honestly don't know whether I'm just holding on to the marriage or whether I actually want her in my life in a non-wife capacity. I have expressed this to her, which terrifies her, but she respects it. 

We might eventually go no-contact, but not right now. She is still living at home and I imagine she will for a couple months at least, if not through the end of the year. We will finalize the divorce and file it, and then she will move out at some point after that. As far as the divorce, everything is amicable--honestly it is pretty easy to just re-set ourselves to the way things were before we got married; we've been together a long time and but only been married for two years. We will likely just iron everything out ourselves (I'm an attorney, which helps) and then just pay someone who isn't me to formally file the complaint. I have no interest in making it contentious, as I've seen first hard where that goes (nobody wins except the lawyers, and in this case I'm a client).  

Only complication was the house, but she has agreed to let me buy her out for a very reasonable figure, and I think she will hold to that (it helps that she isn't really money-driven at all). She has a place to stay with a female friend (a straight one) as soon as we decide to split. 

The hardest part will be figuring out what to do with my life when she eventually leaves. We moved across the country (I live in Nashville) from the west coast (I'm from Oregon, she is from California) and started a life out here relying really on just each other. My close friends and family are back on the west coast, so my social life here was really just her. We've made a couple friends (all married now, of course), but nothing like what I have back home. I have expressed to her that I would probably move back if a job opportunity comes up. This also scares her, but she gets it. I just don't feel there is much left for me here anymore; my life here was with her, and it's gone. 

I feel like I can get through this and am even ever-so-slightly excited about the prospect of one day finding something even better, because my life with my STBX was really pretty good most of the time. But I'm not sure I can do that in my current city, if that makes sense. i'm very introverted and not a big "go out and meet new people" kind of guy (it actually is fairly overwhelming for me, always has been). Unfortunately it isn't as easy as just "pack up and leave," or I probably would.  

September 29, 2016 5:04 am  #12

It sounds like you've got a really good grip on things, and you're on the right course. I would give some caution re the divorce - before my ex and I separated we had agreed to how things would go and costs etc, but after we separated and met to discuss things changed. I think we did reach a fair figure in the end (although it was 4x what she originally agreed) - but in our last meeting she did start trying to go for a lot more - upwards of 12x what we originally agreed. I had in the meantime done my sums on what I felt my assets were, and stuck to my figure of half of that. It was a bit contentious, but she agreed to my figure in the end. 

My and ex and I were both terrified of what our lives would look like without the other. I can't speak for her, but for me I've found a lot more happiness in my own company, and with others. I am also quite an introverted kinda guy, and I was able to hide myself away in the marriage. When it ended, I forced myself out into the world - I did this simply by accepting every invitation I had from friends, family and acquaintances which flooded in when the split was made 'official' (i.e. posted it on Facebook). I went out to dinner with people I work with, used to work with, old school friends - I went to visit friends and family around the country and abroad. For the first 3 months I didn't really stop moving - I was out almost every night. I took charge of my schedule and calendar, and when people made a suggestion that we meet up, I had my phone out immediately and pinned them to a date. I still do this now (although perhaps not as forcefully!) and it keeps me delightfully busy. 

I didn't go out specifically to meet new people, I met them through strengthening my existing friendships. There's no one in my life now I didn't know (or know of) a year ago, instead they're just bigger parts of my life than they were before - friends of friends becoming my own friends for example. 

I also pushed myself - there were things I didn't do during my marriage that I would have liked to have done, which I didn't do because I had settled into a routine and didn't want to rock the boat. I therefore prioritised those things, as I knew I wanted to do them - for example I joined my best friend at his weekly games night, through which I've made half a dozen great friends. I'm a huge nerd, so I hosted LAN parties with those same guys at my house - these are now quarterly, and there's about 12-15 of us who gather together and it's barrels of fun I denied myself in the marriage. 

Now I didn't need to deny myself that in the marriage - my ex had encouraged me to do more for me, I just never did as I was in a routine and I felt I had to stay home and look after my ex (there were health issues, but there was definitely an element where I was using this as an excuse). I still had denied myself those activities though, and I therefore took the separation as a catalyst to do those things for me that I wanted to do. Best decision I've ever made, as my life is now much bigger than it was, and I'm a lot happier. 

In terms of what to do with your life when she leaves - this is both the best and worst thing - you can do whatever you want to do. You will be free to make decisions for yourself, by yourself and follow them through. This freedom is amazing, but also scary! I was used to running decisions past my ex, and suddenly I found myself master of my own destiny and not sure what to do with the power!

What you might want to do (what I did, now I think about it) is give yourself a little space and time. Although I kept the house, I moved back with my parents for 3 months to give myself space to recover. It was nice to have someone I could talk with, but also on a domestic level it helped to have my washing done and meals cooked. It seems lazy to look back now, but it made such a difference when I was a mess to be looked after - I kept going to work, but a lot of the chores of adult life I was able to shirk for a bit. 

After 3 months (which took me into a new year) being looked after and doing whatever I wanted for fun (my credit card took a bit of a beating) I took the reins of my life back. I redecorated my house, and moved back in when it was done and started 'being an adult' again. 

I don't know if your work allows it, but could you take a sabbatical for a few months and heading back home to your close friends and family? They will want to help you through this. You don't have to decide now exactly what you're going to do 'big picture', you just have to look after yourself.

I don't mean to be cruel, but you don't have to think about how she's going to take your actions. You talk quite a bit about how she feels about what you might do, but you don't have to factor that into your decision making. 

Hold onto that ever-so-slightly excited feeling! It will grow. There is opportunity in all crisis. You're doing great!

September 29, 2016 9:59 am  #13

Bob,

You're not being cruel, just honest. I can appreciate that. That said, it's easier said than done to stop considering her. I've been considering her feelings for almost a decade, hard to turn it off. I also don't think she is "wrong" in all of this (she deserves to be who she is, just like I deserve a true partner), it's just really shitty she had to drag me through this to figure it out. 

My STBX was pretty good about telling me I should do more for myself, but like you, I just got too comfortable and probably too dependent on her. The prospect of soon having all of that freedom is pretty damn terrifying. 

As far as a sabbatical, I doubt that is an option for me, but I may be able to go home for a couple weeks or something. It's a good thought, thanks.  

Board footera