OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 9, 2016 1:20 pm  #11

Re: CD/TG husband--help

Kel,

You bring up such a good point and it is one that I have continually swept under the rug: shame.  

I wasted so much time and energy in the recovery process due to shame and I think I may still carry a small change purse full of it way down at the bottom of my pocket book.

But the shame is not ours.  It is not our burden.  Kel is right.  His actions are not your actions. Do not let guilt, shame, fear, and embarrassment keep you stuck in a bad relationship.  

No one is walking in your shoes and no one is living your life.  You have done nothing wrong.  At the end of the day we all swing our own sword. Once you stand up for yourself it gets easier and easier to do.  My X never thought that I would stand up and walk out. He had me right where he wanted me and I was "going to have to live his life and get used to it".  Those were the final words that broke the camels back for me.  Live your life, not his. Break free of the madness.

"No matter how hard the journey may be, remember to be kind to yourself..."

September 9, 2016 1:45 pm  #12

Kel, I usually believe your candor is bang on, but I respectfully disagree on this one. I have ZERO concerns on how his shit makes me look or reflects on my reputation or character. For one, I am not at all against  sexuality outside hetero, so 'embarrassment' is a moot point. My anger & issue is with the lies, waste of my life & all that jazz. 

With regards to the cohabitation issue, I have no choice right now. I'm in the process of getting my legal stuff together. I fired the first lawyer as she wasn't pitbull enough & she made me feel like it was doomsday for me & the girls. Eff that!. Within 2 months all I have been working on, biting my tongue over & maneuvering will be presented to him & I we can finally have some space. In the meantime, I have set major boundaries, even emotional ones. Conversation is business-like & curt & I call him out on his fake flirtations & all of a sudden affection. He's shocked & scared of my confidence. So am I ! 

You & others are right though, real freedom doesn't happen until there is no cohabitation.
Cheers  

September 9, 2016 2:24 pm  #13

Tired, my husband was not a cross-dresser or questioning his gender identity but I completely understand your exhaustion. I also had no sex and a separate bedroom for years. I even concluded that men of course are sexually attracted to men because, after all, I was. My self-esteem was zero and I did not know it.   

I realized yesterday that Caitlyn Jenner was not the only one who came out as a woman at age 60+. I did too in a way when post-separation I again started taking charge of my life and caring about looking and being feminine. Just because your husband has most of the closet space doesn't mean that you have to be the man of the family. 

When you are ready to break out be the woman that you want to be. Don't worry about what he does or looks like once you are legally free of him. There are men who are straight and aren't coveting your wardrobe but take your time and get comfortable with your new self first.

September 9, 2016 2:59 pm  #14

I wish there was a"like" button. But Thanks Rob! 

Abby, The toll it takes on a woman's core femininity is devastating & probably the most obvious outward sign she is not feeling too good about herself. Along with all the usual side effects about self esteem & depression, the added crap us Str8 spouses take on or get buried in is truly sad. I JUST recently started giving two hoots about my appearance. It's pretty sad when a friend told me I was the hottest friend she had, I burst into tears. Like, the ugly cry! I have not felt attractive to the opposite sex in 2 decades! Why would I? It didn't matter if I spent hours or milliseconds getting ready, it was like I was invisible. 

Add to that you are basically competing with the "other woman" in your very house? Or Christmas/birthday gifts that were bought for you are actuallly intended for him to steal & claim? Yay, disturbing and twisted.

When I am no longer cohabitating & the locks are changed, I am buying a whole new wardrobe. at the very least, my current undergarments will be burned & replaced! He has stolen the glory out of most of my closet & jewelry & a constant reminder nothing was sacred.

Last edited by whatasham24 (September 9, 2016 3:06 pm)

September 10, 2016 10:12 am  #15

Many of us straights have invested years not knowing what was wrong. The marriage counseling sessions were a farce and another way for us to continue being duped. In some of my greatest moments of vulnerability and self-reflection, I tried to change myself and not look at my spouse's need to change. I compromised my reasonable expectations, and it enabled his bad behavior (detached, distant, sulky, angry, and secretive ways) even more. The counselors try to play fair, but you can't do that with a liar who holds the strategic advantage. Counseling was just another forum to dupe me further and to keep me running in the hamster wheel as he continued to hide the truth about himself. How dare he take such advantage of me emotionally, but that's the type of person he is in hiding his secrets; and I was chosen by him for who I am.

People hiding deep secrets often chose a spouse who looks for the best in others, who makes it a principle to give people the benefit of the doubt, and someone who loves so deeply that he/she cannot fathom that their spouse lies, never mind that he/she is a pathological liar!! Sure the closeted individual might initially fall in love with the straight spouse, but he/she realizes that we are not a cure for them. Instead the straight spouse becomes a disappointment to the closeted individual and eventually the straight is resented for his/her gender.

The risk of their "Hide But Don't Seek" game increases and the closeted spouse vacillates between either being silent and evasive or being a great story teller. By the way, most of them act as if they hate to travel. Yet, they love it! Most of them have jobs or opportunities that must include traveling (without us). Traveling with a straight spouse, though, puts them too close to their sexuality issues in marriage, so that must be avoided! The travel dilemma is just another factor in their closeted life. They travel for sacrifice! Believe it or not...or not no more!

One of the scariest things in the discovery of my deceptive spouse was walking away from what seemed like a wasted investment of years. I found, though, that there are gems that can eventually be found amongst the rubble. Many of us straights have had to take those few valued pieces of our lives and move forwards away from what is truly emotionally dangerous. It's an excruciatingly painful process, but it's a journey towards freedom out of a prison of lies.

Your husband communicated that he doesn't care about your feelings and that he's still going to do what he wants to do. You probably know only the tip of the iceberg about what's going on, and he seems ready to take you for a long ride being dragged behind (no pun intended). Is that what marriage should be or what your vows entailed?

As far as your kids go, they know something is off in your marital dynamics. They probably just can't figure out what is wrong nor do they want to. As much as we want to protect our kids, they are exposed to our marital dynamics even if it's the silent but piercing tension in the room...or the fact that their parents often don't sleep together. Yes, we can all laugh and enjoy family times, but  "it's" still there. The lies with their toxicity effects are still there.

I think you need to be emotionally safe and free from trying to figure out a relationship with a man who is obsessed with being a woman, something that you didn't sign up to support in your assumed heterosexual marriage. Yet, you need to make planned decisions, trusting your gut and the timing of starting something that always feels inopportune (at least initially). Truly your circumstance is tragic. I'm sorry you are here with the rest of us, but I'm glad you found us.

September 10, 2016 10:32 am  #16

To Kel and Wendy T

I too understand shame - the failed marriage, the disappointment I am to others, and even my being ostracized by those I love for not measuring up nor giving the continued benefit of the doubt that some others thought I should. I couldn't. I saw all the lies - the old and the continuing lies. It was like a veil was lifted and I saw how blatant his lies were, including to gaslight me.

We straights are truly misunderstood, and I too hold onto some spare coins of shame. What I wanted most in life, fought for most in life, and invested my efforts towards in life didn't happen. I never wanted to compromise my intact, loving family, but I was not the one who shook it's foundation. The lies did, and they were there even as I walked down the aisle. Unbeknownst to me, my marriage was built on something that couldn't last - at least not in any healthy constructive way and not in any way that supported the vows that I said in truth and not fraudulently.

Shame on us? No! Shame on the liar! Even still, shedding shame is still a process.

September 11, 2016 1:40 am  #17

This doesn't need a therapist.  Let GO.  Let him do whatever he's going to do.  You've been trying to control it & you're spinning your wheels.

Get a lovely settlement.  Live YOUR life, stop living his.

September 16, 2016 2:53 pm  #18

Oh my gosh--I can't tell you how much  your responses mean to me.  I've been afraid to even look back on this forum since I posted.  It is funny how I've been so afraid of being judged, whether it is because I stayed so long or because I'm not accepting of his behavior.  (and I know that sounds crazy)  I've been so afraid to leave him and get divorced.  Growing up it was drilled into my head to not ever get divorced.  I saw my therapist yesterday and she asked me where I wanted to be in five years and it's funny how I can't even figure that out.  There are times I'm super angry at him and I know I want to get out, and then there are times I think, maybe it's not that bad, stick with the devil you know.  However, I am starting to imagine different scenarios for myself.  And for the first time, in a really long time, I am starting to feel hopeful. 

Whatasham--I feel like you and I have a lot in common.  It seems there are more and more people coming out with this situation, with all the media acceptance and almost promotion of transgender.  There's just so much about it that doesn't make sense.  My husband is less interested in the clothing aspect of it and more specifically just obsessed with growing his own breasts.  Yuck.  Sorry.  Anyways, will write more later but I wanted to say I really appreciate everyone's replies.  It is very definitely the club no one wants to belong to, but in 16 years of dealing with this crap in one form or another (although there were years where I didn't think anything was going on at times) this is the first time I've been able to communicate with people who actually understand.  I'm disgusted by all the money I've spent trying to make therapists understand.

September 16, 2016 2:56 pm  #19

Rob, I do know not all men are perverts and/or dishonest.  I am really sorry I said that.  The last thing I want to turn into is some man-hater.  I've had some bad luck with men but I do know there are good men out there in this world.  Thank you for being one of them, it gives me hope. 

Board footera