OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 14, 2016 7:46 pm  #1

I am tired of this roller coster

I deactivated my FB account.  Why? I know that I will sound like a horrible person but I am so sick of seeing my friends and their happy marriages.  I don't know what I did wrong to deserve this yet I know that I/we did nothing.  So why the hell are we here on this site? 

Do you ever want to just quit but you know that your children are depending on you so you continue?  You pretend, just like your ex-spouse pretended to love you.

I'm just feeling really down,  I know that life isn't fair all the time but damn. 

September 14, 2016 8:36 pm  #2

Re: I am tired of this roller coster

I hear you..they are called the "intact" families.  But FB is a fascade..we don't know if they are really happy ..they may have serious problems.
The loneliness makes me sad sometimes and I get mad at her for forcing me to be alone.  I get mad at her that all future events with the kids will be awkward and uncomfortable for all of eternity. 

But...contrary to my post about trust..  alone is so much better than being with her. Away from the abuse.  And I am free to do something about being alone if I want.  I know I deserve so much more.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 14, 2016 8:39 pm  #3

I'm sorry you are having such a rough time of it. I know I sometimes feel like the whole world is coupled off too. And some days are definitely harder than others, but gradually the harder days become less , then it's just a few lousy hours here and there.  And I wouldn't use FB as a guide for great marriages, I know plenty of total whack jobs who appear totally normal on FB, lol.  People can create any identity they want on social media. Hang in there, it will get better.

September 14, 2016 8:54 pm  #4

Keep in mind that FB is a bit like a 'highlight' reel. Very few people post when they have a bad day, argue with someone, etc unless it's for sympathy or fishing for supportive comments. Then there's the "humble braggers" - you know the type "Gee, so many bad drivers out there, got cut off three times while taking the '67 convertible for a spin." "My back hurts, remind me not to water-ski for 8 hours again."

I have a friend very open about their bi-polar, depression and stuff and she doesn't hesitate to talk about it on FB. Not for sympathy's sake but to draw attention to mental health and these sorts of discussions that some find uncomfortable. God love her!

I take everything on FB with a grain of salt. Watch out for click bait and always be skeptical of the "news" you hear about.

That being said - nothing wrong with going dark on FB if it helps you. I found the opposite. I didn't have an account until after this began. It allowed me to keep in touch with further-flung family, find old school chums and so on. Also (even keeping in mind the highlight reel) I find it's nice to get confirmation that relationships can be successful and am happy when I see something good happening to people I know and it was a helpful distraction rather than thinking about this 24/7

Last edited by Daryl (September 14, 2016 8:55 pm)

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

September 14, 2016 9:25 pm  #5

Don't compare other people's life highlights reel to your behind-the-scenes.  It will always leave you feeling lacking.  Comparison is the thief of joy.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

September 15, 2016 3:45 pm  #6

You are not alone Lost. Yes, I many a day and night where I was just so darn tired and wanted to quit.  Yes, I did a lot of pretending for my kids and putting on a happy face for show.  I became a huge believer of "fake it till you make it."

I don't do FB because it is a great way to feel less than and because my Narcissist X lives his entire fantasy life on it. I shoot for positive content most of the time. If happy married people are triggering you, best to avoid them for the time being.  Eventually you will stop noticing them everywhere, but until then only look and listen to those things that don't get you down.  Avoiding negative content is one of those things you can do to be kind to yourself.

"No matter how hard the journey may be, remember to be kind to yourself..."

Board footera