OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 10, 2016 5:53 pm  #2

Re: Eat pray love author comes out

jkpeace:
What is your husband's background, if you don't mind sharing? I mean, what was his family like when he was a child, or his religious upbringing if any, or his social circle? Do you or he know any gay people in your social circles?  It's interesting that he wants his therapist to tell him, almost like "diagnosing" him, because just letting himself be who he is, is too unacceptable. If that is so, then that's something he learned at an early age, is my guess. That really is sad and heartbreaking for both of you.

I wonder if he thinks it will be easier for him to explain, "My therapist tells me I'm gay, so I guess I am," as opposed to "I'm gay."  It sort of sounds as if he wants someone to be responsible for it, when nobody is responsible for it, it just is.

Last edited by BryonM (September 10, 2016 6:04 pm)

"I have given you my soul, leave me my name!"  - John Proctor, The Crucible
"Question everything you've been told; hold fast to what is true and good." - I Thessalonians 5:21

September 10, 2016 6:48 pm  #3

Another story about that coupling: http://www.chumplady.com/2016/07/eat-pray-kibble-divorce/    

September 10, 2016 8:44 pm  #4

Very interesting article, John.  Thanks for posting it.  A lot of food for thought about our gay spouses here.

September 10, 2016 9:30 pm  #5

Wow..reading how she had "relationships that overlapped".
To freely admit to being a home wrecker..

The complete lack of remorse, guilt, or compassion was one of the hardest things for me to grasp in the beginning of my exs destruction of our marriage.  Somehow my lezex convinced herself or her girlfriend convinced her that what she was doing was morally right.

Like a serial killer..

Locking my doors and thanking god I am away from her.

Last edited by Rob (September 10, 2016 9:32 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 11, 2016 7:13 am  #6

JK,

I think the immaturity you see now is that of a teenager with new found freedom.  Selfishness that may be ok for a teenager but not an older adult.  Ie.. staying out till 230 am,  speeding tickets etc..
I had several teenagers in the house..my kids and my new 16 year old ex..it sounds sick but I was sometimes fascinated watching her switch between being a mother and acting like a kid.  To this day it confuses the kids. Ie..  your  not allowed to stay out that late but I am.  No a normal parent of our age is not out drinking.
Yep her and her girlfriend. ..two middle-aged giddy teenagers..how they both didn't get a DWI is beyond me.  But they both thought they were wonderful mothers. 
Look out for your kids that's all I can advice folks here..our kids need at least one adult in there lives.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 11, 2016 9:12 pm  #7

I never read this woman's book and never saw the movie. But I just read her "mea culpa" - it wasn't really even a "mea culpa," it read like a plea for pity and understanding.,, because now that her secret partner is dying of pancreatic and liver cancer, NOW she finds the strength to come out.

I suspect the real reason she decided to come out now was that she realized she could use her partner's terminal illness to beg for sympathy, and to overlook her self-centered past. "Oh, don't be mad at me now, not now, you can't be mad at me when my secret partner of 15 years, who I never acknowledgeded before, is dying;. you just have to feel sorry for me now..."

Puhl-lease.  I am sorry your partner is dying, that is indeed a tragedy. But don't turn it into a narcissistic feast for yourself. That disrespects her...  not to mention whatever you did with your husbands or male lovers in the past...  She sounds like a real piece of work...

Last edited by BryonM (September 11, 2016 9:15 pm)

"I have given you my soul, leave me my name!"  - John Proctor, The Crucible
"Question everything you've been told; hold fast to what is true and good." - I Thessalonians 5:21

Board footera