OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2019 10:14 pm  #1

Could this be a really bad Mid-Life Crisis

I know I'm probably looking for something to give me any bit of hope that this is not happening. My wife of 10 years never thought of being gay growing up. It wasn't till about 8 months ago that there was something inside her that she never felt before but didn't think much of it. 5 months ago she told me after I brought up improving our physical relationship even though our marriage otherwise was without any problem (we both agree that is true) that she questioned her attraction to women.  What started off as not being so sure, she is now pretty confident about being gay. She actually had in the past few months kissed another female on a few occasions and touched each others breast but nothing more (that she admits to but I sorta believe it).  She could have easily done more but didn't.  
Lately it seems like she is irrational, confrontational, blames me for not being understanding or supportive, telling me she needs space despite me giving her all the space she wants (and yet she is the one who now initiates all the calls/texts), has missed out on the kids since she chose to go out with friends (which is fine) but not call them to say hello/goodmorning/goodnight (as she always did prior) and is plainly being selfish and tunnel visioned. It all sort of seems to fit the definition of a mid life crisis for which maybe time will pass, but I also feel that I am looking for excuses and a bit of hope. Anyone have any thoughts or experience, or is this also how this whole thing goes also.

April 11, 2019 2:02 pm  #2

Re: Could this be a really bad Mid-Life Crisis

hi Kyw,

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

No two stories are exactly the same, so I don't know whether my experience might be of use to you, but what I found, particularly in the beginning when I confronted my husband, was that he was on the one hand trying very hard to "own" this situation and acknowledge how unfair it was to me ... but I also suspect that somewhere deep down inside he had indulged the thought that just maybe some of this was also my fault too.  I think over the years, that seed took root and grew, and it bled out into other areas of our relationship (like money), where he secretly indulged a fantasy that somehow I was at least a tiny little bit at fault.  I think that intellectually he knew this had to be false, but he only ever had this conversation with the guy in the mirror, who never challenged him.

It sounds to me like the more guilty your wife is feeling, the more she's looking for excuses to dump it on you.

April 11, 2019 6:57 pm  #3

It would be nice if it were a mid-life crisis and could go away in time but I have a feeling that's not likely.
It sounds like she is steadily moving from 'a small something' to a much larger something that is making her share the pain all around. I had a spouse who seemed hell-bent on relationship destruction until she figured it out (with personal counseling). This was after at least one attempt to work on us but that didn't last long because the real issue was not being addressed. I hope you gain some clarity. Counseling for both of you might not be a bad idea.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

April 12, 2019 1:25 pm  #4

Hi and I'm sorry you're going thru this experience. I've been going thru a very similar situation over the last 2 months minus having kids in the house with us (mine are grown and on their own). Married 3 years. Both in second marriages and have enjoyed a very rich and physical relationship. Suddenly, my wife announced  that she was confused and needed space.  In trying to explain to me what was going on, she even said that maybe she was going through a midlife crisis. We agreed to give her space by having her move into our guest bedroom and to spend time getting clear on what was happening. After a week, she was back and feeling better. After another week, she wasn't good any more and need her space again. That's when I asked her to leave the house and not come back until she knew and could explain to me what the issue she was struggling with was. 

After about 3 weeks of gut wrenching separation with very little contact and no insight into anything. All the time thinking that she just didn't love me anymore and wouldn't be coming back, we set a date for her to talk to me about the situation.

That's when she told be that she was Bi and had been suppressing this identity since childhood.  In a certain way, it was a both a shock and a relief. Good to know that it wasn't something about me and at the same time, hard to think about what this meant for us and our relationship-marriage. We've since started to see a therapist, taking it slow, talking a lot and figuring out whether her needs can be met while we stay together or not.  She as since moved back into the house. The stress is gone, now that I know what's going on and we have had a great "Normal" last week. 

More counseling sessions are set and we are both looking forward to it.

Some guidance if I may... Concentrate on what you want while listening to her about what she wants.  Just because she's Bi or Gay doesn't mean that your marriage can't work. Take it slow and hope that she does as well.  Meaning, she might not need to act on the impulse or attraction to women, or she might. But slow it down in order to figure that all out one day at a time.

Write - Start a journal. It's a great place to let your emotions out and is a good thing to be able to go back to and read. It's been very therapeutic for me.

Find a support group - The LBGT community in my city is well developed and has all sorts of support groups. i'm going to my first meeting next week.

Stay active and eat well - exercise, meditate, and eat good foods, etc - This has worked wonders for me.

Keep talking - Be transparent with her and just keep the lines of communication open.

Therapy -  Find someone.

Hope this helps.  I'm still in a process. I don't know where it will lead and I still don't know if we'll end up together or not. However, I'm not worrying about it. I'm committed to the process and know that at a minimum, I'll be able to look back and say that I gave it my all to try to make the relationship work.

April 12, 2019 5:22 pm  #5

oh goodness.  You've been married 3 years.  I think you should go get advice about financial matters - what it could cost you to stay in the marriage longterm and then want to split up.

all the best, Lily

April 13, 2019 7:21 am  #6

lily wrote:

oh goodness.  You've been married 3 years.  I think you should go get advice about financial matters - what it could cost you to stay in the marriage longterm and then want to split up.

all the best, Lily

A prenup helps.

April 13, 2019 8:09 am  #7

Dansm15 wrote : Just because she's Bi or Gay doesn't mean that your marriage can't work.

My advice is think carefully about what you want and what you're willing to do stay in a relationship with someone when they have indicated quite clearly that you are not their priority.

April 13, 2019 9:17 am  #8

Kyw, I am sorry you find yourself in this situation. I too thought my GID was having a "midlife crisis" the year of his 40th birthday. By then he had been selected to be the partner CEO of the Canadian branch of a large British insurance company. He should have been thrilled to achieve the promotion for which he had worked 20 years.
Instead, he resigned!! Decided to start his own business, increased the mortgage on our home to finance the business.... 5 years later he told me he wanted to "explore his homosexual feelings". 19 years later, he is living in Nice, France, with a man.
I do pray that your situation is different; that it is a "mid-life crisis".

April 15, 2019 9:31 am  #9

I have wrestled with the idea that my wife is gay for decades actually. There were all of these little red flags popping up all over the place but there were always excuses to address them. I finally did some experimentation of my own during out sexual interludes to determine if she did in fact have any sort of physical attraction to me and it turns out that she didn't. It would always require some pillow talk of being with another or other women, or watching lesbian erotica in order to get her motor running. If it was just me, things just didn't work.

My wife totally denies any sort of notion that she might be gay. She just thinks its really exciting to think about being with other women sexually. I asked her if that wasn't essentially the definition of being a lesbian and she emphatically denied that. She doesn't want to LIVE as a lesbian, why, what would her family and neighbors think? She wants to LIVE as a heterosexual mom in a regular nuclear family but sexually her desires are to be with other women.

The fact that I am not a woman and can never really fulfill her sexual desires doesn't matter.  Let alone worry about fulfilling my needs physically or emotionally. I fulfill her need to live a life that looks "normal" to the outside world. I provide a cover story for her.

April 15, 2019 1:28 pm  #10

As a straight woman i have to say, I can never ever imagine myself to be with another woman sexually. If the hottest Victoria secret model wants to even touch me, it’ll gross me out. This idea that even straight women can be with other women just sexually is a very wrong notion in my opinion. it’s fed to us in media and movies.

If you are sexually attracted to another woman, you are definitely not a straight woman. You can be anywhere on that scale, but definitely not straight. It’s not a midlife crisis. You are born with it and have carried and suppressed it all your life until you hit your late thirties, early forties. That’s when you can’t suppress it anymore (like my husband).

Board footera