OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 20, 2016 12:41 pm  #1

Came out to the kids

My gay ex came out to my daughter yesterday.  And instead of having a serious talk with her about it I feel like he treated like a joke or a game. 
Him and his boyfriend went to a wedding and the boyfriend caught the bouquet.  My daughter commented that he would be getting married.  To which the boyfriend replied, "I am sure am!  Can you guess to who?"  My daughter guessed a few women the two hand out with.  Then my gay ex said, "Do you want a hint?  I sleep with him!" 
She found this revelation to be disturbing, as evidenced by her ability to recall word for word how the conversation went. 
I feel disgusted that this is how he decided to break the news to his children, my son was there too but he already had his suspicions.  She is only 8 and always assumed they were good friends and I worked hard to never say otherwise even though it killed me to see her idolize her father and his boyfriend.

June 20, 2016 1:15 pm  #2

Re: Came out to the kids

I'm sorry but its not normal...who it their right mind would say that to an 8 year old.    I would tell your ex what he said to her and that its inappropriate.     Not that he will care.       Our gay spouses/ex-spouses hurt and confound us everyday.   And then they want to know why we dislike gay people.  

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

June 20, 2016 6:12 pm  #3

I think it's important to judge people on their actions and not their orientation. That being said, I agree with the conversation above being totally inappropriate to have with a child.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

June 21, 2016 6:58 am  #4

If she has a counselor make sure her counselor knows what happened.  That way she or he can help her process it and it will be documented as an example of poor parental judgment by her father.

Board footera