OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2019 12:13 pm  #11

Re: Nothing makes sense, the logic doesn't add up.

Dandelion, that was so beautiful and evocative.  Thanks for posting it.

Lonelyheartsclub, I have never understood why people select holidays to deliver devastating news.  Truly, it's a mystery to me.  It becomes forever connected with that holiday.  It seems so cruel and calculating.

January 16, 2019 12:43 pm  #12

All of their actions make sense if you remember what their single largest character flaw is:   Selfishness!

Remember that these people are supremely selfish.  They are happy to use each of us, their spouses to hide their true selves and create a life they wish the world to see.  They will then be able to indulge in secret in what they truly desire.  They have been lying to themselves and dishonest with us, so why would they not continue to lie to us directly?  Of course they are OK with cheating on us.  They only care about making themselves happy, we are simply a tool they use to reach their goal or to avoid the truth coming out. 

Throw out the logic that exists in your brain..  It doesn't exist for them.  Concepts like compassion and honesty and caring more about your spouse than yourself are null and void.  

If you want to understand their actions, pretend to be only selfish and forget about integrity and you will start to see why they lie to us and cheat on us. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

January 16, 2019 6:26 pm  #13

ThisSeason, I feel your pain.  I find myself asking myself the same question every day.  Everything is so up and down and all around confusing at all times.  I'm beginning to understand that this constant state of confusion will be my life moving forward as long as I stay in my marriage, yet I'm still not ready to walk away.  My husband also makes contradictory statements, and he certainly does not seem to have any real appreciation for how much he has turned my world upside down, although I know it does pain him to see my hurt.  He still seems exasperated every time he calls and I don't answer the phone cheerily enough or a new day begins and he sees that everything is not magically okay again, because "he has stated that he still wants to be with me" and apparently that should be enough for me.  He seems to feel I should be over it now and that it is time to move on.  There seems to be a perception that I am punishing him because I can't accept what he says to me as truth any longer, and he doesn't understand why this is now a challenge for me unless I "just don't love him anymore", which seems very unfair to me.  But as Phoenix points out, I think GID spouses are generally selfish people.  This doesn't mean that they don't have other wonderful qualities as well, just that they tend to think of themselves first, and certainly that their needs matter more than ours.  I think they have learned to compartmentalize everything in their lives that makes them uncomfortable, and they are certainly pros at turning away from anything that challenges them or makes them feel unsafe, which is why we have all found ourselves here.

Unlike you, I've found no evidence of cheating, but the fear is certainly there.  I continue to press for information and was last night told "if I've ever cheated on you I don't remember it" which wasn't very comforting to me to say the least.  I told him that was a very odd way of stating a denial.  He said "well, I've never woken up in a strange room, so probably the only thing that could have happened was maybe I got drunk and flirted with somebody at a bar, but certainly not more than that, and probably not even that."  Sigh.  I strongly feel like I just need truthful answers, to fill in the holes that have suddenly appeared in my life.  I don't even necessarily care what the truth is, I just want truth.

I'm having to readjust my sense of reality while also trying to imagine a new and different future than the one I thought was laid out before me. I think almost all of us here find that we have spouses that haven't really let us know who they really were, and we therefore feel that we have been living a lie as a result.  I'm not saying that everything in our lives is false, but for me, it is hard to know what is and what isn't real anymore.  I feel like I can no longer trust my husband, and I also feel I can no longer trust myself, because I honestly had no f*#&ing clue.

It is very hard to turn off the true feelings we have for our spouses, even when we are forced to realize that perhaps they haven't felt the same commitment and love for us that we felt for them.  I feel like every time I start to get my feet underneath me again and the fog starts to clear a bit that my husband is managing to convince me that I am wrong about what TGT means in our lives...I'll admit that I am still trying to figure it all out, but I can't exactly trust him anymore to help me make sense of everything, even if I desperately wish I could look to him for some answers.  So where do we go from here?

I guess none of that is very helpful, my apologies.  I just wanted to say I think I understand what you are saying.

Last edited by FML (January 16, 2019 6:35 pm)

January 16, 2019 8:37 pm  #14

FML wrote:

......he certainly does not seem to have any real appreciation for how much he has turned my world upside down, although I know it does pain him to see my hurt.  He still seems exasperated every time he calls and I don't answer the phone cheerily enough or a new day begins and he sees that everything is not magically okay again, because "he has stated that he still wants to be with me" and apparently that should be enough for me.  He seems to feel I should be over it now and that it is time to move on.  There seems to be a perception that I am punishing him because I can't accept what he says to me as truth any longer, and he doesn't understand why this is now a challenge for me........

These parts of your post stood out for me, especially He seems to feel I should be over it now and that it's time to move on

KIA KAHA                       

January 16, 2019 9:43 pm  #15

FML, I could of written your post, my story was the same. But there came a time for me when I disengaged with my GIDH, I had no more questions for him, I just knew, I knew in my heart, in my soul he was Gay, and I knew my marriage was over. He is now my GIDXH.....after 44 years of marriage and one year after I discovered TGT........it's no longer about him, it's only about me......I can breathe again......I am no longer suffocating ..........I am free and working on happiness.......I am OK

January 17, 2019 11:40 am  #16

Phoenix, you are definitely right about the selfishness.
I was talking to a friend recently and I mentioned that there is nothing that I could ever imagine happening that would cause me to cheat on my spouse, discard my marriage and children. If I "discovered" that I could only be sexually attracted to black women that were at least 7 feet tall, I would not begin making plans to destroy my family based on this discovery. I definitely wouldn't allow myself to cheat "to see if this was true" or to "prove it's not true." 

January 17, 2019 11:43 am  #17

FML, thank you so much for sharing. As Ellexoh pointed out, one of the things that stands out to me is how he feels it should be over and it's time to move on.

I personally have felt rushed to "get over things" and I think that is a very selfish, callous, and uncaring thing to say to someone who is dealing with something of this magnitude.

January 18, 2019 6:34 am  #18

Lonelyhc,

I am so sorry you are going through this. It seems that your journey has just started, so has mine, and a nightmare is a good way to describe the feeling of being trapped and not having a clue of when, or how, it will end ( I woke up at 4 am today and can’t go back to sleep)

I relate so much to your story, the number of years, the timeline, and specially the soulmates part. My STBE and I thought our love was cosmic, from another planet, so strong, best friends. I have never loved anybody like him, and I have definitely felt deeply loved, we have a 10/month old daughter product of that love.  He also told me very recently that he can not be intimate with me, and that he is gay. When he said it to me, he did not want to break up, he kept on saying that I complete him and I am his soulmate, that he is in love with me. I still think our love was cosmic, but like you, I want to be loved as a whole, I don’t need my life to be compartimentalized and be repressing my love and feelings to not show my sexuality around him. Our spouses become extremely good at compartimentalizing, and though it’s a good skill to have in other areas, you should be able to feel whole, love whole and be wanted as a whole. I think it is so hard to reconcile that deep love with the fact that he is gay, and all that being gay means and entitles, it is being extremely challenging and painful for me.

I have decided that to cuestion our love is pointless, it does not help me move forward, but accepting the ever changing nature of life will. In this case is like acepting that your marriage has been ripped off by a tornado, from one moment to the next, and it will never be back to what it was. That is some MASSIVE accepting to do on our part, so much it seems impossible. In fact it’s impossible at the beginning, specially if we Cant take it one small thing at a time, one breath, one day, one night. Seeing the bigger picture hurts because it is like staring to something really ugly and traumatic.

From an outside perspective I can see you are confused, but very strong and trusting your intuition, needs and feelings. I think it is remarkable that you already took action and he is out of the house, that is wise and very brave. Keep on trusting yourself, and seeing what can make you feel better, this moment, this day ( what can help you sleep better, stop crying, breath better, etcetera) one day at a time.
Realize how much power to decide you have, you are already using it, and though your mind is telling I wish he would apologize, your soul feels calmer not living with him, and you listened and took action.

The contradiction to me is that I don’t want this, I also want to wake up, but I don’t want what we had before either, it was not complete and I deserve better.

I started going to the Ssn group in my city, just one time, and I can already tell is going to help. Do you have one where you live? It was powerful to see people that went through it many years ago, made it and their lifes are good or even better now. Time and patience will be our allies. Try to keep on finding yourself in the middle of this blinding storm, you are not this, you are going through it but don’t let it define you. Be with your loved ones, talk lots about it if you need, and treat yourself as if you were a baby you deeply love (I am starting to eat the food I make for my daughter because I realized I was not eating much or well at all, but I was like a non stop great cafeteria for her!)

Long post just to tell you that you can do this, we are here to listen, and to take it one day at a time. I am practicing self love, trying to be more independent and reconnecting with myself again. Sending lots of good healing vibes your way.

Board footera