OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 23, 2016 11:25 am  #1

Still kicking me when I'm down

So the X and I have been NC for a bit now. But I still had stuff at his house (our old house) 5 hrs away. He had some mutual "friends" visit him and agreed to send my stuff back with them. I say "friends," bc they've always said they loved me and are "good Christians", he's even a preacher, however they've taken his side and completely enabled him (raised $5,000 to get back on his feet after rehab- which he didn't need), and now they're treating me disrepectfully. Just completely sided with him although they know how evil he is - unbelievable.

Anyways, I picked up my things from their house yesterday and it's just a bunch of junk. Didn't send the stuff I asked for. I am livid. For example, I left a really nice set of dishes bc I can't take them with the move - well, he sent back a couple of random, generic coffee mugs. Why send that??? If he wanted to get rid of reminders of me why not send the whole dish set back? Didn't send my back extension table, or my violin. Sent my bathroom rugs but not the matching shower curtain. Most of the stuff he sent I left purposefully bc I didn't need it, but he could use it. I was being nice. I also couldn't fit anymore stuff and I was trying to leave before he came back from his interviews bc he didn't want to see me.

It just seems like another childish way to hurt my feelings or get under my skin. Idk if I should contact him and tell him how shitty this was, or just let it fucking go. I am so mad, and hurt by his stupid actions. Uuugghhhhhh

August 23, 2016 12:35 pm  #2

Re: Still kicking me when I'm down

I think you gotta keep focus.  Don't bother contacting him to tell him how shitty this was - that's like telling him he scored.  Do you want the violin, table and dishes?  if you do then it will rankle, ask him again to return them to you.  Politely, along with a thank you for the lovely stuff you got and could he add in the missing shower curtain, thank you so much, you are such a sweetie.

I got the same box of stuff you don't want while I hang onto the stuff you do want too.  you are right, he is doing his best to hurt your feelings.

August 23, 2016 12:55 pm  #3

I too got the same box of crap missing the things I wanted.  My lawyer called it "The Last FU" and yes, it is a childish way to hurt your feelings.  Don't let him see that he has gotten under your skin when you remind him to send the things he "forgot". It maybe a way for him to prolong his control and contact in your life, if some of the items are things you can replace in time, let them go.  Its not worth the hassle and the continued contact.  

I am sorry about the "friends" too.  Most likely he has whined and has gotten their sympathy and blamed it all on you and/or he has been bad-mouthing you all along behind your back.  It is a common trait here and seems part of the "Playbook".  It hurts a lot, but continue moving forward and focus on the positives and those things you can control.  You really do find out who your loyal friends are through this process. 

"No matter how hard the journey may be, remember to be kind to yourself..."

August 23, 2016 1:12 pm  #4

Wow, I can't believe how similar these jerks are. It does seem all about control. Shouldn't be so shocking after all the other despicable things he's done, but at some point I think he'd have some decency. Wrong again.

The "friends" don't like me bc of the mean things I said to him after I found our stuff. Yeah, let's blame that all on me. Ha! It's the same as "I didn't do anything wrong, you did wrong by finding out." They way they see it is he's already so low, and such a victim, me telling him the truth about things is just too much for him to handle. Unbelievable.

August 23, 2016 2:04 pm  #5

Everyone is right ... this is a classic FU move on his part.  Don't rise to the bait.  The other items sound worth getting back, particularly the violin.  Is there any way you can go back for them yourself, possibly with the help of a friend?  Expecting him to return them is probably unrealistic.  You may well end up with a box of broken dishes and a very damaged violin.  Don't expect decency from him ever ... it only sets you up for more disappointment and anger.  As for the "friends" ... they are not your friends and thus what they think, do or say means absolutely nothing to you.  Repeat that as many times as needed.  Life is short so spend your time worrying about people and things that actually add value and joy to your life.

August 23, 2016 9:40 pm  #6

Selfrenewal,

Sadly the return of stuff even via "friends"  is a form of contact.

I would rather buy all new stuff than contact my gay ex.  Rather cut off my arms than talk to her.

..and I saw her this weekend.

If the violin or other stuff is valuable pursue it.  But it will cost you..the cost is hurt.  I usually decide very carefully what is worth contacting her on.  Most things are not worth it.  There is always costs with them to our peace.

Yes they have an infinite capacity to hurt..not sure if it's a straight turned gay thing but they seem all narcissists..  I do not care anymore..NO CONTACT.

Last edited by Rob (August 23, 2016 9:43 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 24, 2016 11:50 am  #7

It's definitely a narcissistic trait, and has nothing to do with TGT. He's the most selfish person I've ever met, to the point of evil. I was just too blind to see that for a while.

I'm going to wait a few days to make a decision. I know if I contact him now I'll blow up. That'll just make things worse. Rob, you're so right, the cost is me hurting, not him. I truly don't think he'd care if I died.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm going to give myself a few days and see how I feel.

August 28, 2016 3:14 pm  #8

So the people actually had my violin, I just didn't see it when I got my stuff. Just gonna say screw it to the rest of the stuff. Not worth it. He's not worth my breath or my pain anymore.

In better news, I've reconnected with my old friends where I grew up and I'm so thankful! I've gained a lot of strength from them, even just having lunch and hanging out. Finally starting to get on the ball with packing!! Yay!! Feels like my life may be starting to move on!

August 28, 2016 7:39 pm  #9

Selfrenewal,

Glad to hear..I take small things like finding  a lost item and having a good day with gratitude.  I thank God and pray and look forward to the next day. Always forward.

Sounds like you made the right decision about your stuff..it's only stuff.  I went out and brought several things that the ex took...not worth asking for them back..so not worth it..so not worth it on many levels.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 31, 2016 1:31 pm  #10

That's awesome, now you can go no contact and move forward! Double yay!

Board footera