OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 4, 2018 12:40 pm  #11

Re: Just Started the process. Confused. Please help

Hello Mimi
I am very sorry you find yourself here.  Before I confronted my GID Ex I took photos of everything I found.  Absolutely everything.  All the text messages I took photos and was very good proof because his phone had a crack on the screen which you could see on my photos and that was great to prove it was his phone i took pics and video even of everything on his computer to prove it was gis computer.  I took all the photos and videos before he had an inkling I found everything before he had a chance to delete it all.  Then I confronted him.  Best of luck and big ehugs!

December 4, 2018 1:00 pm  #12

This situation would put me in a quandary. If I'd already decided to leave and my partner was diagnosed with an illness...a bad one....I would have to take into consideration years ago when I was in hospital, 39kg at 27 yrs, losing weight but needing an operation. My partner came (walked! we had no car) to see me every day. And when I was ill he was always there for me. He was only 19 but looked  after my children too. That early concern for me, the care and responsibilities he took on..may make me see the situation differently. While our relationship has changed beyond all recognition....there is a part of me that could still, I think, put his health and well-being first, though it would be a very arms-length and sterile support. I am a mother, my first thought would be to nurture...or help with finding others who could

Such an personal and individual decision, with circumstances and boundaries that only you yourself will experience.

KIA KAHA                       

December 4, 2018 4:28 pm  #13

Mimi, the timing does suck, but it really doesn't change what happened or justify all the lies, etc. One thing has nothing to do with the other, and your offer to stay and once again make his needs a priority does not say "bitch" to me. 

As to the other part..... my spouse did the same thing. He blamed his cross dressing on me (even though he had done it for decades before we met and did it through our entire marriage). He said that I had "checked out" of the marriage years earlier and that's why he decided to come out as trans. It was just a way for him to justify his actions.

December 4, 2018 5:44 pm  #14

If you do not want to continue to be his wife I have a couple of thoughts which may sound cold and crass. If he is seriously ill his medical expenses could leave you in an even worse financial situation and you may want to consult an attorney now about what you can do to keep some money for you to live on.

Also if his illness is terminal would you be better to wait? I knew of a woman who wanted a divorce ASAP when she found out about her husband's mistress. When she learned that he had an inoperable brain tumor however she told her attorney to stop everything. He might have wanted to marry his mistress but she knew that it would take him longer to divorce her than he had left.

You don't have to be as spiteful as she was and can help him during his illness to the extent you want to but don't ignore your well-being because of him.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

December 18, 2018 1:01 am  #15

Update to my situation. After I confronted him about knowing about the gay hookup sites and many ads, he claims that he’s never been physically involved. He’ says it’s only curiosity. Tells me that it’s both of us contributing to where we are in our marriage. Had I been more affectionate he wouldn’t be “curious” about men. (Yup he said it).
Wants me to see couple’s therapy with him so we can “solve” our situation. I think he wants me to forget what I saw, and accept what he tells me as facts. Love bomb me with fake promises of a better marriage which can never happen. I can’t undo what I know. It’s only moving forward from this point. It’s not my fault where I am right now but it’s my responsibility to do something about it!

Last edited by Mimi (December 18, 2018 1:03 am)

December 18, 2018 8:40 am  #16

Mimi wrote:

Update to my situation. After I confronted him about knowing about the gay hookup sites and many ads, he claims that he’s never been physically involved. He’ says it’s only curiosity. Tells me that it’s both of us contributing to where we are in our marriage. Had I been more affectionate he wouldn’t be “curious” about men. (Yup he said it).
Wants me to see couple’s therapy with him so we can “solve” our situation. I think he wants me to forget what I saw, and accept what he tells me as facts. Love bomb me with fake promises of a better marriage which can never happen. I can’t undo what I know. It’s only moving forward from this point. It’s not my fault where I am right now but it’s my responsibility to do something about it!

This sounds so familiar. "It's just a curiosity" is my GIDH's mantra at this point. He does not ever blame me for his curiosity or shortcomings thankfully but he seems to think therapy will just bring us back to loving partners. 

You are so right when you say it's not your fault but it is your responsibility. That's exactly how I feel. My husband isn't sick but I still have moments of doubt and guilt that I'm abandoning him. He won't be truly alone because he has our children and I've even been stepping away from our mutual friends so he can keep them. I will miss them but I need my own life away from my husband.

December 18, 2018 10:57 am  #17

jkc1214[/quote wrote:

but I still have moments of doubt and guilt that I'm abandoning him. .

JKC
I wake up every morning with a combination of anger and sadness but at the same time doubt and guilt. It’s so not fair. Not only I have to deal with the fact that the life I had planned is changing midway, because of something that wasn’t my fault, I have to also deal with the guilt he gives me everyday for even mentioning about separation. He brings the whole issue down to the level of “curiosity”. So to make me feel crazy for leaving my husband because he was only curious about something. I know he’s not a bad person and he’s very sad about hurting my feelings. I know that he wants nothing more for me to stay so things continue as they are. He loves me. But our love or the love I thought we had towards each other was aparantly not the same category. I’ve only seen hookup sites and ads. But I don’t want to wait another 5-10 years until he actually falls in love with someone else and leaves me.

Last edited by Mimi (February 26, 2019 4:02 pm)

Board footera