OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 19, 2018 5:53 pm  #1

Working without a net . . .

So this is my first post after lurking only a few days.  Eighteen years ago I discovered photos of my husband and another man which he explained away as a "phase" he was going through - would not happen again, etc.  Fast forward to us moving from up north back to the south where we grew up. We had always wanted to live in Florida so here we are - hubby retired at 64 and didn't waste a minute hooking up with other men . . . so many I'm not sure he knows.  Meets them on websites, Craig's list, the nude beach just south of where we live.  I suspected off and on for several years but have had a difficult time keeping a job (age) and have been in denial.  Finally, it became so apparent I asked him - I had evidence . . . mostly texts but later e-mails - so many partners I'm not sure he knows how many.  He never denied a thing. (Yes, I've been tested for every STD that can be tested for)   I could get into his old gay man website but I finally figured I had enough and didn't want/need to know anymore details.  We are in couples therapy and I have my own therapist.  He has the nerve to sit in couples therapy and say he loves more more than anything else in the world and just can't imagine his life without me.  He also says he would tell me he would stop what he is doing but it would just be "another lie to add to the rest."  He won't talk much about our situation - he has always been a closed-mouth husband no matter what.  He did tell me last night in therapy that I don't understand how sex between men is so different from sex with women (in our case, me since I have never had sex with anyone else - 45 years).  He said it's just not the same - it's rough, brutal and non-emotional.  Says he rarely sees the same guy twice (which is another lie as I have proof).  He says I should understand that this is just the way he is and accept him as he is.  I have told him I can not and have moved out of our room and into the other side of our house to the guest room.  He is very upset about this and complains that I am not helping us to stay together.  I have told him we are at an impasse and I have not interest in staying with him if he can't stop his activities with other men.   I don't think he can so there is really not a lot more to say and I just need to get my"stuff" together and make my way on my own.  Has anyone else every had this ploy of "men on men sex is different so get over it?"  I'm actually doing pretty well but just need to make the big break . . . . thanks to all for being here . . . Hugs, SpacedOut

Last edited by SpacedOut (October 19, 2018 5:55 pm)

October 19, 2018 7:35 pm  #2

Re: Working without a net . . .

"It's just sex" is something others here have heard from their spouse or ex. And that is supposed to make it OK? He's risking his health and safety and also yours. You're not helping save the marriage? What's he doing to help it? Mind boggling stuff! He's admitted he's a liar and refusing to change but at least you know where you stand. You should probably quietly make your plans. Good luck with everything.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

October 20, 2018 7:54 am  #3

Thanks for your answer Daryl.  I'll probably be here frequently.  Good news is the guest room in our house is right by the door to the outside world.

October 20, 2018 8:26 am  #4

Jeez i am SO sorry.  One positive note for you is at least he has admitted he doesn't intend to change, to me that makes it Crystal clear where things would stand.

I am trying to understand my own husband he only gives me glimpses of the situation and denies anything physical ever happening but im sorry bucko, I dont believe that and i don't care. Whether he screwed 100 men, or 0 men the intention was there. I don't need or want to see the emails. He says he has stopped but how will I will ever really know.

Whether you accept him or not is not up to him. That's your own choice and he has been making choices all along your marriage that don't include you so it's unfair for him to put this back on you. We all deserve better, honesty and commitment.

I'm choosing to work on myself as I go through this and try my hardest to show love and forgiveness. Even if that means I leave, i am 7 months pregnant with 3 other small children involved so i am taking my time through this. There is no rush for me, because even if i leave, I have 0 interest in ever being with another person again. Every single serious relationship has done something like this to me, not necessarily gay sex but cheating and I am not interested in enduring that kind of pain anymore in my life when i can fill it with happiness in other ways.

Anyways, you're not alone. ❤

October 20, 2018 10:02 am  #5

Thank you, Hopeful10.  I'm fortunate that our children are grown & gone.  There is the distasteful job of telling our sons.  He wanted to tell them when they were both here this summer.  The oldest one actually knows as he saw his Dad and a guy he knew was gay (an artist in the city where we lived) 20 years ago and he actually tried to tell me.  Now our therapist is telling us we should not tell them.  We don't agree with that.

I have to say I felt a bit better after I registered and posted above.  I'll be around for a while.  Thanks again.

October 20, 2018 12:29 pm  #6

I don't think it's a good idea NOT to tell your kids what's going on, as long as it's age appropriate. Since yours are adults, I'd say go ahead.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

October 20, 2018 1:29 pm  #7

Hopeful,
   When you said this:
he has been making choices all along your marriage that don't include you so it's unfair for him to put this back on you. 
   you said it all.   Once they come out to us, they ought to do the ethical thing and follow through with a divorce.  But all too often, they've spent so much time in the closet or denying their sexuality, that they don't/won't/can't. 

October 20, 2018 4:03 pm  #8

Spaced,

I’m glad to hear that you are doing well.  Glad that you posted, and plan on sticking around.  Great place to vent while you go through this.  Sorry you are, but you sound strong.  The hardest thing to do, is learning to put yourself first (like he’s been doing all these years )  Learning how to make decisions for your future, etc.  okay so he can’t imagine his life without you, but can you imagine staying.  Or are you starting to think about a new life without him.  What do you want? (Besides for this all to be a bad dream).  My answer to your question, he’s full of bullshit.  Sorry that’s all I can think of saying.  Blessings honey, glad you posted.   There’s plenty of threads and stories on here for you to read.  As you do, you might start seeing a lot of stuff that echos your own life.  Welcome and hugs

October 20, 2018 4:26 pm  #9

OutofHisCloset:  he thinks he can keep me and his lifestyle too.  We have been through some crappy things together including our youngest son getting hit and almost killed by a drunk driver when he was 19.  He is OK but man what a nightmare.  Husband's dad was killed by a drunk driver when he was 9 years old.  Raised w/o his dad. Other things I don't want to make my posts too long - just a lot of stuff we have weathered together.  Really sad but they are just memories now. So his coming out is not the hardest thing I have faced.  4everdamaged:  Yes, I'm seriously thinking of a life w/o him.  I *think* I'll be OK alone.  I certainly won't be living the style I'm accustomed to but then neither will he when I take half of everything. I hate, hate,hate the idea of Florida's "No Fault" divorce.  We will have to go to court if we don't do "No Fault"  and I don't think he will want to do court, but I can't stand saying it was equally both of our faults.  I know I need to get over this and just see a lawyer. 

I don't have any family (Mom, Dad, brother/sisters) left living but I do have lots of friends every place we have lived and some nieces and nephews who are not that much younger than me.  

October 21, 2018 10:58 am  #10

Spacedout,
I am so sorry you are going through this. I dont reply to posts very often but yours actually physically upset me so I have to. I have so many curse words for this person in your life. He is being a manipulative snake. It seems you know this and good for you for moving into another room. As for the men just have different sex excuse...wtf! No shit its different, we arent idiots. But sorry, thats not an excuse. There is no excuse for what he has done. He lied, you were lead into this blindly then hit with a unexpected bomb! Now you have to "understand"? I dont think so. How about he understands what he has done, be humble and sorry and try to change? But these men just want us to accept this and allow it usually. These men use all kinds of excuses...its different, it releases stress, they were abused, its who I am ect. Well, bottom line is now you have also been abused and traumatized. You need to take care of you. If your line is drawn at no sex with other men and he is already openly saying he wont stop, then run run run!

Get in touch with a good lawyer.
Good luck to you. Take care of yourself.

Board footera