OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 9, 2018 11:14 pm  #21

Re: Bi husband wants our marriage to work

Brian'sGirl wrote:

It has taken a lot of time and study to get to that point because of my strict, Christian upbringing. And i am so glad for this Forum, for those of you whom have paved the way for those of us that are new here. And yes, at 56 yrs. old I do need to work on myself. If I cannot be secure in who I am, I will never be secure in our marriage with all of these changes. I have not confided to anyone in my large family of siblings, friends, or church family, so it is great to be able to open up without fear of recrimination. Thank you all for understanding!

After reading your post in the Our Stories section I see for someone with a faith & spirituality as strong as yours...this journey for you is so unlike mine that I feel that I would have no base of reference to be giving you advice. When I told a dear friend what I was going through she saw it through the eyes of her own beliefs and spiritual warmth so I know how hard it must be to have advice given from people who don't have strong religious belief. I hope I didn't offend you

KIA KAHA                       

August 12, 2018 5:50 am  #22

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

Brian'sGirl wrote:

It has taken a lot of time and study to get to that point because of my strict, Christian upbringing. And i am so glad for this Forum, for those of you whom have paved the way for those of us that are new here. And yes, at 56 yrs. old I do need to work on myself. If I cannot be secure in who I am, I will never be secure in our marriage with all of these changes. I have not confided to anyone in my large family of siblings, friends, or church family, so it is great to be able to open up without fear of recrimination. Thank you all for understanding!

After reading your post in the Our Stories section I see for someone with a faith & spirituality as strong as yours...this journey for you is so unlike mine that I feel that I would have no base of reference to be giving you advice. When I told a dear friend what I was going through she saw it through the eyes of her own beliefs and spiritual warmth so I know how hard it must be to have advice given from people who don't have strong religious belief. I hope I didn't offend you

Not at all! Everything I have rerad here is in some way helpful.  When I told my husband about this group I had found, He was so happy for me. I didn't even know anything like this existed, but since we are limiting whom we share with in our prievate lives right now, I took a shot in the dark hoping to find something, and here you all are. It is great to know I am not the only one going through this and hearing the stories of how others are coping is very encouraging, hoping I can do the same for others.

August 12, 2018 5:57 am  #23

So my husband has been away since Thursday to a "GBQT Retreat" with the Men's Group he is a part of. It is  a national group open to all sexual orientation with the purpose of bein better men, fathers, community leaders, etc. This is his first event involving "GBQT." He has called or texted every day to check in and see how I am doing and fill me in on the days activities. He was sharing about the workshops he attended and what a great help they were to him. Does anyine know of any such Retreat or Conferences for "Straight Sposes?" I am wondering if something like that would be helpful.

August 12, 2018 7:04 am  #24

Brian's Girl, thank you for sharing your story.  This is a journey that's made much easier with the help and support of others going through the same thing.  There are many couples out there making their MOMs work, and even though every marriage is different we can all relate to each other.
If you haven't yet, do check out the link posted earlier by YAZ to the Alternate Paths website.  There you will find many support links including other message boards (on Yahoo, Facebook, and listservs)  for people in MOMs.  Several of these groups do have face to face meetings during the year (I am assuming you are in the US).  Some are just the straight spouses, some just the gay husbands, and some are for the couples together.  It can be an incredible comfort to meet other people in the same boat.  And depending on where you live there are often impromptu gatherings and friends being made.

August 12, 2018 6:11 pm  #25

DoingMyBest wrote:

Brian's Girl, thank you for sharing your story.  This is a journey that's made much easier with the help and support of others going through the same thing.  There are many couples out there making their MOMs work, and even though every marriage is different we can all relate to each other.
If you haven't yet, do check out the link posted earlier by YAZ to the Alternate Paths website.  There you will find many support links including other message boards (on Yahoo, Facebook, and listservs)  for people in MOMs.  Several of these groups do have face to face meetings during the year (I am assuming you are in the US).  Some are just the straight spouses, some just the gay husbands, and some are for the couples together.  It can be an incredible comfort to meet other people in the same boat.  And depending on where you live there are often impromptu gatherings and friends being made.

Thanks so much, I plan on looking that up.

Board footera