OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 12, 2018 3:25 am  #1

Why am I always attracting gay men

Honestly today I feel crushed, shocked and very sassed.. I ended a relationship sometime ago because my ex was and then I met a guy ( who I thought was amazing ) to only found out that he is gay.. I’m literally going crazy right now .. I’m beyond angry and I feel used .. this is going to make me distrust men in general argh.. I feel like my time has been wasted and I’m in so much pain .. I’m thinking what is wrong with me that I keep on attracting gay men .. I also dated a guy years ago that ended up being gay .. now I’m going to be paranoid about thinking that the man that approaches me is gay...  I mean do our have any idea

June 12, 2018 11:03 am  #2

Re: Why am I always attracting gay men

Honey, there are two basic reasons.  One is you are a nice person - you will give him the time of day.  The other is mathematics - there's just an awful lot of them.

Chances are it isn't going to make you distrust men in general.  But it is scary knowing how vulnerable you are and what you are gaining is experience.  One thing I read was that we immediately trust someone with a nice tone of voice - that's just the way we're built.  So the way I see it is feelings come from the shallows (watching a movie can make you cry) and the deeps (gut response) and the trust I feel at the nice tone of voice is all very well but what is my gut saying.  And even if it seems trivial, anything bothers you then walk away.  My ex came up behind me.  I was cleaning up in the kitchen and he was visiting and he came in and asked if he could help me.  Nice words nice tone of voice, I turned round and thought don't like the drip on the end of his nose.  I discounted that as me being petty, but now I see it as my gut response, no I don't like him, and I should have walked away.

wishing you all the best, we know how much it hurts here, awful isn't it.  Look after yourself, it will get better.  There's nothing wrong with you.

June 12, 2018 12:04 pm  #3

Yes its happened to me as well (apart from my husband that is). I just used to think I liked guys that seemed safe options. 
Lily, yes I know what you mean by trust your gut. I used to sometimes get this feeling with my husband that made me feel uncomfortable like he was weird. He had so many annoying habits that other folk dont have-used to drive me nuts. Wish I'd paid more attention now.
I think I'll make a big list of-"things that he did that annoyed me" and keep it handy!

June 12, 2018 1:31 pm  #4

yes, I remember thinking he felt safe and liking that too.  I used to think that was a bad choice of mine but now I am thinking that would be a sensible judgement to be making of a potential partner - could it get violent.  

A heterosexual relationship can be more volatile because there's real passion involved and I really don't think I was trying to duck that - It wasn't safe v exciting I was assessing, it was is this safe v dangerous.

Yet again it was the gay-in-denial who was actually doing the ducking and somehow making me feel it was my fault.

Last edited by lily (June 12, 2018 1:39 pm)

June 12, 2018 5:20 pm  #5

I like to think of it as we're just so damn hot that we are attractive to any and all orientations

June 13, 2018 8:36 am  #6

I ask myself the same question. My husband is my 3 rd gay relationship. Im still searching for an answer.

An article in Psychology Today on July 6, 2012 “ Why straight women are attracked to gay men”, may be helpful.

Lana

June 13, 2018 9:30 am  #7

I have this theory......

They like strong women. I've had several gay friends in my life who would call me their friend.  They were drawn to me from the get-go; the very first time meeting them.  Even if they weren't drawn to me as more than a friend, they would know within minutes of meeting me they'd want to be friends.  They've told me it's because I'm "real", as well as open, accepting, kind, sarcastic, and enjoy laughing and having fun. These things are all necessary for a gay man to feel accepted. So they're automatically drawn to those with open, accepting, fun personalities. The funny thing is, it seemed for a long time (at least for me) that those qualities were what made straight men only want to be my friend (vs. romatical interest).  They thought I was cool - had the best qualities of both a man and a woman (will tell it like it is, but also be nuturing).  I'm not sure why, but these traits repelled straight men for decades (as more than friends - male friends I have by the fistful).  I think they want someone that is more traditionally submissive and feminine.  As they age and get closer to 40, a ton of straight men find stronger women attracive, too.  They want substance and fortitude. Who doesn't?

In essence, it's because we have awesome personalities. 

Kel

Last edited by Kel (June 13, 2018 9:33 am)

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

June 13, 2018 10:08 am  #8

This isn't the first time this topic has come up on this forum.  It's an interesting one. 

I don't know how to state an opinion without stereotyping, so I hope this doesn't come across offensive in anyway. 
I wonder if gay men are typically a bit more feminine than straight men?  Certainly there are numerous exceptions to this, but I think the stereotype of a gay man tends to me more feminine.  Following this line of stereotyping they are often more passive, submissive, etc..  It stands to reason that a man who's more passive and submissive and emotionally open would desire a partner with the opposite (notice I didn't say better or stronger) traits.  So a gay man could possibly desire a stronger, more assertive, more confident woman.  This would probably be even more likely if the gay man was hiding their true identity, causing them to be more timid, less assertive, etc.. 

Wonder if the same theory might apply for closeted lesbian woman?  Maybe they seek more emotionally open, compassionate, kind-hearted men vs. the stereotypical alpha male (cowboy type).   This would fit with my ex seeking me out. She always complimented me on how I was manly in my interests and activities being protective and a strong leader, but i was still emotionally open and in touch, very empathetic and caring.  (If you've ever seen City Slickers, I'm more Billy Crystal than Jack Palance). 

One other theory I have..   What if a closeted gay or lesbian is most likely to pick a partner who would be most accepting of them?  Perhaps our common attribute is that we are all very caring and compassionate people who display the likelyhood of putting our partner first before ourselves?   In theory a person who is not sure of their sexuality or trying to hide it would want a partner who would be very very committed, very unlikely to leave them even if unhappy, and very compassionate toward their struggle if the secret ever got out?   Chew on that for a while.... 

Anyways..  hope nobody is offended by delving into stereotypes, but I think for this very interesting conversation it is necessary. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

Board footera