OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 24, 2018 2:28 pm  #41

Re: Needing some support please.

Thanks. I can just picture your wee dog. Mine is now sleeping in the bedroom with me at night which is lovely. I told my hairdresser of all people yesterday and she was fab- She said the same- its not my fault. 

April 25, 2018 11:06 am  #42

Kel wrote:

gonzo,

My mother supposedly said (to my ex's mother) that maybe I "caused" my ex to "turn" gay.  "Because of the type of woman that I am."  What the actual f*ck? My mom denies saying such a thing to my ex MIL, but either my mom did say it (which is likely), or it was my ex MIL's way of saying it while accusing someone else of it.  Either way, it was bunk.

Please, my head just exploded.

If there's one thing I've learned from reading here, it's that we're all very quick to buy into a narrative.  For a long time, gay people had to live a closeted life -- and I'm sure there are places where that's still the case.  I won't pass judgment on anyone who lives in Russia being in the closet, knowing they'd be jailed or lynched if they were found out.  But, I know a lot of openly gay men and women who had to do the difficult thing and tell their parents, and their churches, and their bosses.  Maybe it was difficult but it was the right thing to do.  Maybe traditionally gays were victims ... but that's not an excuse for gay people to victimize other people in 2018.  

Last edited by walkbymyself (April 25, 2018 11:07 am)

April 25, 2018 4:41 pm  #43

I am hoping that younger generations of LGBTs will not feel compelled to do to their hetero peers what was done to us.  They will not have the excuse of having the threat of jail or lynching.  It will be interesting to see how honest they will be, when offered that option.

April 26, 2018 2:04 pm  #44

I'm in the same exact boat Greyhound.  My husband moved out a month ago.  I'm going through the exact same feelings as you are.  I don't have any answers either.  How do we start over??  Is it even possible when we're this emotionally screwed up?   Sometimes I get soooo angry and can't sleep I'll text him all night long or call screaming at his voicemail.  Sounds ridiculous but it feels good at the time.  I'm looking forward to the day I can get a dog.  I'm not sure I'm ready to be a single dog mom yet as I can barely take care of myself but I sure do need a rescue to love.  If I find any ideas on how to meet new people I'll certainly share them with you.  Right now I'm thankful that I found this website it just may be saving me.

WTF

April 27, 2018 2:58 pm  #45

Thanks. I feel so lost today. He was round again yesterday collecting more stuff and it has set me back I think.
I lost my temper a bit when he talked about meeting 2 friends for dinner. I pointed out that between working all the hours and trying to care for our old dog (who now has separation anxiety) I couldn’t do that. I was resentful that I’d been left like this.
2 questions for you all-
I feel like I want to ask him to stay away. I can’t cope with visits. Is this fair?
Also, how many of you feel you have lost friends and relatives through your break up?
People/in laws I have know for nearly 30 years have disappeared without a word. That hurts.

April 27, 2018 3:56 pm  #46

Greyhound Gal,

I would stay with no contact if you can.
You do not owe him anything.
Dedicate this time to yourself and your recovery. He will be no help in it, but a constant reminder.

In-laws will always side with their kids. No matter what they did. So your relationship will get colder.
If it comes to friends, those who care for you, will be your big supporters, especially knowing what he has done to you.
It was double betrayal on his side: lies about important part of his sexuality that affected your marriage( those constant lies) and infidelity.
I have to keep reminding myself about this too. Normally, I would not forgive this to my best friend. You don't have to hate him, you just letting him go with all bad memories, pain and negativity that crumbled around you.
I wish I could do that, but I have small kids. However, I do not let him to put me in a bad mood anymore. I take my life into my hands and even if I have to see him, I feel so distant with him. No desires for more friendship.
E-Hugs

Last edited by Lena (April 27, 2018 4:01 pm)

April 27, 2018 4:18 pm  #47

gonzo2000 wrote:

I am hoping that younger generations of LGBTs will not feel compelled to do to their hetero peers what was done to us.  They will not have the excuse of having the threat of jail or lynching.  It will be interesting to see how honest they will be, when offered that option.

I hope so, too. My kids are in a group of 5 teens that are very tight. They joke that one of them is the token straight person. They others openly say they are bi, gay, asexual, or whatever, and all these kids come from very conservative Christian families. It gives me hope that there will at least be fewer lives and families torn apart because of these secrets.

Stay Strong

April 27, 2018 4:24 pm  #48

greyhound gal wrote:

Thanks. I feel so lost today. He was round again yesterday collecting more stuff and it has set me back I think.
I lost my temper a bit when he talked about meeting 2 friends for dinner. I pointed out that between working all the hours and trying to care for our old dog (who now has separation anxiety) I couldn’t do that. I was resentful that I’d been left like this.
2 questions for you all-
I feel like I want to ask him to stay away. I can’t cope with visits. Is this fair?
Also, how many of you feel you have lost friends and relatives through your break up?
People/in laws I have know for nearly 30 years have disappeared without a word. That hurts.

It is absolutely fair. If he has things he needs to pick up, arrange a time and leave the house - unless you are not comfortable having him there by himself.

And yes. I haven't heard from his family which doesn't surprise me, but it does hurt a little. I really love my in-laws. They kind of took me in after my own parents passed away. I also didn't hear anything from people we had gone to church with for over 10 years. Not 1 person reached out to me to see how I was doing or even to ask if what they were hearing was true.

Other people, though, have been wonderfully supportive.

But yes.... it is fair. Do what is best for you.

Stay Strong

April 28, 2018 6:20 am  #49

You owe him nothing, no contact, nothing. I made sure I wasn’t anywhere around when he came slinking back to collect more stuff, because I had discovered the hard way that any contact would take me days to recover from.  Even though I set boundaries in the beginning, he walked all over them, which of course looking back should have been no surprise to me, but at the time was shocking to me. I also hadn’t heard from his family, and that also hurt, I had known these people for over 30 years, his parents had been dead for years, but he has siblings . Then something really horrific beyond TGT happened and he was arrested, , and his arrest got a TON of media attention  and they saw his true colors. All of a sudden they both reached out to me and apologized for their treatment of me, and they cut him loose.
Good luck.

April 28, 2018 12:45 pm  #50

Giving you all a massive virtual hug just now!
Lots of friends and family know we have split up but hardly anyone knows that its because he is gay. He hasn't even told his mother! I have started telling people when they ask because I am sick of the dishonesty and also it stops people asking if there's any chance of a reconciliation, lol.  He will not like it but I dont feel like I can move on otherwise.
Do you know I look forward to the day when no-one has to go through what we are going through. Surely it has to be soon?

Board footera