OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 16, 2016 9:13 pm  #11

Re: Sadly, just now trying to put my life together

SW, that is a good idea. When we were first diagnosed in 2012 I went to a couple, but there were no spouses who contracted it from their GID partner (only drug addicts and gay men). Also we live in a fairly rural state  so there aren't that many support groups. But, in a couple of weeks when I move to a big city I'm sure they'll be plenty of opportunities, and I'll keep your suggestion in mind! Thanks!

Last edited by selfrenewal (August 16, 2016 9:15 pm)

August 16, 2016 9:45 pm  #12

I'm glad you're moving away. 

Do you know anyone in your new city that you can hang out with?  I admire people who can pick up and move to a different city.  I was always too afraid to try. 

August 17, 2016 1:38 am  #13

Dear SR,

I am so sad to hear your story. Despite what your experience, you are an amazingly positive person who loved someone deeply to the point of sacrificing yourself. Many of us understand that when we made sacrifices in marriage without realizing just how much we sacrificed in an inauthentic relationship. None of us could have imagined all the lies - not from someone we trusted and loved.

Yes, you have symptoms, like so many of us, of relational PTSD. You have been emotionally traumatized for sure and been remained vulnerable to someone who repeatedly victimized you. You are young! You have your future ahead of you! Be strong. Seek help from a caring counselor who genuinely cares about your personal experience without sympathiy towards someone who would knowingly expose you to HIV. I'm so glad you health still looks favorable.

August 18, 2016 6:09 pm  #14

I am so glad I'm moving too!! It's exciting and something hopeful to look forward to. People have said moving away won't help, but I definitely feel I need a fresh start. No, I don't know anyone there, but that's great too! I can create my own new story and have an easy time making friends. Plus, my new city has way more career opportunities so it's more beneficial than just "running away from my problems." It's very scary, but there's never going to be a better time for me to make such a drastic change and I'm embracing that opportunity. If I fail, I'll never regret that I tried!

Board footera