OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 26, 2018 5:19 pm  #1

Looking for Help! Pattern of Closet Gay Boyfriends and Friends

Hi! Looking for help! I have had many relationships with gay men who I thought knew they were gay but then they try to take the relationship further and are stunned I don't want to be intimate with them and only see them as a friend and ones that I end up dating (well this was one person) who then sort of admitted he wasn't into men now in life but might be later in life when I asked him if he was into men. How do I stop this??? What is happening??? I do tend to get lonely so maybe that's part of it? I am a straight female and have had straight relationships (fallen in love) but have realized a pattern of when I'm not in a relationship I befriend gay men who truth be told arent publicly gay though I believe they know they are gay (not out yet though I am very intuitive and there is a pattern of these men all telling me about gay men being attracted to them and them having issues finding women who will have sex with them). Do I stop talking to these men? It's as though I am giving them a female to talk to when other females arent interested in talking to them. I desperately want this to stop but dont know what to do! Help! Thank you!

February 26, 2018 7:05 pm  #2

Re: Looking for Help! Pattern of Closet Gay Boyfriends and Friends

hi blah,

at first I am scratching my head, what is the problem, then I realise you are feeling devalued by the interchange?  you think they want to be friends but actually they don't.  They are gay in denial men looking for a woman who will not see they are gay - I didn't know my ex was gay and really that was my attraction for him.

talk with them as much as you like, just don't expect much of a friendship to form.

ah, I just reread your post - yes I remember back as a teenager I'd have first one and then another type of boyfriend alternatively, and I was puzzled and wondering what the differences were and looking back now i can see one was a sexual attraction - straight and the second was more a nice friendly feeling.  So I'm going to hazard a guess that they were the gay in denials - maybe they come round to try their luck on the back of a breakup in your vulnerable state.  and maybe you are looking for a bit of safe male companionship while you get over whatever happened with the last boyfriend.

Last edited by lily (February 26, 2018 7:23 pm)

February 26, 2018 7:07 pm  #3

Re: Looking for Help! Pattern of Closet Gay Boyfriends and Friends

You sound like you are hanging with a bunch of young 'Gays in denial' . 
Sean is really the one to ask this question and can explain it more. I suggest you copy and paste your post over to 'Is he/she gay...A gay ex-husband answers your questions.' forum. 
I truly feel for you. I'm starting to wonder if thats all I attract or maybe every man I meet is a closet case.
:-/  SMH

Life is like phases of the moon.... We really only see it when it's beautiful, full and in our face. 

Board footera