OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 21, 2018 11:31 am  #11

Re: In need of support

Can you change the locks and/or add a deadbolt so that he cannot just walk into the house? Can't he see the children at his place? He will keep walking all over you and ignoring boundaries for as long as he is able to do so - divorce or no divorce. 

Given his religious mindset I suspect he will continue to claim that you and he are married in the eyes of God and that the divorce decree is a piece of paper that means nothing. The less he is able to "lecture" you the better. I hope as the children grow they are able to see how much to did to try to spare them from knowing how bad things were.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

February 21, 2018 11:45 am  #12

Re: In need of support

pa, it sounds like you are in a better place today.  I'm glad to see it.  It seems like you have firmed up your resolve and you know it's the right decision to go through with the divorce.  I know how hard it is to make a tough decision and worry about 2nd thoughts, but I think you've conquered this now.   6 more days.

The day of your divorce is a great day to re-define boundaries.  Think about what boundaries you desire and make a list.  You can give him that list after court by email.   I think a good first step is changing the locks and letting him know that he is not welcome in your house unless invited in by you (not by the kids).  If he enters without permission that is a crime and you will call the police.  Show him you aren't messing around.  At this point he is no longer your husband and has zero control over you.. let him know this.  What other boundaries do you want to set?  Rules for visitation or kid exchange?  Rules for him paying alimony/child support?  Boundaries for communication (will you let him call you anytime?  Or should he text first or email if he has something he needs to discuss?  Think of him as a stranger one week from today.  Set your boundaries and enforce them the day of the divorce because it will be much harder to enforce later. 

Good luck my friend!  You've got this!

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

Board footera