OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 17, 2018 9:02 am  #1

I Went on A Date

Okay...so it isn't what you think, not by a long shot.  I always have people with me...my kids, their friends, my friends, my extended family...so, I am seldom alone.  The idea of solitude fills me with anxiety.  Even dropping my daughter off for her class on Monday night and heading to the gym, I'll exercise but I am always consumed with worry.  Stupid thoughts, they race through my mind.  I've been in therapy and it has been helping me in this battle.

I think the secret is to look at the worry as a negative force that is trying to rob me of my quality of life.  I aim to do, go and enjoy anyway.

Yesterday, I decided I was going to seize the day....all by myself.  I went to the gym and even stopped for lunch.  "Table for one," I said proudly.

I learned that I am rather good company.  There is no complaining about the music I'm listening to in the car, I can order what I want, read uninterrupted and just simply chill.  I did not carry anyone else's problems, was not expected to "save the day" last minute by running homework to school.  In fact, I turned off my phone.  It was quite empowering.

Honestly, I think everyone here will be okay.  Trust yourself first....baby steps, build confidence and take each challenge as an opportunity to grow.

I'm thinking about what I should plan for my next jaunt.  Return to school?  Find a new career?  Learn to sail?

TGT is just crumbs in the scheme of life's cake and you know what?   I'm ready for a very large piece now minus the anxiety tainted frosting!

February 17, 2018 9:58 am  #2

Re: I Went on A Date

Good for you! That’s an excellent first step, and each step will give you more and more confidence in yourself. The first thing I did post TGT was take a vacation all by myself, and like you, I discovered I’m pretty good company too, and could do what I wanted, when I wanted. You’ll be more than fine

February 17, 2018 11:10 am  #3

Lunch for one sounds wonderful! It is a very empowering feeling, I’m so glad you enjoyed it :-)

February 17, 2018 11:28 am  #4

Yep..I learned I was pretty good company..I don't lie, cheat or steal on myself. 
My life is free of the artificial drama now...one can leave a cup on the table and guess what..no lives are lost and the world will not end.  Kids love my house.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

February 17, 2018 2:13 pm  #5

Awesome!
Same here.  I went to camp with a couple of friends and felt quilt free.  off for a hike and felt quilt free.  Took supper home and watched a movie.  Took the kids to the ski hill and had a great time!  I miss the beauty of a woman and the company of a woman, but I know in time if that is my desire then it may or may not work out.   Just take some time and slow down.  Leaving the phone at home here and there can be such a great thing.  This society says go go go.  Well.  Take some time and slow it down.   

Board footera