OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2018 5:29 pm  #11

Re: New to this. Some thoughts and questions...

1) Were you able to remain close/amicable with your spouse (assuming you separated/divorced)?

Be civil and take the high road and be amicable BUT don't be a doormat.  You have a future that is independent of her that you need to focus on.  Maybe you can be close at some point many years from now.  My opinion is that staying friends with your ex is a very bad idea at least until you get your head together. You need space and to heal and grieve the end of the relationship.  

If you stay friends you'll be stuck in the past/limbo and its better to go no contact. 

2) What and how did you tell your kids (our kids will be 7 and 4)?

I don't think they need to know why at this point.   But be truthful as you can.  

3) Were your kids okay and did they adjust okay to the separation/divorce?

They were hurt and are still adjusting but okay. 

4) When and how much did you tell your friends & family about WHY you separated?  I ask because my wife is very slowly coming out of the closet and still very much reluctant to share her secret with many of her friends & family.  

I think in any divorce its hard and friends tend to choose sides or ditch you altogether.  Also you maybe surprised how many are cheerleaders for your exes bravery in coming out and telling your what on earth is your problem with that.  

As for the last question - see response to #1.  This is why you can't be friends now because they aren't your friend ! All you will get is gaslighting comments like this. 

Finally,  this is a really tough situation.  BUT there will come a time when you are grateful to be out of the marriage and you will be much happier.  

Sorry that you are here but the grass is greener !  

Last edited by Laurence (January 20, 2018 5:33 pm)

January 20, 2018 9:01 pm  #12

Hi Nicholas,

Welcome, and sorry you had to join our little club.  I'm pretty new, too, and don't have as much advice to give, but I do feel very strongly about a couple of things.

First, I've posted before about this, but nobody has the right to impose secrecy on you.  It's your life, and you have to think about what's best for your kids and for you.  Whatever is best for her is maybe third on the list.  

Starting with your kids: I strongly agree that a good counselor should be able to help you understand how to break this to them, but please don't fall for the easy out of keeping this secret any longer.  For them, it's going to be so, so hard to feel as though their entire life was built on a lie, and the longer the lie goes on, the more it's going to disrupt when the truth comes out.  Your wife's embarrassment should not be the controlling factor.  Your kids' well-being and healthy relationship with BOTH parents needs to be the controlling factor.  They need to know BOTH parents are being honest with them.  

Second, I've posted this before, but when you have to keep a secret from all your friends and support network, it has the effect of isolating you.  There may be times when you just can't keep up a false happy mask, and the only way you can let the mask slip is by avoiding people.  Lying to your family is exhausting.  What's even worse is lying to her friends and family, and then ultimately finding out that they had already guessed and couldn't believe you hadn't figured it out for yourself.

This way lies madness.

I'm so sorry for what you're going through.  I haven't told my daughter, yet, although I think she has her suspicions and is trying to protect me (she's 22).

If it's any help, with young children it's best to start by explaining things to yourself.  Then take that explanation and try to find an age-appropriate way to explain it to a child.  At their age, the issue of gay versus straight may not be particularly shocking or difficult, but the issue of "my parents are going to break up" will be paramount.

January 20, 2018 10:36 pm  #13

Phoenix said: 
"You sound like every straight woman's dream husband.. own that! You were and are awesome and if you had been with a straight woman you would have made her so happy." (someone told me once how to correctly pull a quote from someone, but I can't remember now....)

Anyway, that is what I was thinking exactly when I read the original post. Own that! You are a great person that has a lot to offer, but were just with someone who couldn't be happy with you no matter how well you treated her.  

Take things one day at a time, see your therapist and you will get through this.  

January 21, 2018 6:38 am  #14

Nicholas,
  I second what Walkbymyself says about the isolating and warping effects of secrecy.  You're already a casualty of her fear of revealing and being who she knew herself to be.  Don't make yourself into her willing victim by letting her define the terms by which you are allowed to express your own reality.  As someone here said, once they disclose their sexuality, it becomes part of your story, and you have a right (and the need) to tell your own story.
  My husband disclosed to me his secret three years ago, and I kept it religiously for a year and a half (before I came onto this network and told a friend).  Not being able to share the most important aspect of what was going on in my life was sou crushing.  The isolation I felt added to the trauma.  jkpeace said, on another thread, that when we get hit with this news of theirs, we are effectively in shock.  When we are in shock we can't process what's happening well; shock explains why we are susceptible to our partners' idea that we need to keep their secret.  Also, we're probably also thinking, "This can't be true; I can't be losing this person," and we therefore don't want to alienate them, in hopes they will come to their senses and the whole sordid mess will disappear.  
  As Josie said: one day at a time.  As Phoenix said elsewhere: over time you will begin to see the progress you're making.
  This is a hard and soul-shaking blow, but you will get through it and find happiness.

January 21, 2018 9:11 am  #15

Thanks Josie and OutofHisCloset. 

A couple of thoughts in response to your advice/suggestions. Perhaps I do feel too much of a sense of duty/loyalty to my wife that I should cut back on.  I do worry about the implications of living in a small, conservative town where people love to gossip.  I don't want my soon to be ex to be bullied, shamed, etc. for her sexual orientation.  I'm fairly progressive politically and socially, so I think it's unacceptable to discriminate others based on race, religion, sex, etc. Despite the betrayal, she's still a good person worthy of respect and dignity. If people want to judge and criticize for her cheating on me and keeping this secret then that's a different story.  I would hope I don't have to shield my kids from ridicule at school, but that may be an obstacle down the road.  

I guess with the whole secrecy thing...It's not like she makes it a point to tell me I can't say anything.  She just would prefer we keep it quiet until she's ready to be fully out.  She's definitely becoming more and more comfortable with her choice and is slowly coming out.  I think she realizes that she won't be able to control the narrative when we officially separate.  I told her that I would be sharing my story with my good friends and family and then prospective gf's when the time is right.  I think it's ludicrous for her to expect me to go along with the idea that we were simply 'incompatible.'  She's still struggling with that point as she keeps reminding me "our relationship had major issues that started long before you knew I was a lesbian."  Sure, it did and you took little steps to change those issues because you couldn't and didn't want to reveal why. 

I'm going a bit off topic here, but just want to illustrate how ridiculous it is of her to say our communication problems were the crux of our issue.  On her birthday, I wrote her a very sweet note about how proud I am of her job as a mother and all she does to provide a great home for our family.  I assured her of how much I still admire her beauty and personality.  As soon as I turned my back on her, she dumped my card in the trash can.  Yet, she kept on display all the cards she received from female family members and gf's.  One was from this girl she had a crush on.  Mind you this girl never gave her the time of day and was seeing other guys.  This girl's card basically just said 'happy birthday.'  Yet, that was somehow more sentimental to her.  She stayed out past 2 am with one girl, 3 am with another (on a school night no less) and 5:15am in the morning with another female within a short time frame (when she had this sudden newfound freedom and thought it was okay to live like college-aged kid).  Yet throughout our relationship, she rarely wanted to stay up past 10pm - even when we were on vacation together with no obligations.  Yeah, talk about communication.  I tried explaining that I was fighting a no-win battle, but she still brings up times where I wasn't there as much as I should have been. 

I know this is still fresh, but I am certainly over the idea of 'us' ever being a thing in the future.  I know I deserve better.  I am still relatively young with lots of love to give.  I no longer want to be that burden who felt responsible for someone else's happiness.  Though I still deeply care for her, her pessimistic attitude was draining on me.  She used to make me feel guilty for the rich social life I had so I cut back a lot. Now, I have just a small circle of friends (I've also become more introverted as I've grown older) so I need to focus on building back those relationships.  

It is hard watching someone who you loved so deeply feel so liberated from severing ties with you.  Like...I was really THAT bad of a person? Our relationship was that meaningless to you???  All I really want from her is to acknowledge the pain and hurt I feel and to be supportive of me.  If roles were reversed I would feel terrible and wish to help in anyway I could - and I'd be elated that my partner was understanding of my choice.  She's getting better with this, but still not as sensitive to my experience as I'd desire her to be. 

January 21, 2018 9:35 am  #16

"Incompatible," all right.  Incompatible sexualities.  
 The discard hurts.  It hurts to see our spouses devalue us and our expressions of appreciation and love.  It hurts to see them acting like college students newly high on independence (while we are acting responsibly for our children and working to pay the bills), and it hurts to see them engaging in life in a way they never did with us, although we always hoped they would.  
  You are, however, now seeing her in a new light and through a new lens, seeing the reality of who she is through her behavior.  And because you are (rightly) appalled at not only the behavior but the insensitivity behind it, you will be able to detach.  
  That's the only value I can see in their devaluing and discard; it propels us to detach, and get on with our future.
  I understand what you say about not being homophobic; many of us here have been active in or at least sympathetic to LGBT rights.  We understand that we separate sexual orientation from hiding, deceiving, cheating and lying.  And yes, it's frustrating to take the high road, and respect her process of coming out, when she didn't respect you, your family, or your marriage.  I think it's good you set out your boundaries for her: that you would tell those you need to tell.  (By the way, would she prefer to tell the kids you're getting divorced because she's gay or that she decided to date other people while you were married and that isn't how wives and husbands are supposed to act?)  
   Finally, here's a piece of advice.  Stop engaging in conversations about your marriage.  There's no point in rehashing or engaging in post mortems.  There's no reason to do it.  You're divorcing.   Friday night I told my husband we're through.  Today is his birthday.  I bought him a card with an elephant on it and a jokey saying, and then I was going to write "If we can even remember how old we are!" but stopped myself, because I realized, from here on out, there is no "we." There's only a "him" and a "me," and it's time to stop acting as if there's a "we."  

January 22, 2018 1:15 pm  #17

1) Were you able to remain close/amicable with your spouse (assuming you separated/divorced)?

For a while, yes.  Until I realized that it was just me doing him favors because I thought if I was nice to him, he'd feel obligated to repay me when it came to be my turn.  Only,..... he not only never stepped up to the plate, but if I asked him for something, he'd was just somehow never in a position to be able to help me.  So I stopped being nice just so we could be friends, and sure as shit, he showed that he wasn't my friend after all.  He was just taking advantage of my good nature.  Once I realized I was being played like a fiddle, I started standing up for what was my right, and then he got nasty.  I'm talking..... me wanting to be paid the child support he'd been ordered to pay.  I don't CARE if you don't have the money to do it - neither do Iiiiiii.  You figure your shit out.  It's not my problem anymore.  And sure enough, he figured it out once the court told him to pay or he'd be in jail.  Suddenly he was able to figure it out.  Interesting.  So no, we're not friends.  I thought we could be, but it just meant me bending over backwards so he could do less than his fair share.  And I had enough of that during our marriage.

2) What and how did you tell your kids (our kids will be 7 and 4)?

Our kids were 14, 10 and 7 when we separated.  He didn't want them to know he was gay, despite the fact that he was living with his boyfriend, at his home - where the kids visited every-other-weekend.  I waited a bit, because there's no great time to tell the kids such news.  But then after a while, I told him enough - if he felt that being gay was okay, then why be ashamed of it?  If it's so bad that you can't own up to it, then maybe you shouldn't be doing it, ya know?  I told him that I was giving him a month to tell the kids.  It must have been longer than that and he still hadn't told them anything.  In the end, I wound up telling two of the kids on accident.  I remember the oldest saying, "Is it true what I'm hearing about Dad?", and me being like, "What, that he's gay?"  And the kid being like, "No! That he's not moving back to this area!  Wait.... he's GAY?!?"  Oops - my bad.  The other kid I don't remember as well, but it was something similar - some misunderstanding that resulted in the information being transferred.  In the end, I wasn't sorry - I'd given him months of living with the gay boyfriend, and enough is enough.  Quit lying to the kids about who this man is.

The 14 year-old was a boy.  He had a difficult time of it. He knew that we'd gotten pregnant out of wedlock with him, so he twisted it into "I was born to hide the fact that my father was gay."  Which may or may not be true.  So he felt that his life was built on a lie, and could never amount to anything.  This kid was always full of excuses though - for any and everything under the sun.  So I told him that no - he wasn't made to hide Dad being gay - he was made in love, and besides, your origins have zero to due with what you can become.  The sky is the limit.  My middle son was very quiet about Dad being gay.  Turns out he feared that he'd "inherit" it.  We constantly assured him that that's not how it works.  He's calmed down considerably.  The youngest - a girl - was just fine with it.  To her, Daddy was still just Daddy.  And I encouraged that.  She' much more open to the gay community than the boys are.

3) Were your kids okay and did they adjust okay to the separation/divorce?
They all adjusted just fine.  Well, the first kid had huge behavioral issues all along, so it's difficult to tell if the divorce made it worse or not.  It did get bad, but I really think it's likely more of a chemical imbalance than anything else.  The other two are fine.  I'm re-married, and my youngest considers her step dad to be her real dad.  The older two do not.  And that's fine by me/my now husband.  They've all grown up in a much happier home than the one that xdh and I had.

4) When and how much did you tell your friends & family about WHY you separated?  I ask because my wife is very slowly coming out of the closet and still very much reluctant to share her secret with many of her friends & family.

I shared it with everyone, eventually.  Initially, I told only a few close friends.  I knew that if I told a SINGLE family member, it'd be all over like wildfire within 24 hours.  Ex and I were still living together, and he was uncomfortable with people knowing.  Turns out that was because he thought that my straight-laced, conservative family would try to let him not see the kids.  I assured him that'd be something I'd never let happen.  And they DID try.  And I told them to cut it out.  He still hasn't told his OWN family, though.  He only has extended family (cousins, aunts/uncles) though, and they're all in a different state and he rarely sees them.  So I get why he wouldn't bring it up.

5) Did you use SSN to help cope with the anxiety and fears you experienced?  Did you attend any of the meetings? If so, did you find them beneficial?

At the time (2010) was a fairly dead bulletin board.  You could post and not get a response for weeks at a time.  There wasn't a whole lot of feedback - only people just kind of divulging their situation.  Which can in and of itself be therapeutic.  But it wasn't the same as it is now.  I never got to go to meetings or meet anyone else in person who'd gone through this.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

January 22, 2018 1:57 pm  #18

OutofHisCloset wrote:

... I understand what you say about not being homophobic; many of us here have been active in or at least sympathetic to LGBT rights.  We understand that we separate sexual orientation from hiding, deceiving, cheating and lying.  

I've been struck by how many of us have always been supportive of LGBT rights.  Of course, now, with 20/20 hindsight I look back on some of the conversations I had with my husband way back when we were dating, and I wonder if somewhere in the back of his mind, was an awareness of what he was ... and an assumption that I'd be the kind of person who wouldn't be put off with his preference.  I'm just speculating, of course, but it does strike me how many of us have posted that we've always been supportive of gays -- in fact, I can't think of anyone here who's posted that they believe same-sex relationships are sinful.  I wonder if our spouses at some level chose us because of this.

Board footera