OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2018 9:01 pm  #1

Happening Fast!

Well,

10 weeks in and things are happening fast.  A good schedule for the kids to stay in one place, but I am one on one off at home.  Living out of a suitcase.   That sucks.  Kids seem to be ok.  Transitioning with a drive by close to the house.  The ex is so far a head.  Comments like oh I never knew you had such deep feelings for me.  Stuff like that. Had a couple real lows at 3 in the morning, but bounced back. Off to get professional advice tomorrow.  That will be good. I don't see myself being able to interact with her that often.  Stabbed in the heart and the back.  This will take some time to heal.  I essentially need her out of my life as best as possible.   She sure wants me to hide in the closet with her.   My wife is so gone.  So gone, and maybe was never there.  Strange world.  She has kept me to a nice 199lbs!!!  6"2.   The whole thing made me lose 25 lbs in under 2 months when she was seeing her 0/10 friend.  Fun!

January 16, 2018 10:31 am  #2

Re: Happening Fast!

It sounds like you're doing really well considering all the stuff you are going through.   Good for you for getting professional advice.  Keep using the pain as motivation to move forward. 

Glad to hear the kids are ok.  They usually do better than we expect.  

Don't hide in her closet if it makes things harder for you.  You don't owe her any secrets.  If telling your story helps you cope and gains you support you need, then tell it.  Don't out her maliciously of course.. but you have a right to tell your own story. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

January 17, 2018 9:51 am  #3

Doing quite well.  Still a roller coaster for sure.   Yes the kids seems to be doing well enough, but you can tell they are acting up here more often I would say.  Saw some old pics of my ex at my parents place and that is not the woman that is alive today.   Simple as that.  I am having a hard time telling people about the split let a lone her orientation.  I guess I feel like a bit of a failure with the marriage ending. Happy to be doing quite well at work and to be a well liked member of a small group here at my job site.  Life goes on.   I have no choice. Going to use my time to get into better shape and get out of my comfort zone. Joining a car club, meeting really old friends.  Going to join a tennis club and so on.

January 17, 2018 12:12 pm  #4

Hi Count, 

you are doing well - it is a rollercoaster for sure.  Tempting as it is to say I fell in love with this woman and she got switched for the one that is there now it isn't exactly accurate.  Any more than it would be to say that pictures of you as a teenager are of a different person - yes, goodness you've changed, on the inside and outside but it's still you, it's still the same person isn't it.  Same for her.

The reason I am banging on about this is because the thing that is so deeply horrifying about this is the betrayal of trust involved, it's heartbreaking, it's soul-deep.

Mirages are real, you know.  as real as the reflection of the sky on the surface of a pond.

My ex has not changed like yours has.  He is still the same as ever, he is still in the closet and everybody thinks he's so nice but I know different.  He's not like that at all.

I think the woman you saw that you loved was a reflection and it says more about you than her.  It talks about the love you are capable of, not her.

Recovering from this is about rebuilding trust in oneself, and I don't feel angry with myself for falling for a mirage, I really don't any more, it's only natural - you live and you learn.  

wishing you all the best, Count, things will get better.

January 17, 2018 1:27 pm  #5

Count,

You're doing very well, even if it doesn't feel like it.  Ten weeks is the infancy stage of this, and you've got a clear head.  And I think that seeking out help is the best course.  It can do nothing but help.

I know what you mean about her being so gone that you're not sure she was ever really there at all.  I feel like that's one of the more painful parts of this - it steals your past from you, too.  You may never get that back, but you will get used to it.  You'll get numb to it and it won't twist you all up after a while.

Why are you living out of a suitcase? I thought you were in one of the homes you two owned together?

Taking care of yourself physically and getting back into some things that interest you are great ideas.  It's like getting a shot of daily happiness.  Good for the soul.

I hate that she's saying things like, "I never knew you had such deep feelings for me".  Nice way to turn this around into being all about her.  It's not "I didn't realize that what I was doing was so hurtful" - it's "Wow, you're SO in love with me!"  How nice.  Of COURSE you had deep feelings for her - you MARRIED her.  What more proof did the woman want?  It's not like you were casually dating and she broke up with you and you flipped out.  It's bullshit that she didn't know.  She knew.  She's just using this to compliment herself.

As for you being in great shape and a "0" stealing her away from you, flip it around.  You were SO good looking and awesome that you were able to get a lesbian to marry you!  You didn't KNOW that, but even people not attracted to individuals of your sex couldn't resist you.  That's how I look at it.  And you know what? It's TRUE.

And YOU didn't fail the marriage.  I understand the tendency to think that way - most people feel like a failure at marriage if their marriage ends.  Because we're led to believe that love conquers all, and that if we put our mind to something, we can do ANYthing.  Well, not really.  We can't make someone else feel anything.  And that's what would have had to changed for your marriage to survive.  Hell, SHE couldn't even make herself feel what she wanted to.  So how could YOU?

I prefer to look at the gay thing in my previous marriage like it was a hit by an asteroid.  I certainly didn't know it was coming.  I couldn't have moved out of its way.  It seemed random at the time - as though it could have happened to anyone, anywhere (which is true).  So my marriage got hit by an asteroid I have named "Gay".  No one hears that and is like, "Huh - and you didn't move the home to a different field where asteroids won't hit it?"  No - it's random, and if I'd have KNOWN, I wouldn't have build there.  This is no different.  You didn't fail.  It didn't work.  Plain and simple.  It didn't work because she wasn't honest with you.  You just didn't know that.  If you HAD, you wouldn't have believed her.  But she lied well, and you - being the loving, trusting person that you are, believed the person who said and acted as though she loved you.  That's not foolish - it's what we ALL do.  Some of us just didn't have all the information - and we didn't know that.  It's not your fault, and you didn't fail.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

January 19, 2018 1:16 am  #6

Kel, I don't know who you are, but you are a special person.  Thank you.  Yes.  You summed it up.  Oh yes.  I am living out of a suitcase because one house is 4 hours away and we are 1 on 1 off at the house.  Soon to change.  Funnily she mentioned how her friends and parents were so excited that I was her boyfriend way back in the day. Yup. She knew and just wanted this life.  I am doing well because I have been dealing with a distant wife and her affair for a year now. Oh I had a 0 % chance.  Simple.  Yup.  Full head of hair 6"2 and 199lbs.  No tattoos and going to have to move one.  Hurt and living with a broken heart.  She met me and I had a $100,000 in stocks at 22 and so on and whatever. Honesty.  Wish I had 10 million to get her back, and I would be happy to have nothing to have her back. I never can and never will.  I hope to find that special someone at some time.  Life goes on.  No choice.  Thank you.  Your words mean more then you will ever know.

January 19, 2018 1:17 am  #7

Lily.  You too. I bet you can guess my daughters name.

January 19, 2018 11:18 am  #8

thanks Count.

I think you'll find that a large number of us straight spouses are absolute stunners!  I remember when I first came on this forum there was a thread about it - person after person said the same.  I am a 63 year old stunner now.  It's true I really am, I have grown waist length hair, it is thick and still my natural colour.  Most of my peers are fully grey by now.

For me it is well it's too much - from teenager to over the hill - it was like Sleeping Beauty being kissed by Prince Charming and waking up feeling the same but omg disaster has struck but you are waking up in the prime of your life.  So tho you must face the undeniably painful loss of your youth you can rest assured you are still handsome.

wishing you all the best.

January 19, 2018 1:44 pm  #9

Thanks, Count.

There are plenty of areas in this new scenario that you can't change.  See where some opportunity lies to change things, though.  If you're living out of a suitcase, get a dresser.  Lol.  I know that's simplistic, but you get my drift.  Sometimes putting the little things in order can make us feel like we're living much more of a normal life.

You'll get there.  Pain is your companion right now, and although that sucks, it's totally normal.  You're doing fine.  Better than most at this stage.  You're going to be just fine one day soon. 

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

January 20, 2018 11:39 am  #10

Well,
She is worried about getting her money and fair share as my parents are both on title on this house.  She will get X amount and life goes on.  At the end of the texts she says she isn't thinking about her orientation much, but the kids and where she will live and budgeting.  Fair enough.  She has done her legal homework.  I can tell that!!!!  Up at 3am thinking about it, but doing ok.  I spot a lesbian or 2 daily.  some are easy to spot now.  It all kind of sucks, but life has to go on.  No choice.  I hate to say it, but I have been checking out a lot of women lately.  Not hitting on or flirting or anything, but really noticing some very attractive women out there. 

Board footera