OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2018 12:22 am  #21

Re: PTSD

Oh.  It is real.  They are just so far a head and so past us.   I live in a smaller town.  Since we have kids I will see her a lot.  Once she has another girlfriend I will ask for her schedule so I don't run into her. Yup.  Oh and her mom will be so mortified once she sees that!

January 10, 2018 2:09 pm  #22

The PTSD we are dealing with is not directly because of TGT.   It's more about the abuse that happened.  I can see from a very limited perspective how torn up and warped my husband became.  I do believe a lot of that was caused by his "suppression" of being gay.  (Not too suppressed for cheating, though!)  Also from his very difficult childhood. Now that being said, understanding is one thing...acceptance is another altogether.  He does not in any way own up to the great damage he has done, either to me or to our children.  He just blames.  

The kids and I are just starting to come up for air.  My STBX moved out almost 1 year ago.  We are learning how to be a new group, these 5 kids and me.  We now have more good days than  bad days.  We can for periods of time, actually all (all- meaning the kids and I) be in the same room, doing the same activity.  We practice it a lot, and we are actually having fun together and trying like heck to make new and positive memories.   (Like eating dinner together without someone getting emotionally beat up.)  When their dad first left, the kids really lost it for awhile, turning on each other and turning against themselves. the all-nighters are much less now, where I'm just comforting a crying kid or teenager.  I have a little fold out chair/bed thing that they can use if they need to sleep in my room to feel safe. 

It's better now, thank God.  LOTS of therapy, prayer, and baby steps.  We just keep doing another day.  

January 10, 2018 10:12 pm  #23

Tam,

I like that you make the kids feel safe.  I used to comfort my kids..staying until they fell asleep...hiding from the rage.

I think God sees this..in this life or the next.

Warm wishes of strength and fortitude.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

January 10, 2018 10:33 pm  #24

You may want to research Complex PTSD.  This is what I most identified with.  So did my son.  The co-dependent classification definitely was not my situation, if anything, that label was even more traumatizing.

Board footera