OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2018 1:59 pm  #11

Re: Is my Boyfriend gay or am i paranoid?

Confused,

As much as we women want to think that our men's first attraction to us is our personality and other mental strengths, that's just not how they work.  The first thing out of their mouth will always be your looks.  Maybe something very specific.  "What do you like about me?" "YOUR BOOBS!"  It sounds so cliche, but it's simply..... true.  Men don't fall in love the same way women do - they like the outside appearance first, and then they get to know the full package.  But #1 on their mind is still and will always be your body - for a straight man.

Men may have a deep respect for someone whom they really like, admire and respect.  They my even feel love for that woman - be she a cherished relative, a coworker, or a friend.  But they won't be IN love with them if they're not attracted to them.  The attractiveness can build once they get to know the woman, or it can shrink.  But first and foremost is attraction.  If a man's talking about your personality first and foremost (unless he thinks that's what you want to hear), he's not a straight dude in love with you.  He may like your personality - of that there is no doubt.  And I think that is true more as time passes and our looks fade.  But for a straight young man in love with a woman?  Looks first.  Even if we don't like that.

Guys....... am I right?

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

January 8, 2018 5:48 pm  #12

If by "guys" you mean men, disregard this. 
If you mean "guys" in the conventional sense of "everybody," then maybe this counts.
In my experience men can be attracted by a smile, a witty remark, your hair, or your kindness.  Of by your legs or some other body part.  
 Frankly I think it's insulting, what you've said about men. 

January 8, 2018 7:02 pm  #13

This is probably a debate we should have in another thread.  It's a very interesting topic, one that I think would be fun to discuss.  BUT, let's leave this thread dedicated to Confused and her situation specifically. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

January 8, 2018 8:40 pm  #14

My last word on this is that yes, it's important to the success of a marriage that there be a sexual spark between the two partners.  But that's as far as I'd go in making blanket statements about men and what they're attracted by.

January 9, 2018 10:43 am  #15

Much luck to you Confused. Keep us posted and let us know how it goes. 

“And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain, when you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.” ~ Haruki Murakami ~

January 9, 2018 11:29 am  #16

OoHC,

That's not what I meant at ALL.  I didn't mean that men are only attracted to typically sexual body parts.  But, as suggested, we should probably leave this topic for debate on another thread entirely.  There was certainly no offense meant.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

January 10, 2018 8:22 am  #17

hi everyone, thank you for all your support, I really appreciate it.. So I ended it on Saturday night and he was at my house  on Sunday early in the morning saying he just wanted to see me for a few minutes .. foolishly I went and when I got into his car I started crying and he hugged me.. I told him that me and him could only be friends and he was telling me that he loved me and then after he was like I was born like this... I know he is gay and he is just scared to come out.... now my biggest worry is my health.. I got tested for all STDs and I'm now anxiously waiting for my results.. Before I met him because I got tested for everything and I had nothing... this has been one of most difficult times of my life I hope he didn't give me any disease.. I foolishly trusted him and I'm so mad at myself.. I just took his word when he told he was clean and he didn't seem to be the lying type.. I was deceived.. he was telling me he had never felt love like this before.. now I know it was all a lie.. I was just his cover.. now I keep on thinking what if he was hooking up with men behind my back when he took all those shopping trips ...  my head is a mess.. when I saw the health advisor yesterday she told me that I should ask him to go and tested just in case if he has anything it will show and that I have to be there when he gets the results.  I asked him to go and get tested the other day and I have to keep on pushing him to get tested.... I keep on asking why me why me.. but well it has been a huge learning experience.. I wish I never met him...

January 10, 2018 9:19 am  #18

Well done confused.  

I can imagine that was extremely difficult on you.  But you did the right thing.  I'm so glad you avoided further mistakes and more wasted time with him.   Praying that your tests come back negative. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

January 17, 2018 10:21 am  #19

Thank you phoenix, I got my results thankfully they were all negative but I will be going back to get tasted again in a couple of months..  even though I left him and feel betrayed i cant help but I miss my ex.. he was my best friend... I really want this punishment to stop now... I don't deserve this pain..

January 17, 2018 1:39 pm  #20

You definitely don't deserve this pain.  None of us did.  

But you can use this as a learning experience and point of reference for your future.  When you find love again you will see how much better it is to be with a straight man and you will appreciate how great things are.  

Board footera