OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 29, 2017 10:25 am  #1

10 Pillars I Learned on this Journey - Support for All

As 2017 and my marriage draw to official ends (my divorce was final, after 3 years of fighting, just before Christmas) I thought it might be encouraging to post some of the things I have learned from my 30 year marriage to a narcissistic homosexual.  Some of these are "tough" lessons and they may not be part of your story, however, I share them in case they can give you strength, hope or inspiration.  Like so many of you here, I am over 50 now (51), was a stay at home mom with no income of my own, and was diagnosed with cancer two years ago.  I have, however, refused to let these facts define me or my opportunities!  

Here's what I learned along the way:  1) You get what you tolerate (ouch).  This painful reflection led me to lesson 2) Everyone has the right and responsibility to set and enforce personal boundaries (including me).  If we don't, we end up abused.  For me, this traced back to my childhood.  A narcissist seems to be especially skilled in finding those of us who have any weakness in this area.  3) When someone shows you who they really are believe them - the first time!  One of Maya Angelou's best quotes.  Lying, deceit and abuse are choices of disrespect.  I am no longer an enabler of such choices. 4) Life's heartbreaks are God's/Universe's way of getting your attention.  Your life's purpose lies in another direction - prepare to move on!  There was an unhealthy security in my "familiar" even though it was destructive to my psyche.  I struggled to get past this point and finally file for the divorce.  5) Forgive yourself.  I beat myself up constantly at the beginning.  Why didn't I see this?  Why did I stay so long?  Why did I give up my personal development/power for his?  The truth?  Fear.  What is forgiveness (I had a distorted understanding of this one)?  Deciding to not waste my precious time, energy, emotions, thoughts and soul space on those who do not appreciate, value or respect me.  It is OK to not put his/her needs first 24/7 (one of the demands of the narcissist).  6 A man's/woman's secrets are not yours - tell your story!  Don't be undervalued; you are worth more!  My ex told/threatened me to keep his secret.  When this particular dam burst, I began the healing process.  7)You can't change your life remaining where you are, doing the same things or replaying the past.  Be courageous; you were created to prosper!  Impossible becomes I'M POSSIBLE. 8) Dream big and begin to think with purpose; everything in life is available to you no matter what your current circumstances. 9) Change your thoughts (you are enough), change your actions (create a written plan to create and attain the life of your dreams and begin your journey), change your world (it takes work, become unstoppable!). 10) I am the master of my fate; I will embrace every challenge, every opportunity and I will live FULL!
The journey of life has continued on.  I have come to realize that I could never have had this opportunity while married to him.  So, as 2017 draws to an end, I can give thanks for the transitions and new challenges in my life.  Each one teaches me something new.   For those of you in the midst of the nightmare of discovering your spouse is gay, my heart is with you. Remind yourself everyday of your great courage; know that you have great strength inside you and you will act at the time that is right for you.  May 2018 bring to you the gift of spring when life begins anew!  E-hugs to everyone!

December 29, 2017 2:34 pm  #2

Re: 10 Pillars I Learned on this Journey - Support for All

Thanks for the Great words!  I have slowly been telling the stories of having a gay spouse.   It is a huge relief to get it off your back.  I am not just openly blabbing it, but it is my story too!  I must too leave so much that is familiar in this world.  Time to get out of the comfort zone in 2018 and meet some great new people and create some great new memories with my kids and family.  I will not let her destroy me.  Too strong for that!!!

December 29, 2017 2:46 pm  #3

Hannah,

Congratulation on getting away from your gay spouse and narcissist.    I agree with number 1;  I tolerated so much from my GX .. a lot was self esteem sure  but a lot was because I lovvvved her..    In a normal relationship with a normal person I think tolerance and going along with your partner should be OK..  But
I was not in a normal marriage.     
Like you I spent several years getting away from my GX,  I'm middle aged now but I thank God for getting me away from such a hurtful and abusive person.

I think 2018 is going to be our best year yet ..e-hugs and congratulations again.

Last edited by Rob (December 29, 2017 2:47 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 29, 2017 3:06 pm  #4

Hannah....those are great words of advice and they really hit home for me. I just started this journey 1 year ago on new years day when I found out (accidentally). I've been pushing it under the rug for far too long. I'm still not sure how to proceed with all of this. I'm afraid to tell my family, it's just so humiliating and it hurts so bad. 
I agree with Rob, I'm hoping 2018 will be the best year yet!

“And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain, when you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.” ~ Haruki Murakami ~

December 29, 2017 5:06 pm  #5

Deleted

Last edited by Duped (August 28, 2019 2:10 pm)

December 29, 2017 5:49 pm  #6

Congratulations on finalizing the divorce. Thanks for your thoughts !

December 30, 2017 9:17 am  #7

HannahB4,
 Congratulations on your divorce. 
 Thank you so much for posting your "10 Pillars."  There is so much wisdom distilled in those 10 principles.
For me personally, I  love how you say, in #1, that we have both the "right" AND the "responsibility" to set boundaries. Those of us with "boundary issues" often have difficulty with the idea that we have the "right" to set them, and thinking that setting boundaries is a "responsibility" can help us--can help me, at least--over that hurdle.   What you say in #4, "There was an unhealthy security in my "familiar" even though it was destructive to my psyche," is exactly what I need to hear right now.  That I am giving fear too much power (your #5) , and that fear is linked to forgiveness, is an intriguing concept, one I'm going to think more about.
   It seems to me that what you've written could be seen as the concrete and intermediate steps in the larger process of grieving, accepting, and letting go in order to move forward.

December 31, 2017 12:38 am  #8

This is amazing and what I needed to hear.  Thank you for putting what I feel and what probably many others feel in words that make sense.  The part about the boundaries rings truest.  I think a lot of us struggle with that with many people in our lives not just our gay exes.....I needed to hear this tonight.  Thank you....

Board footera